SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Travel scope or binos?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After recent wonderful views through a tiny pair of 8 x 50 Pentax I would definitely recommend binoculars.  Of course a travel scope is very good also, but you do need to then consider mount and accessories etc.  Benefit of the travel scope is of course it can readily be used for imaging if required.

I have a pair of Celestron 25 x 100, but the smaller ones are easier as the wider FOV is lovely and you don't need a tripod, which you do with the larger ones.

If it is literally a choice of one or the other, I would go for the bino's, but then I already have a travel scope.

How much are you looking to spend?

There are advantages and disadvantages to both.  The scope, even with the same size aperture will give more flexibility to view different objects optimally dues to varying magnifications available through taking different eyepieces.  Binoculars you are stuck with one field of view.  However, Bins are truly grab and go (the smaller ones at least) as they can be hand held.  A scope will require a tripod and mount which adds to the equipment that must be carried.

I travel a lot and prefer scopes, but I must admit I do find myself some times thinking that the ease of binoculars would be rather nice.

6 minutes ago, RayD said:

After recent wonderful views through a tiny pair of 8 x 50 Pentax I would definitely recommend binoculars.  Of course a travel scope is very good also, but you do need to then consider mount and accessories etc.  Benefit of the travel scope is of course it can readily be used for imaging if required.

I have a pair of Celestron 25 x 100, but the smaller ones are easier as the wider FOV is lovely and you don't need a tripod, which you do with the larger ones.

If it is literally a choice of one or the other, I would go for the bino's, but then I already have a travel scope.

I'm leaning more towards binos anyway TBH as I am looking to upgrade my current scope to something more powerful.

when it comes to picking a scope I'm ok, binos and I am lost!

I was looking at some 12x30 binos with a 1080p Hd camcorder built in.

this is where I get confused 12x30 8x50 25x100???? I'm not sure what I will see/how much I will see,

if I buy something I want to get some good views of you know what I mean, 

are the 12x30 no good for astronomy? Could you tell me more about 8x50 vs 25x100 in terms of pros and cons of viewing

thanks mate

6 minutes ago, DirkSteele said:

How much are you looking to spend?

There are advantages and disadvantages to both.  The scope, even with the same size aperture will give more flexibility to view different objects optimally dues to varying magnifications available through taking different eyepieces.  Binoculars you are stuck with one field of view.  However, Bins are truly grab and go (the smaller ones at least) as they can be hand held.  A scope will require a tripod and mount which adds to the equipment that must be carried.

I travel a lot and prefer scopes, but I must admit I do find myself some times thinking that the ease of binoculars would be rather nice.

I don't have a perticular price range in mind I will spend what ever is nessecary but at the same time would like some bang for my buck. Thanks mate

If your looking more towards binos then the minimum size for decent views of the sky I would go with somewhere around 12x50. Larger 15x70's are good, but would require a tripod or something to get the best from them. Currently the main size of binos I reach for are my 12x50, with occasional use of my 7x50's if I want a wider view.

Binoculars will not give the astronomical detail that you would expect from a telescope,  especially looking at the Planets.
 I can look at the Moon with 10x50 binoculars and it looks ok, maybe a little closer with my 15x70s but at 300x on the Telescope there's no going back, but I still feel binoculars are essential to have aside your scope.

For me, I prefer low powered, wide angle views, great for observing larger swathes of the night sky, and very easy to hand hold, though I still often use a tripod with my 8x40's, which of the few pairs I have (their not all listed here) Its the 8x40's that get the most use after dark!

I'd always choose a scope over bins. Large bins need mounting just like a scope and I find for extended viewing looking down into a scope is much more comfortable than looking up with bins.

From your previous posts it looks like you've already got a 130p. Is that too large to take with you? Or if the mount is the problem would something like the new AZ5 be portable enough?

4 minutes ago, Ricochet said:

I'd always choose a scope over bins. Large bins need mounting just like a scope and I find for extended viewing looking down into a scope is much more comfortable than looking up with bins.

From your previous posts it looks like you've already got a 130p. Is that too large to take with you? Or if the mount is the problem would something like the new AZ5 be portable enough?

I'm getting shut of the 130p, I'm getting a 200p dob

I wanted some thing for grab and go I would even take the 200p out if it was a planned trip 

You'll want something like this Ravelli tripod with pistol grip head. You might also want a better tripod adaptor if the one supplied is plastic. Astroboot often have a metal one with a two-hole finder fitting on to you can fit an RDF to.

Try them out before buying a new mount. You might find that at 12x they are just about manageable to hand hold.

8 minutes ago, Ricochet said:

You'll want something like this Ravelli tripod with pistol grip head. You might also want a better tripod adaptor if the one supplied is plastic. Astroboot often have a metal one with a two-hole finder fitting on to you can fit an RDF to.

Try them out before buying a new mount. You might find that at 12x they are just about manageable to hand hold.

Thank you very much

3 hours ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

Nathan I think you have made a good choice. I often use my 15x70 Apollo Binos and enjoy viewing the brighter DSOs. I have a Son living in California and these binos are fantastic viewing the lower parts of Scorpio and Sagittarius. I only use them hand held lying back in a reclining chair.

Thanks mate they was a bargain only  £46 brand new. They have been posted already so should have them by Wednesday can't wait! Think I'm going to opt for a monopod for extra portability

I generally use my Galileo 15x70mm binos for viewing large open clusters like the Pleiades and Collinder 70 and for searching for comets.  As Mark at Beaufort suggests, sitting in a reclining position, preferably a rocker recliner, works best.  I also prefer to hold them by the objective end for better stability since that's where most of the weight lies.  Using them with a tripod just ruins their portability.  You might as well use a binoviewer in a refractor.  It's more versatile and steadier, just no where near as wide.

As Charic suggests, 8x40mm to 8x44mm binos are great all-rounders.  I take them with me on most trips because they take up so little room, are fairly light, and are fairly easy to hold steady.  I have 20 year old Meade 8x42mm binos that are most similar to these.  They're also great for daytime use as well.

Archived