Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep8_banner.thumb.jpg.7fc4114c7705b14c0786cf342cea1f9c.jpg

Evening all , 

Just a short report from tonight's observation ... Had the Dob downstairs and ready to go last night but clouds rolled in just as I opened the back door ☁️

I've used a frac the last couple of times so wanted to get the 200P out to blow the metaphorical cobwebs off it and also use the 2 inch lenses again .

The highlight of tonight's observation was finding Caroline's Rose NGC 7789 just beside Cassiopeia - Cassiopeia has become the centre of attention of late because of the amount of clusters in the region and I haven't even started on the double stars in Cassiopeia of which there are many . 

Other favorites were visited tonight as well : M57 , M11 , M13 , M45 and Perseus double among them . 

Clear skies . 

iPhone pic of tonight's set-up ?

IMG_3424.JPG

Edited by Red Dwarfer
  • Like 12

Nice report, you caught some lovely sights and your right to concentrate on Cas there are some lovely objects, could spend all night trawling through here.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ImmortalBee said:

Glad to see I'm not the only one who observes with a 4 legged friend

Yes , but they always seem to find some noisy distraction , squeaky toy or scent of a cat in an adjacent garden every time you find something interesting :icon_albino:

Nice report! As you say, Cassiopeia is a beautiful constellation and rich in open clusters! 

• Like 1

Nice observing report.

I'll be hunting down OC's this week from the ESP at KH with my OMC 140.

• Like 1

Don't forget NGC 147, the "owl cluster" , easy to find and a delight for all ages. There's enough in Cassiopeia to keep you very busy ,

Nick.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, cotterless45 said:

Don't forget NGC 147, the "owl cluster" , easy to find and a delight for all ages. There's enough in Cassiopeia to keep you very busy ,

Nick.

Don't you mean NGC 457 - I think 147 is a galaxy?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, harrym said:

Don't you mean NGC 457 - I think 147 is a galaxy?

Not to worry - I know the one he means , the third of a trio of clusters in an arc :icon_biggrin:

Edited by Red Dwarfer

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• Guest maryh96
      By Guest maryh96
      Hi, I am doing an end of degree project on variable stars due next thursday and London's weather does not allow finish it. I was wondering if someone would do me the favour of observing the pulsating variable star V0460 Andromeda http://variablestars.net/stars/460/ in the Johnson R filter, for a period of 1 hour and 50 minutes? please?
      Thanks so much!
    • Guest maryh96
      By Guest maryh96
      Hi, I am doing an end of degree project on variable stars due next thursday and London's weather does not allow finish it. I was wondering if someone would do me the favour of observing the pulsating variable star V0460 Andromeda http://variablestars.net/stars/460/ in the Johnson R filter, for a period of 1 hour and 50 minutes? please?
      Thanks so much!
    • By Red Dwarfer
      Afternoon all , 
      Equipment used last night was ED80 5,12,25mm BSTs and 10x50 binoculars .
      There was a lot of new stuff seen for the first time last night and the most memorable was the Trapezium and Orion's Mini-Belt in M42 ... I'd heard people mention the Trapezium on SGL before and had no idea what they were on about so it was good to find out . 
      Several new clusters were the Hyades in Taurus , NGC 752 near Triangulum , M34 in Perseus and the Alpha Persei cluster . 
      There was a certain amount of hit and miss last night , for example , some targets were found in 10x50 binoculars but not visible in the scope : the Eskimo nebula , the Crab nebula , the Rosette nebula and that Diffuse nebula near Omicron Persei - If you can clearly see the inner stars in a nebula but not the actual nebula itself in a scope does that count as a catch - or is a faint fuzzy in binoculars enough ? OIII filter ordered from FLO . 
      Some old favourites were also visited last night , M33 and the Double cluster among them ?

• By Red Dwarfer
      Hi all , 
      It started to clear very late last night and below the "arrowhead" of central Taurus I could just make out the shield of Orion , so I tried another window , this time a skylight at the front of the house , and most of Orion was rising behind the tree beside the house . Great to see him again for the first time since last winter ! 
      It was 4.45am at this stage and far too late to start setting up equipment in the back garden , so I just grabbed the little 400/70 Celestron Travelscope and put the Seben 8-24mm zoom on it to have a go at M42 .
      At low magnification , 24mm is around X 16 and the view of M42 was excellent . With averted vision the nebulosity was very bright and pronounced ... and this was standing on a chair , leaning out the skylight and holding the scope by hand with arms and elbows acting as a tripod . It was definitely worth the effort .
      The second and last big target last night was M37 . Auriga was high in the sky at this stage and I thought I would have another try at M37 - I've tried this target many times over several weeks with different scopes and binoculars but to no avail ... nearby M36 and M38 were no problem before but this cluster was always annoyingly too low in the N/E sky to find but I was finally able to find it with 10x50 binoculars . 
      Great to track down 2 targets in such a narrow window , literally and metaphorically in the case of M42 . 

• By Rhushikesh-Canisminor
      H-alpha solar sketch! Also put up my 90mm refractor beside my LS50.
      Date : 3/4/17. 
      Time: 3:45 p.m. IST.
      Nothing much happening about prominances and filaments.

AR 12644 still putting up a nice show. AR12645 is comparatively quiet, but spotted micro flare coming out of it during session. 
      Looks like AR12647 and 12648 are developing!
      Clear skies!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.