Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Waaa what a surprise!

N3ptune

This is it!

I saw my first --- today! until I installed the telescope to realize it was not a --- but another strange object. I spotted it with naked eye, my first weather balloon!

During the day at around 18:45 it was a fairly large star in the sky at maybe 40d from the ground so I sit on a bench outside looking at the field then I see THAT bright star.. "what is that star?" then I try to see if it could be a planet.. no, the moon (because there is an event today with the planets, could it be that? unlikely), could it be a plane? no, it's too stable to be a plane. (I live close to an airport)

Now I am getting excited, I run inside the house to find my pair of binoculars and all I see is a small oval silver shape, very bright.. WOW! Then I run downstairs to take the telescope, installed it in about 3 minutes, put the 18mm eyepiece on and PAF!

It's a big nice weather balloon! but a lovely one very nice shape with a device with 3 lights in the form of a triangle attached to it.

I took a few pictures, this was the mysterious unknown star during the day, close to the trees.

EwSUP4F.jpg?1

This is about what I could see with the binoculars, a bit less, it's from the finder of course at maybe 9x

yNSyBCe.jpg?1

And with the telescope 18mm eyepiece 55x now it's obvious. This is my best shot with my camera at the exit pupil.

lVfg5zm.jpg?1

And another inferior shot.

fOkPBIM.jpg?1

Wow that was intense, when you don't know what you see in the sky?  YESS (:   Very happy right now.

1 hour ago, Dave In Vermont said:

Indeed!

I had no idea the Zeta-Reticulans are using 'weather-balloons' as advance scout-ships!

Did you go for your shotgun and try to force a landing? Must not allow any illegal-aliens entry, you know...

Dave  :p

Lol :p no I am not from Texas and I heard It's against the law to shoot at an unidentified flying object.

I wrote to Weather Canada 10 minutes ago about the balloon including my logs and pictures, to know more about the mission of this particular balloon, I hope they will feed me with information, it could be interesting.

1 hour ago, Red Dwarfer said:

I seen something vary in brightness about 10 degrees above the Pleiades tonight as well - looked like a star but went from bright to dim in 3 second intervals then stopped when I tried to get a closer look with binoculars - a weather balloon , maybe ? 

I am in Canada so it's not the same thing for sure, it's better not to speculate too much about what your saw unfortunately...

===============

I have this other picture too, it looks pretty much like my first the view in the binoculars. When I saw a stable bright orb like that in the sky (much much slower then a plane), I had an increase in heart rate. 

eG68vVk.jpg?1

Nice catch! I had never seen a pic of a weather balloon taken through an amateur stargazer's telescope. When I was a kid the local newspaper talked about people confusing weather balloons with alien spaceships, but despite the many articles over the years, the paper never showed a picture of a weather balloon, and didn't even print a written description!

This was so frustrating! Luckily now we can access these images to make up our minds about them, or even take these pics ourselves.

Archived