Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Misnamed filters how to process

Call me stupid but I have a feeling either my filters are in the wrong place, or for this data set I missnamed the filename suffix for the filters in my picture taking software (in this case Sequence generator pro).
With reference to the attached screen shot:
The picture on the left is a very fast process of the tulip nebula with (according to my suffixes and FITS headers) HA as green, Sulfur as Blue and Oxygen as Green. (i.e. sulfur and oxygen are swapped). Image 4 is what I thought was a hubble palette, HA as green, Sulfur red and Oxygen blue) but it is "reversed" according to the hubble tulips I have seen (ie what looks blue should be the yellow colour and vice versa).  I have added the Oxygen and Sulfur channel pictures (sulfur is "Sd" and Oxygen "Od").

My first  thought is that in setting up an  SGP sequence I misalloclated the suffixes so that in fact what is labelled Sulfur is actually oxygen and vice versa.
Presumably this means that in integrating they have picked up the wrong flats, if I am correct in thinking the sulfur and oxygen are misnamed?
Incidentally, this is a remote set up so it is not straightforward to physically check....
TIA for any light shed....

hubbleprobs.JPG

Hi.

I had a similar problem where I had the filters in the right order but selected the wrong filter name/suffix in SGPro. I used F4W2HDU Fits4Win2 Data Header Utility to edit the fits header info. It's a bit of a pain because the free version does not allow batch editing. Hopefully I'll never have to use it again!59c91563ca697_Screenshot2017-09-2515_37_35.png.68399739adc443d432dfd66af3d34beb.png

Hope this is of some help.

• 6 months later...
On 26/09/2017 at 00:41, Adreneline said:

Hi.

I had a similar problem where I had the filters in the right order but selected the wrong filter name/suffix in SGPro. I used F4W2HDU Fits4Win2 Data Header Utility to edit the fits header info. It's a bit of a pain because the free version does not allow batch editing. Hopefully I'll never have to use it again!59c91563ca697_Screenshot2017-09-2515_37_35.png.68399739adc443d432dfd66af3d34beb.png

Hope this is of some help.

Hi, I just came acress this thread and am the author of F4W2HDU.

Let me clarify a couple of things, 

1. There is no paid version of the software, only the free version.

2. It does indeed do batch processing. It was specifically written for this.

The header edits are added to an update plan, then you select all of the files you want to update and execute the plan.

The plan can consist of Updates, Inserts or Deletions of any of the supported keyword and value pairs.

For example, you can update all Filter values that equal Blue to Red, etc.

All of the files that have filter=blue in the files you have selected, will be updated.

Or you can choose to insert Filter=Red in all of the chosen files and it will only be inserted if a Filter value does not already exist. Or you can plan combinations of Inserts and Updates to satisfy your requirements.

The only keywords that cannot be changed are small set of critical keywords. It's a very flexible and powerful tool and I'm sorry to hear that you didn't get to use it to it's fullest potential.

I am always open to helping anyone that asks, so if you do need to use it again, feel free to ask if you need help working it out.

5 hours ago, EddieTrimarchi said:

Hi, I just came acress this thread and am the author of F4W2HDU.

Let me clarify a couple of things, 

1. There is no paid version of the software, only the free version.

2. It does indeed do batch processing. It was specifically written for this.

The header edits are added to an update plan, then you select all of the files you want to update and execute the plan.

The plan can consist of Updates, Inserts or Deletions of any of the supported keyword and value pairs.

For example, you can update all Filter values that equal Blue to Red, etc.

All of the files that have filter=blue in the files you have selected, will be updated.

Or you can choose to insert Filter=Red in all of the chosen files and it will only be inserted if a Filter value does not already exist. Or you can plan combinations of Inserts and Updates to satisfy your requirements.

The only keywords that cannot be changed are small set of critical keywords. It's a very flexible and powerful tool and I'm sorry to hear that you didn't get to use it to it's fullest potential.

I am always open to helping anyone that asks, so if you do need to use it again, feel free to ask if you need help working it out.

Hi Eddie,

Thank you for responding in such a helpful manner. I must apologise for having misrepresented the potential of your software. I am a little surprised no one else corrected me at the time (seven months ago now) for not using the software to its full potential so hopefully your clarification will be of help to others.

In my defense when this type of 'crisis' occurs you are just so glad you find something that exists to get you out of the mess you've created for yourself. The problem is that I have not made the same mistake twice - yet! - so I haven't used the software since and the next time I do it will all be rather unfamiliar again. The fact is your software was a lifesaver at the time - used to best effect or otherwise - and for that I am very grateful.

Thank you again for putting me on the straight and narrow and my apologies for my inaccuracies in describing your software.

Adrian

Archived