Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

coatesg

NGC6888 - Crescent in HA mono

Captured the data for this image on Saturday evening with an ~85% moon floating around, but pleased with the level of data I managed to get here. 

Taken using ST2000XM, Astrodon 5nm HA filter, through FLT110 at f5.6. This was first run after summer with a new adaptor between the drawtube of the FLT and the FLAT4 reducer - works brilliantly as it eliminates play found in the 2" nose/adaptor as before, and also reduces the vignetting as well. Exposures were 11 x 1200sec with APT; off-axis guiding with an ASI120MM and PHD2; reduction/processing in PI with final levels tweak in PS. 

So much background stuff here, I didn't bother with any DBE as couldn't really place the markers! Think the flats have worked nicely here though (tends to be less of an issue with backgrounds through HA anyhow). 

Thanks for looking!

NGC6888_Full.jpg

Edited by coatesg
Rework!
  • Like 7

Nice image, you don't see many people using the KAI2020 sensor cameras these days what with the KAF8300 and the ASI1600 being so dominant. Do you find that it still holds up ok / works with windows 10?

Thanks both :)

Yes, the 2020 is getting on a bit now (this camera is 12yo now!), but it performs well still. No issues with the drivers under win 7 (and I presume 10) - SBIG (well, Diffraction Ltd now) still support it and are still using the drivers. 

I would like to get another newer camera at some point - either a 8300 (though wary of RBI) or a ICX694 based camera (QE and noise great, but not much improvement in FOV...). Still not decided! 

Edited by coatesg

7 minutes ago, coatesg said:

Thanks both :)

Yes, the 2020 is getting on a bit now (this camera is 12 to now!), but it performs well still. No issues with the drivers under win 7 (and I presume 10) - SBIG (well, Diffraction Ltd now) still support it and are still using the drivers. 

I would like to get another newer camera at some point - either a 8300 (though way of RBI) or a ICX694 based camera (QE and noise great, but not much improvement in FOV...). Still not decided! 

Well done, a nice mono image. Lots of fans of the 8300 chip here on SGL, but I'm a 694'er myself! Both great chips, you can't go wrong :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johnrt said:

Well done, a nice mono image. Lots of fans of the 8300 chip here on SGL, but I'm a 694'er myself! Both great chips, you can't go wrong :)

Thanks John, 

The 694 is edging it or me at the moment for weight, sensitivity and cheaper filters, but the pixel size of the 8300 is better suited - it'll eventually be mostly used on a 14" newt when I get the tubes/dovetail milled by a mate. Here I won't get a multi-degree field like on a short 'frac and I'll often be chasing galaxies and smaller faint stuff (though the FLT is still an option). And I can use camera lenses still especially if mobile, where it will outperform my 350d.

But the FoV is still an attraction...!! Aargh!

Great looking Crescent :)

Regarding a camera...... Welcome to the hot debate of KAF8300 v's Sony chips!! I am a great fan of the KAF8300, it gives a bit of real estate for a reasonable price and if you get the right ones you can still use 1.25" filters.

But there is a place for the Sony chips for sure!! I have an ICX814 in my case as we speak as a new camera for the TMB 152/1200. Its a difficult decision to make!!

Thanks Sara - yeah, tricky one! Don't think I would find either bad at all, just which is best!!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.