Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

• Announcements

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar.jpg

jdmgray    1

Hi all, 

Not sure I'm in the right place or not but I was hoping someone could help...

I have an Altair Astro GPCamV2 and the box tells you to get the software from http://cameras.altairastro.com/ and that it will only work with Windows!

I was wondering if anyone else has gotten this type of cam working on a Linux os before and what the steps were for doing so. (Other software that will work, terminal commands for the drivers etc.)

thank you in advance 😊

JamesF    7,675

There is a beta release of AltairCapture (or whatever it is called) for Linux and OSX that may well support it, though I don't have one to test.

If it does work with AltairCapture then there's a strong possibility that it will also work with the next release of oacapture on Linux and OSX, along with many, if not all, of the other Altair cameras as long as the beta release is already installed so the drivers are available.

James

jdmgray    1

Just thought I would leave some feedback on this.....

First off, it worked!!!:hello2:

I thought I'd leave some steps on how I did it to help the next person.

1) click on the link and download the file that James posted.

2) next right click on the file, go to properties and make sure "Allow executing file as program" is checked

3) open your terminal and type the following:

cd /home/user/downloads

chmod +x AltairCapture.x64.run

./AltairCapture.x64.run

4) after this an Altair Capture icon should appear on your desktop....

Once again many thanks to James.

JamesF    7,675

Depending on which release of which distribution you're running, I believe you may also need to restart udev using something like:

$ sudo service udev restart

(or a reboot should work).

James

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By jdmgray
      Basically trying to decide between these two operating systems, obviously I will comparing them myself. Just looking for pros, cons of existing users...
    • By mike005
      The Sculptor or Silver Coin Galaxy ( NGC 253 ) in the Sculptor constellation - re-processed from the original subs

The Sculptor Galaxay ( NGC 253 )            ( Please click / tap on image to see larger and sharper )
      The Silver Coin Galaxy ( NGC 253 ) in the Sculptor constellation ( aka the Silver Dollar or Sculptor Galaxy ).
      Caroline Herschel in 1783 was the first to recordthis bright ‘nebula’ in an area of the southern sky that Nicolas de Lacaille had called the “Apparatus Sculptoris” or “the sculptor’s studio”.
      Whilst relatively close to us compared to the billions of far more distant galaxies in the Universe, the great size of the “Sculptor Galaxy” and the huge distances involved are still hard to comprehend. To put this into some perspective, the light that is just now reaching one edge of the great disc left the opposite edge when the Earth was in the grip of last great Ice Age 70,000 years ago and the light we now see has been travelling towards us for over 11 million years.
      Details:
      NGC 253 - "Silver Coin" or "Sculptor" galaxy.
      Catalogue location:  RA 00 48 23, DEC -25 11 52.
      From Image Solver:
      Image centre:  RA 00 47 33.4   Dec. -25 17 11.1
      Focal length:  1008.5 mm
      Field of view:  1d 19' 2.2"   x   53' 0.3"

Skywatcher Quattro 10" f4 Newtonian telescope.
      Skywatcher AZ Eq6 GT Mount.
      Orion Short Tube 80mm guide scope & auto guider - PHD2.
      Baader MPCC Mark 3 Coma Corrector & no filter.
      Nikon D5300 (unmodified).
      Field of view (deg) ~ 1.35 x 0.90.
      20 x 180 sec ISO 800, long exp noise reduction on.
      Pixinsight & Photoshop.
      November 4, 2016
      re-processed from original subs ( including Photometric Colour Calibration ) - September 9, 2017
      Details of Sculptor Galaxy from SkySafari for the 4th of November 2016 around 10pm local time

Annotated version ( using Pixinsight ImageSolver and Annotation scripts )

Sculptor Galaxy ( NGC 253 ) - annotated
      The cyan tags ( 35 or so ) relate to galaxies recorded in the Principal Galaxies Catalogue. 
      The white tags are brighter stars as recorded in the Tycho-2 Catalogue.  The number beneath is the magnitude of the referenced star. 
      Link to previous version below ...

• By StratfordMatt
      Hi,
      I'm fairly experienced at visual observation with my Meade ETX-125 but have just been given an Altair-astro GPCAM AR0130 Colour as a birthday gift. I've set up to my laptop ok but when connected and placed in telescope all I am seeing is a black screen. 
      If I have telescope focussed for EP and then replace with camera I just get black. Even with bright object such as Jupiter. I feel sure I'm missing something obvious (but I have removed the lens cap!). 
      Is it that my telescope is unsuitable or just I need more patience to find the right setup?
    • By mountainmadman
      Good evening members of the SGL collective,
      This is one of those questions that could be put into several different topics, but seeing as it's a beginner question with this particular bit of kit, I though I'd start here...
      I've recently invested in one of these:  https://www.altairastro.com/Altair-GPCAM-50mm-Guide-Scope-Camera-Kit.html to add guiding to my set up.  Because of the weather, I've only managed to get it outside once, but that was enough to raise a question.
      Incase you can't visit the link, it's a Altair 50mm Guide Scope Package with GPCAM Mono.  With the package came with a short extender for the camera along with the associated cables for connectivity etc.  Actually, the description of the kit contents on the website is spot on.  However, what I can't find information on is the process for focusing the kit.  On the only time I had this out under the stars, the only way I could achieve any sort of focus is partially pulling out the camera from guide scope.  It just seemed like that there wasn't enough back focus on the guide scope by quite some margin.  Eventually, I did get some sort of focus, although definitely by luck.  It was sufficient to get the SharpCap software working though.
      So, what I was wondering is if there were any other SGL members who own this guide kit, and, if they have any words of wisdom to impart about its correct setup please?
      Thanks for your time everyone,
      Clear Skies,
      Tony