Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help which lens for 600D ? no idea :-(

SAW

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm new to lenses too and last night I thought of giving the kit lens that came with the camera a go. The lens is the EF-S 18-55mm and I cut the bottom of it to be able to use it with a clip in filter. I was very surprised by the photo. So in my opinion the 18-55mm lens is a good starter lens.LRM_EXPORT_20170920_010231.thumb.jpg.0ef97c55012e8bf405790d23e67251b2.jpg

20x20sec with 10 darks

6 hours ago, geordie85 said:

Did you but it 2nd hand? You may want to research how to set the focus to infinity. When I bought mine new it wouldn't reach focus so had to do a bit of tinkering. 

Yes bought it used.

Have I got this right regarding exposure time using my 600D and the Samyang 14 lens.

600 divided by (14x1.61) = 26.61 seconds ? 

I've read some use the 500 rule other the 600, guess it's just trial and error to see how long you can get with out star trails.

And then factor in where in the sky you are pointing east and west up to 60 degrees will be more forgiving (north and south will be less forgiving and could give less than the equation suggests in practice).

I find in practice with a smaller sensor the 400 rule more realistic (though I see you added x1.6 to your equation). 400/focal length.

9 hours ago, SAW said:

Have I got this right regarding exposure time using my 600D and the Samyang 14 lens.

600 divided by (14x1.61) = 26.61 seconds ? 

I've read some use the 500 rule other the 600, guess it's just trial and error to see how long you can get with out star trails.

15- 20 secs with a crop lense

And use the 500 rule..

I've been reading as much as I can regarding AP using just a dslr, lens and tripod. A lot of places recommend iso of 3200 even 6400 ! also white balance set to tungsten, do these correct ?

I know exposure is a case of dying to get as long as I can with out any star trails.

6 hours ago, SAW said:

iso of 3200 even 6400 ! also white balance set to tungsten

Hi. I find Canon has the lowest noise level at ISO 800. I think it's probably better to shoot raw frames rather than fight against colour balance; the fewer variables you have the better. HTH and clear skies.

Yes as happy kat said, RAW (and there are a few flavors) can be considered what the sensor recorded, camera would normally save this as jpeg and apply all sorts of adjustments, compression/balance.   You will get to do this bit yourself in post processing - fun fun fun.  You will find RAW's take up lots of storage, memory card etc.

Do check 'long exposure noise reduction' you want this off, make your own darks if you need them. Mirror lock up, screen off etc.

Nice lens, photoshop has 'lens correction' whatsits for straightening the distortion you will see in daytime use, not sure what software you will be using.

We have found 800 or 1600 iso worked well on our crop Canons.  Must be close to your holiday - enjoy.

Archived