SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Altair Hypercam 103C

Dave S

Hi all.

Finally I have some cash owing to me (thanks Mr tax man) so I'm going to be able to spend it on a dedicated imaging camera to take my currently DSLR based imaging to the next level.

After lots of deliberation and researching (and bearing in mind I can't really go above £600 I have plumped for the Altair Hypercam 183C at £550

So before I splash out on this I would greatly appreciate any comments or insights from anyone who owns or has used this little gem.

Many Thanks

Dave...

Since we are talking here about colour cameras, not monochrome ones, I would suggest that the over-riding benefit of a dedicated astronomical camera is that it cools the sensor. This makes a huge difference to the amount of image noise that the sensor adds to each subframe.

Secondary, but still worth having is as astro-modded DSLR. This has an extended red sensitivity, to record all the Hα light that has a high significance in astronomical imaging. One of these has pretty much the same sensitivity and colour capture of an uncooled, colour, astronomy camera.

5 minutes ago, pete_l said:

Since we are talking here about colour cameras, not monochrome ones, I would suggest that the over-riding benefit of a dedicated astronomical camera is that it cools the sensor. This makes a huge difference to the amount of image noise that the sensor adds to each subframe.

Secondary, but still worth having is as astro-modded DSLR. This has an extended red sensitivity, to record all the Hα light that has a high significance in astronomical imaging. One of these has pretty much the same sensitivity and colour capture of an uncooled, colour, astronomy camera.

Cheers Pete.

I had considered having my 550D modded but I need it for so much other stuff.  My reasoning for going for the 183C is that getting another canon body + the cost of having it modded brings the cost close to the price of a dedicated camera like the 183C.  Mono will be an option in the future for all the benefits it brings, but until funds allow (hopefully in just under 3years) the cost of the camera, filter wheel etc.. is beyond my means.  I also need to save for a quality mount too!

Who said this lark was cheap!!  Actually no-one. :laugh2:

Dave...

Many thanks for that Michael.  I thought it would be cheaper to buy a premodded DSLR but they're not always easy to track down.  I really love my canon/backyardEOS combo as I love the power of the software. I like the idea of a camera like the hypercam but I'm going to spend a bit more time considering the DSLR route as I can obtain the results I want with less of a learning curve. 

Cheers

Dave...

Archived