sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_2.thumb.jpg.72789c04780d7659f5b63ea05534a956.jpg

Haw Wood Farm (East Suffolk) Star Party Oct 17

If any of you are interested in a star party in East Suffolk, we have been hosting a Star Party every March and October at Hinton, near Saxmundham, Suffolk at a newly developed Caravan and campsite, Haw Wood Farm, for the last 5 years. It is £12 per pitch per night with electricity hook up (adapter needed) call Dan or Georgina (see link below). Some of you here may know about it; on good nights we have had a SQM reading of 21.75 - it can get dark enough to see the Zodiacal Light! Many local society members meet up: Norwich, Castle Point, North Essex, OASI (Orwell), DASH (local) and Breckland among others and it is generally friendly and welcoming (if we can see you in the dark!). Saturday 14th we run an event: a skytour or talks in the cafe, dependent on weather. Unfortunately, timing clashes with the SGL star party but we're a long way from it.

See link for details: http://www.hawwoodfarm.co.uk/things-to-do/events-hawwood/

Edited by breckland_astro
adding details.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Quetzalcoatl72
      After a very sturdy tripod and 'head/mount?' for general photography at the current moment but to also use for a Sky guider when I get one in the future
      My questions are;
      Which tripod do I need to handle a small scope and or camera with a big lens attached to sky guider, Tripod budget less than £100 Which sky guider should I go for to image the milkyway and nebula? probably 6-8 lbs payload? Budget less than, £400 Do sky guiders come with their own mount? I heard something about a ball head, mount budget less than £50 Is there anything else I may need with what I have mentioned, power, adaptors, filters etc. Much appreciated, I am new here so I hope this is ok to ask. I currently own a NEQ6 with two small telescopes which I have problems with that I will discus in another topic, so I know how to image that way, but I fancy something small and less stressful in the meantime.
    • By SuburbanMak
      Chatting on here about possible darker sites near me and came across the CPRE light pollution survey which you can contribute to this week.

I’m going to rope the kids in & thought I’d share the link: 

https://www.cpre.org.uk/what-we-care-about/nature-and-landscapes/dark-skies/star-count-2021/
    • By stepping beyond
      This is the camera that I've wanted and now , it's part of my kit . Instead of getting a partial with the 174mm cool , I can now handle the outer regions also . Thanks for the advice Matt Jenko. Orion has some funky color and stretching it a bit too much but, it turned out better than I was hoping for. Awesome Camera , now to get it framed correctly before I make my run weather permitting.

• By dcobb
      Hello everyone,
      After impulse buying this 80mm refractor a year ago, being very underwhelmed and returning it, I've stepped back and done a lot of researching of scopes & astronomy (mainly online due to Covid19).  Now that I have a little better perspective on things I'm looking to get my first "real" scope and would welcome some advice.  A lot of things I read and seen seem to suggest an 8" DOB being a good beginner scope one can grow into, without breaking the bank.  Thus I'm leaning towards the Apertura AD8 with a Barlow & maybe additional lenses down the road, but again I welcome any advice or confirmation that this is a good first scope for me and my family? 
      Other details worth mentioning:
      Price - A definite factor as I have no idea how hooked I or my family will become with the hobby.  Last thing I want is an expensive dust collector sitting in the corner of the room.  Definitely under $1k, preferably closer to half.  If we end up loving it and I trade up, so be it... Interests - Planets and definitely faint & DSO's for sure (so I think that rules out low cost refactors?) Aperture - I know this is the most important aspect and people tend to suggest "Go bigger", 10", 12"+, and I understand the trade offs, but have no practical experience yet, so this is a difficult decision.  Price, portability & light gathering are all considered here and why I feel the 8" is probably a good first scope size?  (feel free to weigh in here) Location - I mainly see this being used in our backyard, which thankfully is pretty private & dark but we do live in the suburbs and there are stairs to consider.  Maybe we'll take it camping or drive to a secluded rural spot once in a while, who knows... Size - Similar to aperture giving more light, I read that 10"and above start to become heavy & unwieldy.  I'm no weakling but my wife and kids may want to use this too and the backyard is down stairs off our deck, so factoring this in.... Astrophotography - Probably not yet...  My wife's a photo nut and has a couple nice DSLR's already.  However, this seems like an expensive & time consuming rabbit hole, plus I would think you'd need auto-tracking mounts.  Things could change down the road but for now it's not something I'm really factoring in.  One can always google celestial pics right? Manual vs. motorized - I really don't know.  I've read the pros & cons, people seem to be on one side or the other, and again astrophotography isn't a big factor at this time, so probably manual.... I was somewhat considering NexStar 6SE as it's barely under $1k, but thinking a 6" will limit DSO capabilities?  The 8SE seems nice but we're talking $1200+ for bare bones.  Also an interesting conversation I had with a rep from highpointscientific mentioned an 8" DOB would be more blurry and have less color than an equivalent 8" SCT, which got me worried about a DOB and seemed to contradicted things I've read, but again I have no practical experience here.  All I know is I bought a $200 scope off Amazon a year ago that could view the moon and bird watch.  Saturn and Jupiter were blurry, shaky, white dots, forget about DSO's.  I returned that 4.5 star hunk of junk and wanted something more.  I hear great things about DOB's far as viewing, but I'm not going to find an accurate video online of what one would really see through it for obvious reasons.  So here I am looking for advice.  Would an 8" DOB be a good first buy?  Would it genuinely be able to see the planets well along with many faint and DSO's?  I know a 10" or 12"+ would gather more light while sacrificing cost and bulk, but are they that big of difference between being able to see DSO's and not vs. an 8"?  What I would hate is to buy an 8" DOB and immediately think "I should have bought a 10" or bought a 10" and never use it as it's too much of a hassle to lug down the stairs & setup?  So C'mon experts, please bring it!  If you made it this far, thank you very much & you'll have good karma for many moons to come!!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.