Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

• Announcements

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_nb_dso.jpg.eb6cd158659331fd13e71470af6da381.jpg

Dave1

Skywatcher 180 pro mount

Dave1    126

Hello everyone

I have a new telescope arriving this coming Friday. Which is the Skymax 180 pro. It will be used for visual only to look at the planets mainly. I need a mount for this telescope. I have two tripods I can use, which both have EQ5 mount head. 

So I need a mount which can fit an EQ5 tripod essentially. The two tripods I have are Berlebach Uni 28 ( EQ5 ) and Skywatcher EQ5 tripod.

So would a normal basic EQ5 be able to support a 180 Mak? I have also seen a Vixen GP for sale, would this be up to the job? And would it fit my tripods?

I'm open to offers of other mounts?

Dave

Edited by Dave1

xtreemchaos    9,279

a eq5 would be fine for vis, but not so good for imaging if you later when up that route but still possible. charl.

• Like 1

Dave1    126

Thanks Charl,

What are mounts like with driven RA Axis ( not goto ) that work with sidereal time? Are they good for tracking planets? Keeping planets in the field of view? It can be sped up by 2X or 8X.

Dave

triton1    582

I have the Cg5 on a two inch tripod which tracks in ra only and found it to be very accurate.I remember waiting for the grs on Jupiter to appear when a rooftop got in the way so I went in to have a cuppa,30 minutes later went out and Jupiter had reappeared still in the centre of the ep.

F15Rules    1,602

The Vixen is far superior to the EQ5, much better tolerances and build, and will handle a Mak 180 nicely.

There is also a Vixen GP DX (this has a higher load capacity)) just gone on sale on UKAstrobuysell including Starbook which is a steal at £450! (I have no affiliation with the sale).

Good luck!

Dave

Edited by F15Rules

Dave1    126

Thanks Dave.

In the end, I went for an Altair Astro Sabre 2. My first Alt Az mount, see how I get on with it. Up until now, I've always had Equatorial mounts. I probably would of got the GP DX, another time hopefully. 

F15Rules    1,602

I'll be interested to hear your opinion of the Sabre Dave, it's a nice looking piece of kit.

Hope you can share your first light with us soon 😊..

Dave

Dave1    126

Yes I will probably share my thoughts on the mount. Might even try to mount my new Skywatcher 180 pro mak and 60 mm Skylight at the same time.

Would be great to be able to use both.

Dave