Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Tracer batteries

They are basically pretty similar, but the Li-Ion ones use a liquid electrolyte and are somewhat more volatile (the exploding Samsung phones).  The LiFePO4 use a dry electrolyte so are more flexible for designing in to custom applications etc. and tend to be able to take a bit more of a knock, and higher temperatures (without exploding).

Neither type will suffer with memory effect, and both have a long storage life and low self discharge rate, but the dry cell design of the LiFePO4 type means they are generally able to cycle more over their life time.

For astro applications either will be fine.

29 minutes ago, RayD said:

They are basically pretty similar, but the Li-Ion ones use a liquid electrolyte and are somewhat more volatile (the exploding Samsung phones).  

This actually just made me burst out laughing. Good job I have a Sony phone and no intention on connecting it to anything other than its original charger.

As I don't plan on travelling too often I'll probably just go for the lithium as it's cheaper. 

Thanks 

6 minutes ago, geordie85 said:

This actually just made me burst out laughing. Good job I have a Sony phone and no intention on connecting it to anything other than its original charger.

As I don't plan on travelling too often I'll probably just go for the lithium as it's cheaper. 

Thanks 

Yes I suppose it could have looked a bit alarmist ? that wasn't the intention of course.  I have a Samsun S8 and it's fine, as are most other phones with Li-ion batteries, but when they do go wrong it can be spectacular.

I agree, the Li-ion will be fine, particular for astro as they don't tend to have huge amounts of cycles, so should last ages.

I occasionally fly to dark sky locations (example Tenerife) taking my Nexstar SE4 'grab & go'. I have this word of caution about choosing batteries....

I use/take a Tracer 12v; 8Ah battery. 

If there is any prospect of you flying; DON'T buy/take a larger power supply than this despite the apparent price/value/storage/time advantage. Also DON'T charge your battery before departure. Indeed, ensure it has been significantly discharged.

All airlines now have limits and some require any Lithium spare battery to be discharged to below 30% of capacity.  Also the terminals should be shielded by insulation tape or the battery carried in a seperate plastic pouch or original packaging.

The limit is typically a Watt-hour rating of 100Wh, but a rare few carriers might permit slightly larger for "personal use" (check with your airline). My battery is 12v x 8ah = 98Wh. Yet it is one of the smallest Tracer units.

I carry SE4 tube; mount and battery in hand luggage (fits inside a rucksack in OEM foam) whilst my Tripod goes in hold luggage.  Knowledge of the rules assists, as talking confidently to airport security staff speeds you through this process. 

If you locate any check out the discharge curves for each type.

One of them will start at 12v but it drops pretty fast to below that, reason being that often some scopes dislike a low voltage, and you don't want to get somewhere and find that after 30 minutes you have voltage problems.

Thanks for the words of warning Noah but I have no intention on taking my setup overseas. The most I'd take if I managed an astrophotography would be my scope, DSLR and star adventurer. I wouldn't trust an airline with any more than that and even then I may even just use lenses and leave the scope at home.

3 minutes ago, ronin said:

If you locate any check out the discharge curves for each type.

One of them will start at 12v but it drops pretty fast to below that, reason being that often some scopes dislike a low voltage, and you don't want to get somewhere and find that after 30 minutes you have voltage problems.

I'd be buying from FLO and would e-mail them before hand to ensure my Atik would be fine and not suffer any voltage drops.

I too had no intention of ever taking my scope overseas. But British Skies in the South East have become progressively more disappointing and unpredictable whilst  accommodation ever more expensive.  I spent four nights last week in a cosy woodland lodge at Kelling Heath, which cost me £450 to merely watch dense clouds. It has been almost two months since I last witnessed decent conditions in the UK. By contrast, I can get to Tenerife for barely more if I plan ahead and stay in budget accomodation. Then above the clouds in the caldera of Mt Teide is just awesome. But Ecuador and the Galapagos exceed everything.

I'd love to be able to travel for my hobby but with a wife and child under 2 it'll be a good few years before I could travel any great distance. Once little man is older and I'm able to travel more I'll heed your advice . 

8 hours ago, RayD said:

Archived