Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_celestial_motion.thumb.jpg.a9e9349c45f96ed7928eb32f1baf76ed.jpg

Skywatcher some, have it. It means can use fully goto, tracking or fully manual with or without power. Stardiscovery, Virtuoso ( small table mount goto is extra) and the new azgti models have it. Just means you don't need power for viewing which might be handy for terrestrial use. Many goto mounts only work with power and the handset.

Those are all altaz mounts.

Edit: I see that you have now chosen whilst I had this window open :-)

Edited by happy-kat

7 hours ago, AstronomicalCheeki said:

I made my decision.I will pick the skywatcher mak 127 and az3 

The AZ3 will serve as a first start for a 127mm Maksutov, but an AZ4, or dare I say an AZ5, would be ideal in the long run...

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/alt-azimuth/skywatcher-az4-alt-az-mount.html

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/alt-azimuth/sky-watcher-az5-deluxe-alt-azimuth-mount.html

The mount becomes very wobbly. And worst case (if you go too far over the recommended payload) then you risk the mount bot being able to hold the scope and something breaking - either mount or telescope falling. 

7 minutes ago, AstronomicalCheeki said:

...A.What happens when for example you put a 8kg telescope on a 5kg payload mount.

The mount and scope are unstable so it becomes impossible to view through the scope at anything other than low magnifications.

An undermounted scope is a miserable device and the source of nothing but frustration.

Edited by John

An AZ-4 (In the USA these are available from Orion (USA) under the name VersaGo II) would work with a 127mm Maksutov-Cassegrain - fit these like the proverbial glove. The 127mm is the most popular Maksutov out there. All of these Maks are made by Synta in the P.R. China. My personal favorite are the Skywatcher-branded one's. I have a 150mm myself. And the AZ3, as previously stated, would be at it's limit with the venerable 127mm. I wouldn't recommend this mount.

The AZ-4 is at it's limit with my 150mm, so I use a Vixen Porta II at present, but this needs a better tripod. It would likely be better if the tubular-steel one's were available in the US, as they are across-the-pond in your nation. I have solved this, but I shouldn't have had to IMHO.

The 127mm Mak's are wonderful little telescopes. Their being the best-sellers is no accident - word travels well in the Astro-Communites we inhabit! Don't let their diminutive size fool you, Dear Readers. They pack a powerful optical package in them.

Enjoy!

Dave

13 minutes ago, Dave In Vermont said:

An AZ-4 (In the USA these are available from Orion (USA) under the name VersaGo II) would work with a 127mm Maksutov-Cassegrain - fit these like the proverbial glove. 

Had a look at ABS and there's AZ4 minus tripod available for £50. As OP is on a budget, I would suggest considering second hand options, at least for some parts of the rig. 

There is also Vixen Porta II for £145, minus tripod again, which I think is reasonable. Add to that Skywatcher Mak150, found £200 used, and you have a little performer. £345 total. Ok tripod is needed but these can be sourced for cheap. 

• Thanks 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Asghar
      Hi all,

I'm pretty new to astronomy and need help deciding if I should buy the following telescope or not, mainly if there is anything visibly missing by looking at the photos?

Thanks in advance!

• By dragorom7
      Hello, i am new to this forum, i made my account here because i need help.
      So few weeks ago i ordered a USB to Serial cable to be able to Control my Telescope with my computer using stellarium.
      It arrived today.
      So i made my Star Alignment, then i plugged the cable to my Telescope and Computer, i installed the Cable driver and ASCOM Platform + ASCOM Celestron Driver.
      I started DriverConnect.exe and put the Celestron Driver i downloaded, and did the properties informations ( had to tick on "Advanced Setup" and "Show All COM Ports" ) and i put "COM8" on "COM Port", then i pressed "OK" and then "Connect"
      Result:
      Create              Creating device
      Connected           Connecting to device
      Error               System.Exception: Connect to COM1 failed, no Celestron scope detected
         to System.Dynamic.ComRuntimeHelpers.CheckThrowException(Int32 hresult, ExcepInfo& excepInfo, UInt32 argErr, String message)
         to CallSite.Target(Closure , CallSite , ComObject , Boolean )
         to ASCOM.DriverConnect.ConnectForm.btnConnect_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:\ASCOM Build\Export\ASCOM.DriverConnect\ConnectForm.cs:line 268
      Dispose             Disposing of device
      ReleaseComObject    Releasing COM instance
      ReleaseComObject    Completed release. Count: 0
      GC Collect          Starting garbage collection
      GC Collect          Completed garbage collection

"Connect to COM1 failed, no Celestron scope detected"

In Stellarium i set-up everything, the plug-in and restarted the app, then added my telescope  and i says it's "connected" but i can't find my telescope.

Telescope:
      Celestron NexStar 127SLT
      The Cable i bought:
      https://www.amazon.com/Telescope-CP2102-Adapter-Control-Console/dp/B077G37VL1/
      PC Specs:
      Windows 10 Pro, GTX 970, 8GB Ram(DDR4), i7 6700 3.4Ghz

Looking forward for your help, thanks in advance,
      dragorom7.
    • By LILYDENISE
      Hello everyone, happy Tuesday.
      First time stargazer here, I'm hoping I can get some awesome feedback from you guys. 
      my fiancé and I are planning on taking a trip to Great Basin National Park from October 25th-30th, we're trying to catch the new moon, we want to do some deep sky viewing but we're having such a hard time on knowing which kind of telescope to purchase. we do have a few must- haves on our purchase, but I wanted to see what you guys recommend and what your experiences have been.
      we need a telescope that is portable
      good for deep sky viewing
      reflector vs. refractor
      and almost, but not necessarily, easy to use (we have time to learn the ins and outs of it)
      I apologize if its a lot, but trying to understand the jargon, as of now, is giving me a hard time
      Cant wait for any responses!!
      p.s. anyone ever been to Great Basin? what should we expect on our trip? its our first time going and first time doing any serious camping!!!
      THANKS A BUNCH!!!
      -LILY 
    • By tomcamish
      Hi All, 
      I've had a reflector telescope for years but never really used it (this one) . I've recently dusted it off and decided to try my hand at astrophotography. 
      I was really pleased with myself when I successfully pointed the telescope at Saturn and could make out the planet and rings (it looked like one big white ring but a good start). Once I'd nailed getting the planet in view I decided to hook up my Canon EOS 600D.
      Initially I connected it using THIS and was able to get a picture of a Saturn and ring shaped slightly blurry blob, which I have to zoom in on the image to see, thus blurring it further. For my first attempt I was pretty pleased. I then watched some YouTube videos of people showing how it's done and upgraded the Canon T-ring to THIS so I could drop a lens into it for more zoom. 
      However, when I try the new adapter with a lens the camera picks nothing up - any picture I take regardless of how long exposure I use just comes out as a black screen - not even any stars.
      If I take then lens out of the adapter I get the same. I only get a picture if I use the original T-ring, back to the blurry really small blob. 
      Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? I'd really like to get into astrophotography but not getting anywhere yet. 
      Many thanks in advance. 
    • By Wavseeker
      Ladies and gentleman, 
      Thank you for helping me in advance. 
      As a kid I've always been fascinated with the sky and what was in it. The nights sky is filled with beautiful stars and nebulae and I want to see them for myself and be amazed how insignificant we really are compared to this vast open space. So let me adress some of the key points that I want for a first scope.
      1. Around €1000
      2. Big aperture, I want to see as much as possible and as far as possible while not losing a clear image
      3. I would like to have a push to or go to system
      4. Beginner friendly
      5. Size is not a problem 
      8. I prefer reflectors since it seems they give more aperture for the money but if you know a better scope that sees more with less aperture let me know
      9. I have a Canon 550D and maybe I could use this for a bit of astrophotography. This is last on the list tho and can be scrapped if the first 3 points aren't met
      Of course build quality is very important when making my choice so keep that in mind as well.
      I'm looking forward to you guys advice. 
       Happy stargazing and clear skies! 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.