SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

AZEQ6GT Polar scope

Longinthetooth

Hi folks, I wondered if anyone could help me with this. I've had the AZEQ6GT for a while now and it's set up approximately polar aligned. I now would like to do this more accurately. I've had a go at Astroshed's polar cam mod (Philips spc900 with 32mm pipe end attached - thanks Dion) and I've attached the view I get through the polar scope. As you can see the reticle pattern is displaced about 45 degrees from the vertical. I'd like to get this pattern set properly but am not sure how exactly to do that. The reticle pattern does not move when I rotate the scope in RA. Reading the instruction manual suggests it should : "rotate the RA axis to put the 0 o'clock of the reticle at the highest position in the FOV" . I can see that there is a collimation mark (directly below the scale) which is also displaced - you can see this in the second photo. I can see little screws below the scale but don't want to start twiddling them until I know what they do.... I don't want to make matters worse!

(I numbered the adjustment grub screws and have just replaced one with a thumb screw to make adjustment easier - I'll replace the other 2 asap. The issue predates this replacement.)

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Regards

John B

Image1.jpg

Polar scope.jpg

Hi John,

Learn something new every day....  First thing to do, is to check that the scope is aligned to the mount (what the 3 grub screws are for), when set, they shouldn't need adjusting again. This can be done during daylight, using something like a distant fixed object (aerial) which is centred on the cross in the middle while rotating the mount in RA. Adjust the grub screws so that when the mount is rotated, the cross stays in a fixed point.

You should then be good to go for your night-time alignment. 

If all else fails, get a Polemaster, & it takes less than 10 mins to set up...

John,

I don't know if you have seen this video from Astronomyshed, it describes how to align the polar scope to the mount (described by Julian).  Effectively what you are doing is making sure that the polarscope is centred in the bore of the mount. 

Jim

[youtube] 

Thanks for your replies folks. Yes I used the Astroshed videos (very helpful for anyone aligning for the first time). My query is really about why I can't get the reticle engraving with 0 at the top (it doesn't move at all when you rotate the RA axis) and what I should do to set it back to the correct place. I realise I could ignore the fact that 0 isn't at the top and place Polaris on the "circle by eye" but I wanted it to look right.

1 hour ago, Longinthetooth said:

Thanks for your replies folks. Yes I used the Astroshed videos (very helpful for anyone aligning for the first time). My query is really about why I can't get the reticle engraving with 0 at the top (it doesn't move at all when you rotate the RA axis) and what I should do to set it back to the correct place. I realise I could ignore the fact that 0 isn't at the top and place Polaris on the "circle by eye" but I wanted it to look right.

I think on the polarscope there are some more screws above the 3 adjustment grubscrew to get reticle parallel  that you can slacken off and rotate the reticle  so 0 is at the top I might be wrong.

Archived