Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron Avx

newbie alert

Hi all, I've had a few niggles with my avx over the last year or so..and it's always been the connection point of the mount to the power cable..its not a issue but you know how it is.you get setup,polar aligned and then it plays  up so having to drag it inside..undo the screws to the motherboard and sometimes it's just the slightest touch and it's back working again..

Well last night looked like a amazing sky,the moon wasnt going to be around for a while id hibernated the mount so a polar align,switch on and hopefully already star aligned and ready to test phd which should now work..and guess what it messes about...if I use the left and right keys it's fine,if I use the up down it kind of sticks likevim holding the key down until I press down and that does the same..so I have to switch it off...anyway just got back from father in laws so he can test for breaks in wires etc..none found all working fine..but put it all back together and it's still the same so I'm thinking it's the handset...ive just got home and set it up to do a quick video to see if anyone has any ideas and it works like it should...bet if I take it to a dark site it plays up again..anyone else had the same issue?

Sorry to ramble on..

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having just took a mount apart, HEQ5. Make sure the problem is not the mechanics, check that the Dec and RA axis would rotate smoothly with the clutches off. My RA was OK but the Dec was grabbing and so the motors were unable to turn it. Bearings and everything were OK. Problem appeared to be the way that bits were tightened up and screwed down. The Dec axis is set up by a couple of slightly odd adjustments that are/were not easy to set to the "best".

After reassembly I found that the RA would not turn. It was fine before I got at it. That was a case of the driven cog/gear was now too low down the shaft and the strangely it seemed the grease on it was now causing the gear wheel to "stick" to the housing - sorted by cleaning the "lubricant" off and having the gear wheel higher up the shaft.

Found that it was basically all OK but the previous assembly and doing up of bits was not quite right, so it did not rotate smoothly or at positions rotate at all.

In effect my Up/Down buttons moved it a bit then it froze but it was not the electronics but the assembly.

If the mount has a similar large brass drum for the Dec, then I can see would be a problem as it really needs a light grease or even just a light oil for lubrication. It has a big surface area and is a close fit. So anything in there needs to have minimal friction or stick.

I may have have spent more time tweeking the thing just to get it right then I spent taking it apart and basic reassembly.

Power is the first to check. Second option would be to eliminate the hand controller. Can you hook it up to a computer, ascom or indi? If you can and it works, it's the hc. Next thing to try then would be to update the firmware. If you have a buddy or a dealer nearby with the same mount, you can try borrowing a hand controller. Or try your hc on their mount.

It's really a matter of eliminating one possible cause at a time.

Good luck

2 hours ago, wimvb said:

Power is the first to check. Second option would be to eliminate the hand controller. Can you hook it up to a computer, ascom or indi? If you can and it works, it's the hc. Next thing to try then would be to update the firmware. If you have a buddy or a dealer nearby with the same mount, you can try borrowing a hand controller. Or try your hc on their mount.

It's really a matter of eliminating one possible cause at a time.

Good luck

I've eliminated the power issue I think..the connector inside I've had issues within the past but there's no breaks in the wires or switch..see original post

11 hours ago, des anderson said:

Have you got a good power supply?? An A.V.X needs  12 volt supply,a Tracer battery is a good choice, don`t use the AA batteries as these last for minutes. Des

I was using a  celestron power tank but found it rubbish..ok to start off with but then lost it's power really quickly even though keeping it topped up..so I got a 12v 17ah jump starter from Halfords.. had it about a year without issues..

I have had probs with the connection between the mount and lead for a while now but I've had those components tested for breaks etc..its all fine

20 hours ago, newbie alert said:

I'm looking at updating the firmware now as I dont know anyone with a handset close by..

Any idea on where to find the latest updates..is it me or do celestron intentionally make it hard to find things..needlw in a haystack spring to mind

I have an AVX with a spare lead and have the handset, so happy to help out, but away at the moment and back Saturday.

What is the power connector on an AVX like? If it's a 2.1/5.5mm round plug, I'd point the finger of blame there.  My C8 Nexstar did the taking off by itself and other power issues till I cleaned the socket up and fitted a cable anchor to one side to hold the cable in place.  My Nexstar SLT also played up occasionally with the plug working its way out, till I fitted a cable anchor on it too. 

7 hours ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

What is the power connector on an AVX like? If it's a 2.1/5.5mm round plug, I'd point the finger of blame there.  My C8 Nexstar did the taking off by itself and other power issues till I cleaned the socket up and fitted a cable anchor to one side to hold the cable in place.  My Nexstar SLT also played up occasionally with the plug working its way out, till I fitted a cable anchor on it too. 

I hold my power cable in by an elastic band which goes around the protruding part of the black housing and the plug. I am interested to know exactly what you did to anchor the cable.

Peter

1 hour ago, PeterCPC said:

I am interested to know exactly what you did to anchor the cable.

If this is an original AVX or direct replacement, then they screw in, so it shouldn't be the plug being loose as such, although I do believe the early AVX had a few issues with the socket itself.  Celestron gave me a new lead when I first got my AVX as it was intermittently failing, but not with problems like this, it would just switch off, and not go haywire, as I would expect if it was a lead.

My bet would be with firmware or even location/time settings, and mine had a wobbly once when that wasn't right.  Possibly supply dropping low as well, because as with the AZ EQ6, they do not like going under 12V at all.

I am interested to know exactly what you did to anchor the cable.

I used a stick-on cable clamp (self-adhesive pad) with aluminium lugs that bend up around the cable, stuck to the mount arm near the power socket. I tried to photograph this before, but it did not show well. In each case it was meant to be temporary but has lasted for months of use. Note that while (on the C8) the exposed metal of the socket might be thought to be part of the current path, or a connector, in fact it is not, and contact is only made internally near the tip.

Archived