Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Where would you live?

spaceboy

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, laser_jock99 said:

Some good posts. I'm quite liking Mid Wales. Close enough to work, yet far enough from civilization to be relatively light pollution free.

View from front garden.

36669822913_c15c04cde4_b.jpg

Would it be fair to assume,

naked eye?

On 16/09/2017 at 13:26, DAVE AMENDALL said:

Spanish skies are the best in Europe. Canary Islands even better....Dave

Possibly but not certainly, regarding mainland Spain. A case can be made for SE France. That's what I went for in the end, though I began my search in Spain. Wind and Sahara sand are issues in southern Spain, as are wildcat planning 'laws' which put you at risk from new sources of light pollution. It can also be too darned hot.

The work caveat is an interesting one because economic development = job availability = light pollution. My part of SE France is, in large part, dark because there is no industry and so few normal jobs. I managed to find an astro-related job so I'm OK. :icon_mrgreen: 

Like anyone else I have regrets in life but moving to my present home isn't one of them and never will be. I have SQM 21.3 to 22.05 skies and yet four nice seasons, friends nearby and plenty of things to do during the moonlight. If I wanted better astronomy it would have to be significantly better, meaning the Atacama - and much as I like deserts I think it might be a step too far!!!!

Olly

Well, the OP. did say If money was no object. The Far Side of the Moon for me.
With the safe Habitat, and the supplies and support system to last at least 6 months.
I'd be content with a  36" f4.  Shouldn't be any problem moving it around.
The Moon's orbital speed is over twice the rate of Earths rotational speed,
so guiding may prove a bit difficult, although not sure about polar alignment up there I don't think that would work anyway. :icon_biggrin:
Might need the electronics modified before leaving. 

Many many many years ago I happened to spend a night on the ground with a few tinnies on the border of Victoria and New South Wales the views were stunning, I will never forget that night "astronomically" ha ha ha. Would I live there, no not really to many flies. 

Archived