Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

• Announcements

SGL 2017 SP

Red Dwarfer

ISS ( I think ) off the shoulder of Orion

Uplooker    1,251

Great capture! Have your neighbours trees finally succumb to the excavators? Unobstructed skies beckoning???

• Like 1

Red Dwarfer    161
6 hours ago, Uplooker said:

Great capture! Have your neighbours trees finally succumb to the excavators? Unobstructed skies beckoning???

Thanks - the builders are clearing an old house to build a new development - not sure if they will fell the birch or not .

Edited by Red Dwarfer

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By lalou
      Sharing my shot of M42 Orion Nebula. This was taken in a dark site here in Philippines. Hope I can get your comments and suggestions so that I can improve on my shots. 
      Also will a UHC filter improve my shot? I recently bought the Baader UHC filter.

Celestron C6N reflector
      Celestron OmniXLT CG-4
      Nikon D90
      40x2mins lights (from what I can remember lol)

Thanks! 

• By Subdeo
      Hello All! 
        Currently, I have a Meade ETX 90 telescope. I really like it and get great views of the moon and planets out of it. However, I am hoping to upgrade to a large reflector.
        I am looking at various scopes ranging from the Orion SkyQuest XT8 to the forbiddingly pricey Orion SkyQuest XT12i Intelliscope. I know that aperture is one of the most important things to consider in a telescope, but I also realize that people can get "aperture fever" and go for scopes that are unnecessarily large.
        I am wondering; Is a bigger aperture worth the price jump from 8'' to 10'' or from  10'' to 12''? How much more will I be able to see?  I have heard that the best telescope for a person is dependent on the kinds of things they want to observe. I don't really look at deep sky objects (though I am getting increasingly interested in them), and mostly enjoy the moon, planets, and a few double stars. I want a telescope that will accommodate this, but is also able to have a great grasp on deep sky objects.
        Honestly I think I am on the right track with the scopes I am looking at, but I really want some advice on which size is best for me. What do you think?
        Thanks for the advice!

• By Atlantean98
      First of all, sorry about the crane  Don't get confused about the red light on top of it XD I was confused when i first looked at the image!
      Here you can see the Orion Constellation, and the Pleiades Cluster to the right of the image.
      Now that's over and done with, I am not sure of how long the exposure was, but i'm guessing 10-20 seconds of exposure, definitely f/2.8, i'm gonna guess the ISO Speed was ISO 200-400, not too sure on the focal length, though. I reckon this image was taken around early 2017, considering i was at one of my friend's house at the time, and he moved out of there around March/April time.
      Hope you like the picture 
    • By mike005
      ( Edit 20 Aug: adjusted to increase brightness )
      The Fighting Dragons of Ara ( NGC 6188 )

( please click/tap on image to see larger and sharper )

Original:
      The Fighting Dragons of Ara ( NGC 6188 )

( please click/tap on image to see larger and sharper )
      Bright Nebula NGC 6188 and open cluster NGC 6193 are embedded 4,300 light years away in the Sagittarius arm of our Milky Way galaxy and can be seen with the naked eye south of Scorpius in the constellation of Ara.
      With powerful stellar winds and energetic ultra-violet radiation, massive stars sculpt the interstellar gas and dust of the nebula into wonderful shapes and cause the interstellar gas to brightly fluoresce.  
      Closer to the hot young stars of the cluster, bright blue “sunlight” reflects off the clouds of gas and dust to produce the blue reflection nebulae seenin the image.
      Magnitude +5.19, RA 16h 41m 42s, Dec -48deg 48' 46".
      Approx. 3800 light years away.
      Image details:
      Plate Solution:
      Resolution .......0.586 arcsec/px ( original full size image ).
      Rotation .......... 89.764 deg.
      Pixel size ........ 3.90 um.
      Field of view ..... 58' 41.6" x 39' 9.5".
      Image center ...... RA: 16 40 09.856  Dec: -48 41 22.50.
      Image bounds:.   
      top-left ....... RA: 16 42 10.059  Dec: -49 10 30.54.   
      top-right ...... RA: 16 42 06.489  Dec: -48 11 57.14.   
      bottom-left .... RA: 16 38 11.010  Dec: -49 10 39.74.   
      bottom-right ... RA: 16 38 11.897  Dec: -48 12 05.58.
      Telescope: 
      Orion Optics CT12 Newtonian ( mirror 300mm, fl 1200mm, f4 ).
      Corrector: ASA 2" Coma Corrector Quattro 1.175x.
      Effective Focal Length / Aperture : 1410mm f4.7.
      Mount: Skywatcher AZ Eq6 GT.
      Guiding: TSOAG9 Off-Axis-Guider, Starlight Xpress Lodestar X2, PHD2 .
      Camera:
      Nikon D5300 (unmodified) (sensor 23.5 x 15.6mm, 6016x4016 3.9um pixels).
      Moderate light pollution ( pale green zone on darksitefinder.com map ).
      Capture ( 24 June 2017 ).
      12 sets of sub-images with exposure duration for each set doubling ( 1/8s to 240s ) all at ISO800.
      34 x 240s + 10 each @ 1/8s to 120s.
      Processing ( Pixinsight - 19 Aug 2017  ).
      Calibration: master bias, master flat and no darks.
      Integration in 12 sets.
      HDR combination
      PhotometricColorCalibration.

• By alynwallace
      Hi guys,

Bit of a lurker here but time for a first post as I've scoured every corner of the internet and cannot find the exact info I'm after.

My style of shooting is more landscape astrophotography over deep space and I really want to be able to photograph Orion using a wide angle lens (eg. Samyang 24mm) on either a Canon 6D or a Sony A7SII and pick up the nebulosity.

I have a tracking mount (Star Adventurer Mini) and am familiar with stacking images. I was wondering if a light pollution filter would help my cause here as I've read they can help boost nebulosity.

Started to get my head in a twist with all the various filters and different types of nebulosity. I really don't want to modify either camera as I use them both for daytime landscape work too.

The Samyang 24mm has a 77mm thread on the front, would something like a Hoya Red Intensifier be beneficial to my aims? Is there a better front threaded filter available for what I want? Or is a clip-in filter better?

Any help much appreciated,
      Alyn