Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M82 Ha

Freddie

M82Ha.thumb.png.6f436fa189d5e9691e875328d581bf69.png

The subs for this (21 x 20mins) were captured over the last year. M82 was my "I'll just add a couple of extras" target whenever I was imaging with my Ha filter hence the subs being spread over a year. I think I've got to the point of diminishing returns though so it's time to stop. I do have a tendency to have lots of projects on the go but never decide to stop and produce a final image. 

I also have a reasonable number of L subs but have made the mistake of not getting any RGB and it's now getting quite close to the top of the tall hedge at the north end of the garden so I hope the weather is kind over the next week or so.

20 minutes ago, adamphillips said:

are you sure youre focused?

I'd have thought so? I don't think Freddie has given this the gung ho sharpening treatment but the stars look tight.

Great stuff, I'd say. The jets reach right out but with a soft touch.

Olly

33 minutes ago, adamphillips said:

are you sure youre focused?

I too think he's focused (:wink:)

The scope (MN190) has a 1 m focal length, and the camera(Atik 460) 4.54 um pixels, giving a slight oversampling (0.9"/pixel). At this scale stars can look bloated in a processed image, even if they are well focused. Gentle star reduction in the final image will take care of this.

Personally, I think that with RGB this is going to be a winner. As Olly remarked, the jets are soft but distinct. 

Thanks for your comments guys. Much appreciated.

Yes, definately in focus, I don't think the detail in the jets would show up if not!!  The processing has concentrated on the galaxy and the jets in particular to try and get them to be as clear as poss without over sharpening. The stars have therefore ended up a bit bigger than I probably could have made them but in the final image they will play no part as they will be replaced with RGB, assuming I ever capture any!!

Obviously when I blend this into the R, I may end up processing it slightly differently.

Thanks "Tomato". I've started to work through my L subs now.

Captured over 12 months but I just added a few subs here and there if I was imaging with my Ha filter so not as bad as it sounds. Conditions haven't been great though over the last year.

On 9/18/2017 at 18:32, tomato said:

A wonderful image, you can really see the structure in the jets.

12 months to capture 7 hrs of Ha data, that must be a UK location.

Indeed.  All of my data sets so far are a work in progress.  I am going to change my strategy a little.

Great Ha Freddie.

Archived