Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Messier 7

John

I've just returned from a wonderful trip to Costa Rica :smiley:

Very little astronomy done on the trip as is common on my holidays (as agreed with my other half plus it's the rainy season there ) but I did get 30 mins or so under a clearish sky with an 80% moon and 8x30 binoculars plus my eyes. At latitude of 10 degrees it was great to see the "teapot" of Sagittarius so high in the sky with the unfamilliar (to me) stars of Scorpio below it. 

Despite the moonlight, the rich and bright open cluster Messier 7, AKA Ptolemy's Cluster, jumped into view with the binoculars as a splendid jeweled mass of glittering stars much larger than the full moon in diameter. Clearly visible to the naked eye in the moonlight as well.

A first for me (too low at home) and it was nice to have a little astro fix during what was primarily a wildlife holiday :icon_biggrin:

I don't image so I'll have to post the daytime view of the same general direction from our hotel room patio. The "teapot" with M7 below it's "spout" was hanging over the volcano's right shoulder. Nice view by night or day !

P1060157.JPG

Archived