Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

• Announcements

Red Dwarfer

ISS ( I think ) off the shoulder of Orion

Red Dwarfer    246

This is a 20 second exposure of the ISS ( I think ) just off the shoulder of Orion 

Canon 7D ISO 640 20 seconds 18mm 

ISS just off the shoulder of Orion  (1 of 1).JPG

• Like 5

Uplooker    1,409

Great capture! Have your neighbours trees finally succumb to the excavators? Unobstructed skies beckoning???

• Like 1

xtreemchaos    10,830

great shot mate, oh orion , I like seeing the old boy, brings memorys of good skys. well done. charl. 

• Like 1

Red Dwarfer    246
6 hours ago, Uplooker said:

Great capture! Have your neighbours trees finally succumb to the excavators? Unobstructed skies beckoning???

Thanks - the builders are clearing an old house to build a new development - not sure if they will fell the birch or not .

Edited by Red Dwarfer

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By MikeODay
      Eta Carina Nebula with the bright unstable star Eta Carinae in the centre of the image.     Eta Carinae Nebula ( NGC 3372 ) ( please click / tap on image to see larger and sharper )   From Wikipedia ... "Eta Carinae is a highly luminous hypergiant star. Estimates of its mass range from 100 to 150 times the mass of the Sun, and its luminosity is about four million times that of the Sun." This HDR image is constructed from 12 sets of exposures ranging from 1/8 sec ( to capture the bright centre of Eta Carinae ) through to 240 seconds.  Total exposure time around 13 hours   17-19 March 2018   Image details: Field of view ..... 59' 18.2" x 39' 56.0"
      Image centre ...... RA: 10 45 01.762  Dec: -59 40 52.87
      Orientation: North is up   Telescope: Orion Optics CT12 Newtonian ( mirror 300mm, fl 1200mm, f4 ). Corrector: ASA 2" Coma Corrector Quattro 1.175x. Effective Focal Length / Aperture : 1470mm f4.7   Mount: Skywatcher EQ8   Guiding: TSOAG9 Off-Axis-Guider, Starlight Xpress Lodestar X2, PHD2   Camera:
      Nikon D5300 (unmodified) (sensor 23.5 x 15.6mm, 6016x4016 3.9um pixels)   Location:
      Blue Mountains, Australia
      Moderate light pollution ( pale green zone on darksitefinder.com map )   Capture ( 17, 18 & 19 March 2018 ):
      12 sets of sub-images with exposure duration for each set doubling ( 1/8s to 240s ) all at ISO250.
      ( 181 x 240sec + 10 to 20 each for the other durations )   Processing:
      Calibration: master bias, master flat and master dark
      Integration in 12 sets
      HDR combination   Pixinsight March 2018
    • By -ChoJin-
      This is my first astrophotography with my own scope (and first light for this scope). I've always been fascinated with this galaxy, and it was my childhood dream to capture it. It finally happened ;-)
      You'll find all the technical details on the description on flickr.
      Overall it's the first light of my skywatcher Quattro 250mm/1000mm f4, NEQ6, with an unmodded Canon 6D.
      Integration time: 1h59
      Processed with PixInsight.
      link to flickr for the full resolution and description: 
    • By Olli
      Since getting my first scope (130p on a az pronto mount)  last Tuesday  I haven’t had much luck with clear skies as it seems to be a curse when you get new astro equipment.  I kept checking the weather forecast and today they said that it was going to be cloudy for tonight ( again ) . But when I  looked out my window at around 7pm I could see Orion in all its glory. So as quickly as I could I grabbed my scope and mount in one hand and the eyepieces in another. Wasn’t that cold out  for once so didn’t need my bobble hat or gloves! As this was an unplanned session I didn’t read up on what targets I should be looking for and also I forgot my torch which is never a good thing.
      However  as Orion was very clear and detailed tonight I thought I would look at the Orion Nebula. Managed to locate it through the red dot finder that came equipped with the scope, the finder was roughly aligned slightly out of place but good enough and then I used the slo mo controls which  are very easy to use to center it in the eyepice. I’ve never seen Nebulae through a scope before and was worried I would be disappointed after seeing all those Hubble pictures with incredible detail and  colour.However I was very wrong. I would never have thought a grey smudge  would be so amazing to look at. Through the 25mm eyepice it looked liked grey wings covering the FOV of the eyepice  with three stars in the middle of it. So after spending about 10 minutes looking through the 25mm I thought I would swap it for the supplied 10mm. Again the view was very good though not as sharp of view that i had with the 25mm and I think I may need to buy a better replacement.
      Anyway after being in awe with Orion I’d thought I would have a quick look at The seven sisters. I’ve seen m45 before with my binoculars but wanted to have a look with the scope. The view was much better in the scope I could see more starts in the cluster then I could with the binoculars after spending about 10 minutes looking at the cluster I saw a satalite quickly move across the FOV which seemed to have an orange light ( would of liked to know what it was) . So after taking my eye off the eyepice I could see that the clouds were starting to role in and was starting to rain so called it a night. I have to say Astronomy is probably one of the most relaxing and most fascinating hobbies that I’ve gotten into.
      so far I’m very impressed with this scope it’s extremely portable which I wanted for reasons like tonight it’s a perfect grab and go scope and easy to use however the supplied 10mm could be better but I can upgrade that. Has been a very good purchase for £200.
      Thanks for reading if you’ve gotten this far and hopefully many more enjoyable nights and reports to come  
    • By pubquiz
      I have been thinking about having a go at  widefield stuff for a while and wondered if anyone could recommend a used decent camera lens to look out for on ebay etc.
      I would be using my QHY163C with it
      I currently have an Altair 102 triplet and a megrez 72 (sold my 8"RC last year ...still keeping an eye ot for a C9.25 to replace it for planetary/luna etc) on a Mesu 200 mount
      It would be used for wider stuff than I can get with the Megrez 72 ...say...the Heart and Sould Nebs in the same FOV.
      Just thought it would be something to try if I can pick up an old camera lens for a resonable price ....is a zoom worth considering? ...camera resolution is quite high at 3.4 size pixels so is a fixed fl better then crop after etc.
      Never done any AP with a camera lens so am total virgin with them....any thoughts/recommedations to put on the shortlist gratefully accepted.
    • By Dinglem
      For sale Orion autoguider package in excelent condition £200 delivered.
      Included in box:-
      Orion StarShoot autoguider
      Orion 50mm Guide Scope
      USB2 cable
      RJ11 cable
      Software disc