Narrowband

issues with atik 314e.. ?defective

abhoriel

Old camera, I know.. purchased second hand. I think its broken though, but I'm finding it difficult to test. I cant get any stars to show up, the best I managed was to get the moon as a very elongated blur (elongated upwards always). I cant get anything meaningful when trying it out with the telescope during the day, but I may be struggling to find focus. The CCD is certainly sensitive to light as taking an exposure of a light yields a white frame. I've tried taking some shots of a torch with a pinhole lens made out of tinfoil and have attached the results. Are these upward smudges normal? I'm not using any filters or anything (as I dont have any yet). Does this camera seem broken to you? Do you think Atik will be able to repair it? Does anyone have any suggestions! I'm not really sure where to go next with this..

test1.tif

test2.tif

test3.tif

I have a previous thread here:

What about uploading an image of your current camera set-up?

It may help identifying any issues....

Here's mine (which I also uploaded to your other message thread.)

If the camera is being identified by the PC and the drivers work under Artemis you should be able to take an image.....

100_3411.JPG

Check the window on the camera - make sure it's clean and clear and that you can see the sensor clearly.

Are you running on USB1 or USB2? What power source do you use for the cooling? It needs around 2A supply.

Just thinking of possible issues........

Ok I've attached photos of the layout. There are no filters in the layout.

Also I've attached a photo of a distant tree taken with the set up. Its not possible to focus it, but I focused it with my Nikon DSLR on the tree, measured how far out the focuser was racked, added the Nikon flange focal distance to that (46.5mm), subtracted the Atik 314e flange focal distance (12mm) and then attached the Atik camera and set the focuser to that calculated distance. I just get the smudge of light, adjusting focus doesn't work, but rotating the telescope moves the smudge of light across the image. 

I've attached a dark too. I'm asking Atik what they think, the think the dark is fine at least. 

Sorry for the delay and thanks so much for your input!

tree.fit

dark300s3.fit

20170914_194417-1.jpg

Thanks very much Merlin66 for your suggestions.

I've tried different exposures. If I lose the filter wheel then I won't have enough back focus though!

Atik have said to send the CCD in for investigations/repairs. I don't know how much this will cost. I think I'm going to do one last test on the night sky before its clear.. The camera was sold to me as working, and it seems an odd way for it to malfunction.

I'll keep you updated

• 1 month later...

As promised, updates..

Atik looked at the camera, they tried changing the motherboard but it did not fix the problem and they decided that the sensor is dead and that repairing it was not worthwhile. I asked them if I should bother looking for an old sensor on eBay and try and fix it myself and they said no as changes may need to be made to the motherboard for a new sensor and that the motherboard may also be broken. So it's pretty useless! They only charged me for return delivery though, I'm impressed with Atik's service. I've come to an amicable arrangement with the seller that I got it from (who was not aware of it being defective). 

Archived