sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_31.thumb.jpg.b7a41d6a0fa4e315f57ea3e240acf140.jpg

Nexus DSC First Light

Hi all, if you have been following my thread below you will know I have been eagerly looking forward to testing the NEXUS DSC from AstroDevices.com.

The kit arrived last week and I installed it in my Stellarvur M2 mount immediately.  Quite straight forward installation as it turned out, encoders tucked away inside and out of sight.

The tray too was a 20 second job to attach and I was set. Weather was and is rubbish so I had time to read the manual and play with the device.  It is a very comprehensive bit of kit yet simple to set up and use.  My intention was to use it as a stand alone device or with Sky Safari running on my iPhone or both as it turned out.  Also I intend to switch it between my  M2 mount holding my StellarVue SV70T and my 20" goto dob.

This report is on the M2 only.

The sky would not clear and the Moon was full and I was fed up.  I just wanted two stars up there to do a quick alignment that's all, think I was asking to win the lottery or something!  Then the other night it happened.  I noticed a gap in the clouds so I grabbed the scope which is always set up and went outside.  No finder was attached!  I knew by the time I got the red dot set up the stars would be gone so I stuck the Ethos 13mm in and now I had a three degree field of view finder!  I pointed at Polaris which was now briefly visible and placed near the centre and pressed OK.  Then swung around to Altair and did the same and presto it beeped "Align Successful!  In a mad hurry I selected the Messier catalogue and hit 3 then 1 and up popped the arrows instantly, off I went to M31 and when I looked in the eyepiece it was as close to centre as my initial alignment star was. I hit  13 and off I went to M13, Bang on! Considering the light pollution is so bad here now I could barley make out the keystone so no chance of star-hopping to M13.  I did a few more then the stars vanished.  I was delighted and had complete confidence that when I selected an object and couldn't see it it was because it was too faint.

Second Night

Few clouds around and Moon just rising.  My intention was to use my Baader Hyperion Zoom MK IV and 2.5 barlow.  I was going to test for pointing accuracy and also use SkySafari on my iPhone.  I carefully aligned on the same two stars making sure I zoomed in and off I went.  This time I went through about 25 objects one after the other and every one was right in the centre of my field of view, fantastic.  I paired the WiFi to  the iPhone and hit connect (after I set SkySafari up for the Nexus).  After a few moments it connected.  The beauty of using it this was is because I cannot remember the M number or NGC number of everything so just looking at my iPhone and touching a target is great.  I touched M57 the ring nebulae and on the Nexus the arrows pointed the way.  It didn't display the name M57, just pointed.  Couldn't see it in the eyepiece but I knew it was in the centre so I slowly zoomed and it popped out bigger and bigger!  I love this device!  You can use the Nexus keypad or iPhone to locate something seamlessly. 

Please download and read the manual to learn more about the device as I have only touched the surface here.  It just works, perfectly.

By the way, after I took the attached picture last night I forgot to turn it off.  About 11:00 this morning I noticed the display was still on!  Battery level was about 8%.  Its rechargable BTW.

Thanks for reading

Clem

IMG_1578.JPG

• Like 2

That's encouraging Clem, nice set up. There is a clear sky threatened tonight so hopefully might get first light with mine, might give the Equinox 80 a run out. Need to test some new EPs as well! 

Edited by JG777
12 hours ago, flostar said:

Thanks a lot for the report, that's the first one I've seen on the Nexus and the M2. Excellent.

Thanks, It really is grab and go.  The Gitzo tripod, though expensive, weighs nothing and can hold an elephant.  i can move it all around with one hand.

Clem