Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep2_banner.thumb.jpg.e37c929f88100393e885b7befec4c749.jpg

Luna-tic

Transport carrier for my C8 Edge

I just finished a transport box for my Edge 8" and AVX mount. I'd built a similar setup for the C6 I have, I wanted something I could use to store the telescope and mount in that would protect it, plus have something to make it easier to transport when going afield for viewing or AP. This is made from 1/2" birch veneer plywood, it's nothing really fancy, just butt joints, glue and brass screws . I wanted it to remain more utilitarian than "furniture", but dressed it up a little with brass hardware and a nice stain and polyurethane finish. It's in two pieces to make it easier to lift and pack into a vehicle; one box for the OTA, the other for the mount and accessories. These two boxes clamp together and fit on a small hand truck that can be used vertically or horizontally. The tripod I plan to get a bag for, and will strap it to the outside somehow, and all my EP and diagonals are in a separate case. The only other thing I'll have to hand carry is my dew shield. The OTA box is padded with foam rubber cut to fit and covered in a heavy upholstery fabric, the mount uses the large closed-cell cutout that it came shipped in, I dimensioned the box so it would slide in or out, so I can still use the cutout if I ever have to ship the mount for repairs, etc (hope not). Both the OTA and mount have retaining straps with quick-release buckles. Alongside the mount are compartments for gear; I have the counterweights, dew heater, controller and power cord for the mount, the finder scope for the OTA, a couple of field books and my notebook and manuals, and an accessory weight for the OTA. There's still room for other stuff, and I suppose it won't take me long to fill it up. The last picture shows both carriers. The one for the C6 will also carry the tripod.

DSC_0647.JPG

DSC_0649.JPG

DSC_0652.JPG

DSC_0643.JPG

DSC_0653.JPG

DSC_0645.JPG

DSC_0662.JPG

DSC_0660.JPG

• Like 5

Very nice. You really have made a sterling job of that, well done. You've got me thinking now, currently I'm using the Artesky range of bags to store and transport my ota's but your solution looks far more robust. 

I'm very tempted to have a go at something similar although it may not have the same finesse as your effort :icon_biggrin:

I learned from the first one I made, which is shown in the last picture. It's self-contained, has its own wheels and is very easy to roll around, but if you need to lift it, as into the back of a SUV or estate car, you need two people. The new one is manageable by one person to load and unload, although the larger box, which has the mount and accessories, weighs about 60 lb. when loaded (that includes two 11 lb. counterweights). The box the OTA goes in is easy to lift. The only time they need picking up, though, is to place in a car or remove from a car

I'm 63, not the 'he-man' I used to be, so making things manageable is becoming a priority. Once this setup is on the hand truck, it is a breeze to move around. I imagine a smaller truck would work, even something that folds up, like sales reps use, or travelers for their baggage. I could have purchased something commercially made, like a Pelican case, but I enjoy making things from wood (I built the room you see in the pictures), and it makes it unique. I used simple joinery, and it took me about a week to make, working on it evenings after work.

Edited by Luna-tic

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Tugboat
      I'm having a bit of a clearout to make way for a new project.  For sale here are a couple of items that have seen very litle use:
      1) Celestron Omni CG-4 GEM Mount + Tripod - £125 *** SOLD ***
      This is in generally very good condition.  There are a few marks, and scuffs consistent with normal use.  There are also a couple of minor (small) patches of surface rust on a few of the bolts and steel legs.  It has seen very litle use, and has been in storage for the past few years so it is time to find it a good home.  The small rubber tips that go on the very end of the feet have perished, so these won't be included.
      It includes tubular steel tripod, 2 counterweights, built in polar scope, built in bubble level and slow motion controls.
      Due to size and weight, collection would be preferred from the RG27 area.  If you are reasonably local, I would also consider delivering.
      Price: £125, but I am open to offers.  Payment can be made via Bank Transfer (preferred), Paypal or cash on collection
      2) ***SOLD*** Celestron Omni XLT 127mm Telescope ***SOLD ***
      Again this is in very good condition, and has been in storage for the past few years and has had very little overall use.  A few marks on the dovetail as is to be expected.
      It includes a small finderscope, diagonal and a 25mm eyepiece
      Can be collected from the RG27 area, I could deliver if you are reasonably local, or can be posted for an additional £8.
      Price: £110, but am open to offers.  Payment can be made via Bank Transfer (preferred), Paypal or cash on collection *** NOW SOLD ***
      Any questions please do let me know.

• By Gregely
      Hi SGL
      I popped this topic on CN too but noone seems to know anything.

I came by an old Celestron Ultima 8 pre-PEC. I really like the scope and the mount it may be that I have read too much of Uncle Rod's and other's praise that I feel this scope has some intangible personality and charm.
      Anyway...
      Circuitry in the base seems to work fine even though the batteries don't hold charge but drive the Ra axis . I have 2 replacement on its way to me.
      Now my issue: It didn't come with a hand controller. I know it is not needed for tracking, and I don't have a Dec motor but I find it would be useful for centering in RA and D.A.R.V. method drift alignment.
      I was on the verge of making a crude controller out of veroboard and 4 momentary switches that I thought to be correct from the info on various sites, but then I came across an Ultima 8 project that clearly showed the hand controller for my scope.
      The pic attached is the one.

I am looking for help on how the dial and buttons are wired in and/or photos of the innards of the hand controller or if anyone knows what else is inside the handbox.
      The sources I was going on so far is a combination of the following 3 links:
      https://www.cloudyni...ding/?p=8015749
      https://onstep.group...in/message/6300
      https://github.com/garlick/ultima8/blob/master/base/README.md

These of course don't include drive rate rotary switch in the middle and if I could I would really like to to restore the full ability of this mount without spending too much  on electronics. Plus I don't want to spend time and effort on wiring something that doesn't work.

Oh and lastly I have no background  or experience in electronics just own a soldering station and a whole lot of determination.

Thanks in advance
      Greg

• By astronomer2002
      I am selling a JMI focus motor for Meade SCT's.
      It has a replacement controller as the original was lost many years ago. Works fine on a LX200.
      Asking £40 for complete unit and controller plus £5 if you need it posted.

*****************   SOLD   ******************

• By Fraunhoffer
      lets imagine I wasn't to see a nice DSO about 15' size and I think it should look good nicely framed with a 1 deg field of view in the EP..
      Which would give the better (or higher probability of seeing anything at all ) view from a semi urban light polluted home site (e.g Bortle 6)?
      a) an 100mm f/6 refractor (fl 600mm) and a 10mm EP (60 deg afov, gain 60x = fov pf 1 deg)
      (and exit pupil of 100mm / 60 = 1.6mm)
      or
      b) a  200mm SCT with focal reducer to give f/6 (fl 1200mm) and a 20mm EP (60 deg afov, gain 60x = fov of 1 deg)
      (and exit pupil of 200 / 60 = 3.3mm)
      My gut feeling is that the SCT should give a better view just based upon its 2xaperture - but Im not sure I understand fully the maths why.
      Is the larger exit pupil going to result in a better / brighter / more successful view?
      Or will the view be 'roughly' the same ?
      Or have I got it all wrong.....

Thanks.
    • By jawja boy
      Wife says to get rid of something before I can buy a new toy!   C6 is in perfect condition.  I am located in North Georgia and would rather not ship.  Scope sells for $800 but will let her go for $500 !

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.