Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Oooh hello M31......

RayD

I am currently in Spain on a bit of a break and last night whilst my imaging run was doing its thing, I thought I would take advantage of the dark and clear skies (sorely missed at home for some time) and got out my little 8x20 Pentax binoculars.  With the briefest of spots from Mirach, up 2 stars, and there in all its really identifiable glory was M31.  I have some 25x80 Celestrons also, but the view through the small Pentax ones was great, and if anything better for this target than the larger ones, and of course holdable.

Also I have never managed to make out M31 with my naked eyes as they aren't that good, but last night this changed, and using the same technique as above could easily make it out. I was so pleased to see this, along with a couple of satellites which didn't make it to the imaging, which was nice, and a couple of meteors.  

Back out imaging tonight and already got the sun lounger ready for another lovely evening of semi wide filed views through what have now become my current favourite visual accessory ?

Don't worry - nobody is at all jealous of you out there under warm night time clear skies! Have an excellent time and enjoy the spectacular views. You're right there is something basic and completely satisfying about just kicking back and soaking up the whole thing or nice wide chunks of it. It's a bit breezy and definitely cloudy back here in good ol' England.

17 minutes ago, PhotoGav said:

Don't worry - nobody is at all jealous of you out there under warm night time clear skies! Have an excellent time and enjoy the spectacular views. You're right there is something basic and completely satisfying about just kicking back and soaking up the whole thing or nice wide chunks of it. It's a bit breezy and definitely cloudy back here in good ol' England.

? Thanks Gav (and sorry).

For no specific reason at all, I just never normally get the small binoculars out of a night time, and am just so glad I did.  I am certainly a new advocator of small binoculars on clear nights, it's wonderful.

56 minutes ago, RayD said:

? Thanks Gav (and sorry).

For no specific reason at all, I just never normally get the small binoculars out of a night time, and am just so glad I did.  I am certainly a new advocator of small binoculars on clear nights, it's wonderful.

Forgot to say, it's raining too. Go hunting for the Double Cluster - it's great through small optics.

Archived