SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hello SGL :D

Atlantean98

Hi all from Stargazers Lounge! I started a few weeks back but I should have introduced myself! My name is Jordan and I'm from Harrow, London. I like to go out with my telescope to the nearest nature reserve and admire the heavens above :D My area is very light polluted because of Central London and places around it, but, it's not all bad and I get some amazing nights here! I can just see Andromeda Galaxy in a fuzzy manner, and I can definitely say over 200+ visible stars in the sky at night :) I'm just a normal person otherwise that gets on with life, but my passion for astronomy is never-ending so I must say I love it. I'm a beginner I'd say, got a basic 70az Celestron Powerseeker (I know it's bad, but I'm on a tight budget right now :D ), it gives me everything I need right now and I recently got a Canon EOS 1300D, which is absolutely stunning. I've been into astronomy ever since I can remember (18 now, going to be 19 next month), but only gotten into it properly two-three years back.

How are you guys? And what's the last thing you observed?

Have a good day all, and hope to hear back!?

Hi Atlantean98 / Jordan and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

Not sure about the last thing observed; but one of the best things I observed was a conjunction of Venus & Mercury several years ago from T3/LHR... I was airside at the time and took a photo of it with a Nokia 6170 phone.

Welcome to the SGL Community Jordan. Light pollution is the bane of Amateur Astronomers residing in most areas of the UK.
There are some Dark Skies around, but finding one near is sometimes difficult.
I know you have just joined SGL, but there is a Star Party taking place Herfordshire in October. 
All the Information is available on the Forum if you are interested. The meeting is open to all members, and you will be welcome
If you decide to attend. You would need accommodation such as a Tent, or Caravan. There are other options on the Camp Site, but I would guess they have all been snapped up now. It's a really friendly atmosphere, and a plethora of different Instruments are always there too.
May be too much of  an Intro for you being new, but you can have a look and see what you think.
Anyway, the main thing is you join in the posts here, and you will soon make some friends, that's really one of the positives here, it is a friendly, and helpful place, and any help you need, just ask away.
Best Wishes.

Thank you for the welcome Carastro, and yup, the light pollution is extremely bad here, we literally have Heathrow around 8 miles away, and Wembley Stadium too only down the road.

Thank you for the welcome Phillip G! And wow, that must have been amazing to see! To my knowledge I haven't seen a conjunction of planets, I will need to look into this and make a plan for the next one (hopefully if the skies are clear that evening/night/morning...

Thank you for the welcome Barkis, indeed light pollution is the bane of us Amateur Astronomers :( But, we do find our ways, though! And thanks for the info about the Star Party event! I will definitely keep it in mind, just need to see if I have any plans during the October period...

Dave In Vermont and Pete Presland, thank you for the warm welcomes!

Archived