Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Practicality of Altair Astro Starbase TriPier System

Hi there everyone, I'm considering buying the Altair Astro Starbase field tripier.  Wondered if anybody has one of these and could provide some feedback on its practicality as a field tripod.  I'm used to the conventional folding tripod setup and the Starbase would be a departure from that, in the hope of obtaining a more stable platform for my current Vixen SXW/8" Edge HD setup and any future larger mount/telescope combination that I may decide upon.  In particular I am interested in the setup process since the legs appear to be separate from the central pier.

Kind Regards

Paul J.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Paul,

I'm using the Altair Starbase for my Mesu200 and 10" SW Quattro. I'm a mobile imager, so setting up in the field for each session.

I find the Starbase excellent and very solid. The legs of the tripod are permanently attached and folds in/spreads in a second, so setting up is very quick. Beware the total length when folded is fairly long, so you need a bit of space in the car. The legs are not separate, and detaching them for each session is not the intention of the design. I didn't measure but folded the top of the tripod will reach your chest. I can measure if you want to know the space required for transportation to the field.

I always use the tripod set up with the legs fully spread. In that case you need a fairly level ground as the feet adjusters have limited travel. The legs does allow for greater adjustments if single legs are not spread to the maximum.

I'm very happy with the Starbase. It's rock solid, quick to set up, looks great and I like the open spaces in the pier section allowing space for installation of a mini PC and lipo bank (future project).

Cheers, Heine

I use a starbase & they are a first class piece of kit must be seen to appreciate the build quality of this tripod, altair are no longer selling them i believe, my mate tracked one down after weeks of searching & eventually found one at Teleskop service germany, but the price tag was soo high! As rare as hens teeth im afraid!

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies for taking so long to get back to this thread.  That's disappointing news about the Starbase.  Unfortunately I won't simply be able to pick one up second hand  as there is not currently a Vixen SX compatible adapter plate for the Starbase.  I had hoped to talk to AA about them adding the Vixen adapter to there supported list.  Having said this, suppose it might still be possible to have the adapter made by a 3rd party.

Archived