Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

• Announcements

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_nb_dso.jpg.eb6cd158659331fd13e71470af6da381.jpg

michael.h.f.wilkinson

On my way to the IAPY award ceremony

Up awfully early this morning (5:15 local time). Caught the train to Schiphol Airport. All for a good cause: I am on my way to the Insight Astronomy Photographer of the Year award ceremony in Greenwich this evening. I will then finally know whether my photo "Ghostly Sun"  is a winner. 

Sun_110944_g3_ap1431LRpinvcolour.jpg.3009629712d326b8fddf5c048a75f60a.thumb.jpg.23b5baa2a07e2eb9e3821deb1a2c1df5.jpg

Getting shortlisted already feels like being a winner, of course

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

barkis    3,881

My money's on that being first past the post. It's a belter, so something really really special 
is going to be  needed to beat it. 

Enjoy the event Michael, and Rob. and the other guys who are also
going there :icon_salut:.

• Like 2

Uranium235    5,714

See you there buddy ;) I'll be setting off in about 45min. There should be another SGL'er there too  :) I've got a 3pm check in at the hotel, so I'll probably have to hang around for a bit (hopefully the rain will have knocked off by then!).

29528907563_37af79fa1f_k.jpg

• Like 6

ronl    687

Here's hoping that both of you do well, I'm sure that you will.

Fantastic images, so good luck.

• Like 2

Helen    2,155

Sending my best wishes too - cracking images! 😎Looking forward to the announcements.

Enjoy the whole experience 😀

Safe travels

Helen

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Uranium235 said:

See you there buddy ;) I'll be setting off in about 45min. There should be another SGL'er there too  :) I've got a 3pm check in at the hotel, so I'll probably have to hang around for a bit (hopefully the rain will have knocked off by then!).

29528907563_37af79fa1f_k.jpg

I have already check in to the Premier Inn, I could certainly help kill some time 

Uranium235    5,714

I'm just at cannon street waiting for the train to pull off, it's only a couple of stops, so with the walk it will be about three when I get there. 

I'll have to walk rIght past your hotel..lol, but I need something eat as soon as I'm checked in, I've had nothing since 9am and I'm starving now!

18 minutes ago, Uranium235 said:

I'm just at cannon street waiting for the train to pull off, it's only a couple of stops, so with the walk it will be about three when I get there. 

I'll have to walk rIght past your hotel..lol, but I need something eat as soon as I'm checked in, I've had nothing since 9am and I'm starving now!

Just had to get some fish & chips as well. I had been traveling since 5:15 UK time (with some sustenance on the way, but not nearly enough)

ollypenrice    16,782
1 hour ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Just had to get some fish & chips as well. I had been traveling since 5:15 UK time (with some sustenance on the way, but not nearly enough)

The fish and chips should sort that out!

Best of luck, gents.

Olly

• Like 2

Uranium235    5,714

Never have I seen a man put away a pizza so fast (and I thought I was a quick eater!). It wouldn't look out of place at an SGL hog roast :D:D 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Uranium235    5,714

Gawd.... I think I've drunk my own weight in alcohol.. hic! Time to soak it up with a big bag of chips :p 

Great night out, nice to be around like minded people  (Michael and Andre), well worth the trip down. All I need to do now is rustle up a few images for next year :) 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Uranium235 said:

Gawd.... I think I've drunk my own weight in alcohol.. hic! Time to soak it up with a big bag of chips :p 

Great night out, nice to be around like minded people  (Michael and Andre), well worth the trip down. All I need to do now is rustle up a few images for next year :) 

I was too busy talking to drink that much. Fortunately, I have a few more nights in London to make up for the shortfall 😛😉☺

Avdhoeven    976

It was nice to meet you and Rob there! We had a nice time. And although my image did not win, I was still very happy to be shortlisted also...

astrophotographer_year_2017.jpg

21764499_10155635549429720_856810002_o.jpg

• Like 3