Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Keep it simple

Littleguy80

Walking out into the garden tonight I wasn't expecting to see anything but cloud. However, I was happy to see some big open clear patches amongst the cloud. I learnt tonight that the Double Cluster is also known as Caldwell 14. This inspired me to make that my first target of the evening. Having had a couple of sessions already this week, I decided to keep things relaxed and just use two eyepieces. My ES68 24mm and BST Starguider 12mm. Both gave great views of C14. I enjoy that each cluster has it's own personality which is highlighted by being next to the other. Bright young stars in one cluster next to red giants in the other.

Moving up to Cassiopeia, I stopped at NGC 457, the Owl Cluster. In my reflector, the inverted image puts the two stars or eyes at the top making it easy to see where this cluster got it's name came from. I traced the stars that made up the rest of the Owl's body. Cloud was persistently a problem but another break allowed me some time with Caroline's Rose. The dimmer stars that make up the petals really add to the delicate feel of this cluster. The subtle nature of it making it feel even more Rose like. As the Rose disappeared into the cloud, I looked around the sky and spotted the Pleiades still shining bright. I moved quickly as the cloud would soon swallow them too. For a short while, I enjoyed the collection of very bright stars. There's a group of 3 smaller stars in a triangle that always catches my eye. The seven sisters gently faded away and with that the night was done. A really nice little night under the stars

Good report . I know what you mean about keeping it simple with a couple of lenses - also hunting for DSOs can be a very hit and miss affair as well and it`s far more enjoyable to just stick to well known targets .

I didn`t know that NGC 457 was also called the Owl Cluster , so thanks for the heads up ! 

That Double Cluster is also a favourite , but I`ve still to track down Caroline`s Rose . 

For me, my  location keeps it fairly simple when observing, anything between Ursa Major and Cassiopeia from my limited view of the sky, plus having the Skyliner.
I'll still go through several eyepieces, trying to eek out the best, due to the street and local  lighting, but a short drive away, its truly stunning with no street/dwelling/city lights and so many extra stars?  I keep saying this, but there's so many stars, you have to look hard to find Ursa Major, such is the difference!!!

Right scope wrong location :happy9:

This ended up being a good test run for tonight's session. About 8:15 it was looking clear so I quickly settled my younger two children down to bed and took my eldest two out for their first proper session. My eldest daughter is 10 and eldest son is 8. A quick look at Saturn and Titan for an easy start. This was followed by M11, M31 (I was able to guide them both seeing M32), NGC 457 (Owl cluster) and the Double Cluster. They both really enjoyed themselves. They recognised the Big Dipper and I pointed out the stars in the Little Dipper which caused great excitement. I was even able to point out a very faint Milky Way overhead. My son said the Owl Cluster was his favourite which my daughter agreed with adding the Double Cluster as her joint favourite. A fun night for all of us :) 

3 minutes ago, Charic said:

...well I know someone who has an Explorer 130 on an EQ2 with Telrad, no less!

Its great when you have company at the scope and their interest is on a high.

I guess I'd HAVE to upgrade then :D 

It was really nice to share my hobby with them. I'll get them looking through my Astronomy books tomorrow to see what they'd like to see next!

I did exactly the same tonight. Hadn't planned a viewing session so just looked at some old faves. Saturn dipping to the horizon and later Andromeda. No fussing, just an 8mm and 25mm in my pocket and a glass of wine. This was the first time I'd looked M31 with the new 10" dob, and was delighted to see how much more of the galaxy disk I could see, and to be able to see M110 and M32 in the same view.  All from a night where I hadn't planned to go out. Super relaxed. Bit of fun with the scope in the garden.

7 hours ago, Charic said:

What about some binoculars? Don't see any in your signature. Low powered are easy to hand hold, great  for sweeping the skies, and when its not 'your' turn at the scope!
I favour my 8x40s. but 7x50 maybe 10x50 for the younger eyes?

I've actually got some 10x50s on my Christmas wish list. I just need to keep myself on the nice list :angel4:

7 hours ago, elliot said:

I did exactly the same tonight. Hadn't planned a viewing session so just looked at some old faves. Saturn dipping to the horizon and later Andromeda. No fussing, just an 8mm and 25mm in my pocket and a glass of wine. This was the first time I'd looked M31 with the new 10" dob, and was delighted to see how much more of the galaxy disk I could see, and to be able to see M110 and M32 in the same view.  All from a night where I hadn't planned to go out. Super relaxed. Bit of fun with the scope in the garden.

Sounds great, Elliott. Sometimes the impromptu sessions can be the best. Not working to a plan just looking at whatever catches your fancy on the night :) 

Archived