Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

• Announcements

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar.thumb.jpg.ef4882eb5fb3610f8a68e5e6913de0e3.jpg

smudgeball

Little Observatory Build

Alan White    871

Looks a nice job.
How does the roof cope with sideways rain as the slide has a gap in the pictures.

• Like 1

smudgeball    192

The roof was slightly open for that picture.

There is a slight gap at that end which I have plugged with a rubber strip (still a slight gap so will have to see.)

I

• Like 1

Alan White    871
2 hours ago, smudgeball said:

Can't wait !

Just an extension lead to reel out and slide off the roof. :icon_biggrin:

You make it even more appealing with that last comment about power.

Enjoy. 

Astro_king    48
On 18/09/2017 at 13:44, smudgeball said:

My pier is a converted skywatcher pier with a base and some stabilising fins welded on by a local blacksmith.

So this....

skywatcher_pillar_mount_white.jpg.6e28c896b048654e8f13b82d7b129c9d.jpg

Became this

20170518_163151_a.thumb.jpg.49d03428458e2bd85b91cf5a7d702e53.jpg

It was then a case of digging out for a concrete foundation block.

20170618_144126.thumb.jpg.acd3708d5e75d5de5fa27e8236f2676b.jpg

Some mdf sheet I had lying around, painted to prevent moisture escaping too quickly from concrete.

Concrete poured and formwork removed.

20170716_104419.thumb.jpg.3aa9c3c39f5b8d148cecb4a5db4e5172.jpg

So that was the start of my adventure.

I'll update with more once I've uploaded the rest of my images.

Neil

Looking good!

How much did it cost to convert the pier?

smudgeball    192

Morning

That was £75 to modify.

Only downside is I'm stuck with the three spreader feet to dispose of.

• Like 1

Astro_king    48
17 minutes ago, smudgeball said:

Morning

That was £75 to modify.

Only downside is I'm stuck with the three spreader feet to dispose of.

I was contemplating getting this but the three long legs at 48 cm each was too much for my little obsy.

You have given me hope :)

I am guessing you sourced the parts for the welding bit for the base as well from somewhere?

• Like 1

smudgeball    192

The blacksmith cut all the metal for me, I literally dropped off the tube to them and gave them an idea of what I wanted.

Round base, four 14mm holes and four stabilising fins.

They used 10mm plate, was a two man lift to get it round the back of my garden !

Neil

Astro_king    48
1 hour ago, smudgeball said:

The blacksmith cut all the metal for me, I literally dropped off the tube to them and gave them an idea of what I wanted.

Round base, four 14mm holes and four stabilising fins.

They used 10mm plate, was a two man lift to get it round the back of my garden !

Neil

Thanks mate.

I just got off discussing with Martin from FLO regarding this Pier and since he didn't have it in front of him he suggested the legs might be movable from the bottom to move the AZ pointer as it can't be moved from the top as it is screwed in.

I don't want the north of the tripod to have a leg facing dead north as that makes the mount to be too far out towards the south in my little observatory and my C8 would end up touching the door area.

Would be great if you could confirm if the tripod is adjustable from the bottom to move the pier in any direction? would also save black smith cost.

Edited by Astro_king

ollypenrice    17,056
On 07/10/2017 at 19:39, smudgeball said:

And last one for today with balance and cable check.

22256757_10214674112791433_5864135884172142818_o.thumb.jpg.fd483f7127e9753eba0adca048c0754a.jpg

I did have a "moment" with the clearance at the back of the camera, but it clears with 10cm to spare.

You can always put a bit of counterweight at the front or back to fine tune the position of the OTA on the dovetail if you're flirting with a wall at one end...

Olly

smudgeball    192
34 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

You can always put a bit of counterweight at the front or back to fine tune the position of the OTA on the dovetail if you're flirting with a wall at one end...

Olly

Thanks

All ok for clearance, I've run the mount round every position possible.

Had a good night on Wednesday to check things out for three or four hours.

Mostly polar align and then trying to remember how everything works again ! (been almost two years since I last used the Atik in anger)

The best bit of the night was when the clouds rolled in at half one and I just parked the scope, powered everything down and closed the roof :icon_biggrin:

I looked at that NEQ6 and my back said THANKYOU !

• Like 1

Sp@ce_d    454
2 hours ago, smudgeball said:

Thanks

All ok for clearance, I've run the mount round every position possible.

Had a good night on Wednesday to check things out for three or four hours.

Mostly polar align and then trying to remember how everything works again ! (been almost two years since I last used the Atik in anger)

The best bit of the night was when the clouds rolled in at half one and I just parked the scope, powered everything down and closed the roof :icon_biggrin:

I looked at that NEQ6 and my back said THANKYOU !

Nice build... an Obsy is a lovely thing to have & makes such a difference. The neq6 & my back was the deciding factor for doing mine. It won't be long before you'll be wanting to motorise the roof & automate from the house.. trust me 😆

• Like 1

smudgeball    192
2 hours ago, Sp@ce_d said:

& automate from the house.. trust me 😆

RDP is working ..........:tongue2:

• Haha 1

MarsG76    1,444

Your Obsy looks great...

You'll love having a observatory... loving my one... it makes setup and resuming imaging or observing so much faster and more comfortable.

MarsG76    1,444

Oh By the way, bit of my experience with cabling...

Even though you checked the cable clearance, still keep an eye on it... I thought my cable clearance was good... more than the 10cm clearance, And during a meridian flip a cable snagged under the DEC adjustment knob and destroyed the USB port in my 40D... another need to pull the 40D apart.. hopefully it'll be open and straight forward enough to de solder and solder in a replacement I got... surface mount soldering is always so much fun... not.