Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron Avx

newbie alert

3 hours ago, newbie alert said:

Sorry Peter,I missed this..

I haven't got a mains adapter no

I power it with  12v ,and the issue isn't there all the time..its a bit erratic.. 

Would definitely recommend testing with mains power. Mains power is the recommend method of using the mount but understandably this is not always possible.

I have had some crazy slews with my AVX when running on a powertank, 9 out of 10 times it is power.
Maybe worth checking this before spending on new parts. Also reset Firmware back to factory defaults. I have had to do this numerous times on my AVX mount.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 19/09/2017 at 07:52, newbie alert said:

Sorry Peter,I missed this..

I haven't got a mains adapter no

I power it with  12v ,and the issue isn't there all the time..its a bit erratic.. 

I run mine from a 12v 5a mins adapter from maplin which has a “cigarette lighter” adapter

cost c£20 I ? ?

Hi, I don't have the same prob as you I think. But I have never been able to accurately align this mount. It's always a degree or so off. Whether this is due to my inability, or the mount, I don't know. Even purchased a skysync GPS, which cost a silly amount of money for what it does. Its still a degree out even after levelling, polar alignment, 2 star aligment, and adding 3 calib stars. Its a nice mount, but tempted to go for a better one, as the optics on ota (9.25sct celestron) are superb. Any ideas > fixing the goto, or a better mount (cgemii, cgx?) .

Clear skies for all:hello:

Forgot to mention, I power mine via a tracer battery. I have the 10AH one, its ran faultless so far (longest I have used it is 5hrs, running the scope and Hitec dew controller+Astrozap dew shield (if that helps)

https://www.tracerpower.com/12v-10ah-lithium-polymer-battery-pack.html

I don't use a celestron mount, but a sw azeq6. This workflow has always given me good goto accuracy:

1. Level tripod, and balance scope.

2. 2 star alignment with 25 mm eyepiece and 2x barlowed 10 mm eyepiece with homemade reticule

3. All star polar alignment.

4. Repeat step 2.

Goto accuracy is good on the same side of the meridian as where the alignment was done, but less so on the other side of the meridian.

Hope this helps

ASPA can never be more accurate than the star alignment, simply because it calculates pa error from the star offsets. For increased accuracy, you need to repeat the star alignment and pa a couple of times. But I have also used it for imaging. And you can always do drift alignment after ASPA.

After doing my PA routine now in getting far better sub length than what I was with the ASPA..

Doing something multiple times means there's errors in the setup and polar aligning is just that..you can't get good PA off a star.thats star alignment..if the handset tells you it's perfectly polar aligned don't mean it is..not to me anyway

How did it get from away from the original question..nothing about PA in the original text

Archived