Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Sign in to follow this  

Hi! This is from last night. Taken at Taurus Hill Observatory, Finland. Florence is still quite bright but relative speed to background stars has slowed down alot as the asteroid moves away from Earth. Perioid seems to be approx. 2,4 hours. In the second image I stacked 1 hour of 60s sub-exposures to show movement of the asteroid.

3122-florence.jpg

3122-florence-2.jpg

• Like 5

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By jambouk
      We are running a session at my local society on transits and occultations. One station will focus on exoplanet transits, and we'd like to build a very simple model to demonstrate this. We have a star (light source) and an orbiting "planet" but I need to work out how to detect the changes in light intensity and display this on a laptop, like a classical transit photometry trace below (taken from https://heasarc.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/tess/primary-science.html).
      Is there a way to take a feed from a DSLR through the USB output to do this, else I could get an adapter for my ZWO and put an EOS lens on the front of that. I really do want a light intensity vs time trace in real time on the laptop. This model will be run in a darkened room.
      Thanks for any comments.
      James

• By 7170
      I've been trying to do some photometry with my DSLR with a view to using it on variable stars as a quick "grab and go" solution when there is a gap in clouds etc.

Rather than looking at variables I decided to start off with comparing some fixed stars to identify how well I can estimate magnitudes with my DSLR, and the table above shows the results.
      Using only two stacked frames (5s, ISO 800, F3.5 on my 5DMk2) with no darks, light polluted london sky, and just one comparison star I seem to be able to get to around 1% variance for the majority of the readings, with the worse being 2.54% out. Trying Chi Cas, against Upsilon1, Upsilon2 and omegaAnd comes up with M4.67 which is mag0.03 different (0.55%).
      I'll be honest I am surprised at the results as it is not all that far off the 0.01-0.02 mag range often quoted for looking at exoplanet transits for example. Has anyone else tried this exercise as i'm interested to know how these results stack up - good or bad. The only thing I know for sure is I couldn't get it that close visually using my eyes!  
    • Guest maryh96
      By Guest maryh96
      Hi, I am doing an end of degree project on variable stars due next thursday and London's weather does not allow finish it. I was wondering if someone would do me the favour of observing the pulsating variable star V0460 Andromeda http://variablestars.net/stars/460/ in the Johnson R filter, for a period of 1 hour and 50 minutes? please?
      Thanks so much!
    • By VilleM
      Hi, after almost 2 months of clouds there was finally a clear night in sight. I made most of it, imaging until clouds rolled in about 4 in the morning.
      I shot these using two telescopes at Taurus Hill Observatory. Its fun to operate two at the same time, luckily its possible from indoors.
      Ill also attach here light curve of variable star V0416 UMa that I made during the same night with C14 and SBIG ST-8 on Paramount ME mark II. Other images are taken with 16" f/8 Meade SCT and SBIG STT8300M on Paramount ME mark I. Im expecially happy with Dembowska, I tried to get complete light curve twice in 2017 but clouds or fog always ruined my photometry.

Milkyway was also beautiful as always, I spent some time outdoors just looking at it while telescopes clicked more subs. Worth every second in the cold, windy night!

• By John C
      I would like to start photometry of variable stars and eventually would like to be able to contribute to the AAVSO . I am going to buy a CCD camera and need to match it to one of my two scopes. I understand that for photometry the FWHM of a star should cover 2-3 pixels. I’m not sure which scope is best for photometry. I have a Celestron 8 Edge HD and a Skywatcher 80 Equinox Pro. Which scope is likely to give a big enough field of view to pick up comparison stars yet also capture enough light to give scientifically useful data?  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.