Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss.thumb.jpg.5b348d6a5e7f27bdcb79e9356b7fc03b.jpg

Demon Barber

Galloway Spring Gathering 2018

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, hadyn42 said:

Hello Mike

Thanks for the message.  Christina and I are keeping well thanks, we hope you are keeping well and warm too?

Not heard anything from Adrian for ages, not seen any posts from him either. I tried ringing him Christmas time, but no answer. I don't even know has he signed up the GSP this month either?

Take care, hope to see you in just over two weeks time.

Best regards,

Christina and Hadyn - IOM

 

Hi Haydn,

I might be confused between Spring and Autumn but I thought Aidrian said he would be attending

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

I booked to attend this in Feb 2017 but storm Doris had different ideas, then the heavy rain caused the site to be closed last November so hopefully 3rd time lucky.

I need to finalise what days to attend - Please will someone confirm the main days?

Also I'm partial to a single malt so may bring a bottle along if others are interested.

Thanks,

Mark

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Guys

Sorry to say I had to cancel Galloway Spring Starcamp today as caravan transformer is fried, have a reconditioned unit on way but van will need a bit of creative rewiring.

Unfortunately can't make the Galloway Autumn Starcamp either due to dates coinciding with other commitments but wish everyone a great time! ;-)

I will however be at Kielder, just bringing MPV so hope to see some of you there! :-)

Mike

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Mark,yes the weather can be be a real pain,but we have got good weather on order, the event runs from the Monday to Sunday and a lot of people choose to attend for the duration,there will be folk  who come earlier and stay later so don`t worry everyday is a main day!!!!!!!!!!

As for your predilection for a single malt you will be in good company,there is usually too many to choose from,so bring your fav tipple  :icon_biggrin:.

Looking forward to meeting you,

Regards

Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Mike what a bummer, you will be missed,how about selling your scope,oops not really a solution,hope you get it sorted,and for a sensible cost.

I  take it you and yours are keeping well? Keep checking for posts  Mike and with any luck there will be plenty of photo`s for you to peruse.

Hope to catch up with you later in the year.

Regards

Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Mike

Thanks, yes all well here ...same with you I hope.

Very frustrating situation as I was really looking forward to Galloway, a repair project for the lighter nights for me then! :-(

Catch up soon as we get back on the road.

Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/03/2018 at 20:00, Uplooker said:

Hi Haydn,

I might be confused between Spring and Autumn but I thought Aidrian said he would be attending

Ian

Hi Ian and Hadyn,

Ian is correct, the last time we were in touch I told him that I was planning on attending the Spring 2018 Star Party.

I have booked Saturday 17th March 2018, St Patrick's Day....... until Monday 26th March.

Hope the weather improves otherwise we will be able to make very large snowmen.

Have a safe trip.

Cheers

Adrian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Demon Barber said:

Hi Mark,yes the weather can be be a real pain,but we have got good weather on order, the event runs from the Monday to Sunday and a lot of people choose to attend for the duration,there will be folk  who come earlier and stay later so don`t worry everyday is a main day!!!!!!!!!!

As for your predilection for a single malt you will be in good company,there is usually too many to choose from,so bring your fav tipple  :icon_biggrin:.

Looking forward to meeting you,

Regards

Mike

Mike,

Thanks for the update and I will decide nearer the time which days to attend - either Fri, Sat, Sun or Sat, Sun, Mon most likely. Best Regards, Mark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Mark,

Hope you can attend, Things that will help you enjoy the event.

1) Jaffa Cakes are the main currency, they get you well liked!

2) None of us are partial to malt wHiskey, we are just addicted to it!

3) Tuesday morning around 10:00am the Butcher attends the site, he has lovely meat and eggs etc.....

4) Again, on Tuesday morning around 10:30am the Fishmonger visits the site, she does very nice cod fillets, bigger than supermarket offerings, plus mixed fish chunks which can use to make a great fish pie.

5) Items 3 & 4 are a little more expensive than the supermarkets but the quality to date has been first class.

6) There is a very good butcher shop in Newton Stewart in the middle of the High Street, they do good pies and proper sausages!

7) If Mike (Demon Barber) is not too busy we have pies and mashy pies. These pies are measured using Damian's 22" scope. Quality is always maintained.

And Finally, we all have a great time and return numerous times. Usually half the nights are brilliant with clear dark skies.

Some attendees are so satisfied that we do round trips of 800 to 900 miles.

All the Best.

Adrian

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Adrian Condon said:

If Mike (Demon Barber) is not too busy we have pies and mashy pies. These pies are measured using Damian's 22" scope. Quality is always maintained.

1/ What the heck is a "mashy pie" ?

2/ Pies  are not measured using Damian's 22"scope ! They ..... Are measured using his "Dual purpose pie measuring device". Please get your facts correct. It took him years of hard graft  ?

Unfortunately the modifications are still ongoing for the measurement of "gravey viscosity". Some one is slacking methinks ! 

:evil4:

Derek

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Physopto said:

1/ What the heck is a "mashy pie" ?

2/ Pies  are not measured using Damian's 22"scope ! They ..... Are measured using his "Dual purpose pie measuring device". Please get your facts correct. It took him years of hard graft  ?

Unfortunately the modifications are still ongoing for the measurement of "gravey viscosity". Some one is slacking methinks ! 

:evil4:

Derek

Sadly the shields gazette won't be there to report (o.k. exaggerate) on the pie munching competition, but all pies will be measured to the strictest of dimensional tolerances after the calibrations have been carried out.

Beaten for three years but training hard :icon_biggrin:

 

  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bummer not going to make it still getting over the dreaded virus so don't want to risk it coming back. Even the malts don't seem  to work. Hope the nites are clear for you all.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A week to go & I'm hoping the rain holds off & dries the ground out......but still looking forward to the skies craik etc...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Julian,

Great to hear from you.

I am looking forward to the clear skies and whiskey tasting on the odd cloudy nights..

See you Saturday.

Have safe trip.

Cheers

Adrian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Starting to worry that I'm going to get ostracized..... I'm not a whiskey fan :help:

I do like pie though. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎06‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 18:31, Adrian Condon said:

Hi Mark,

Hope you can attend, Things that will help you enjoy the event.

1) Jaffa Cakes are the main currency, they get you well liked!

2) None of us are partial to malt wHiskey, we are just addicted to it!

3) Tuesday morning around 10:00am the Butcher attends the site, he has lovely meat and eggs etc.....

4) Again, on Tuesday morning around 10:30am the Fishmonger visits the site, she does very nice cod fillets, bigger than supermarket offerings, plus mixed fish chunks which can use to make a great fish pie.

5) Items 3 & 4 are a little more expensive than the supermarkets but the quality to date has been first class.

6) There is a very good butcher shop in Newton Stewart in the middle of the High Street, they do good pies and proper sausages!

7) If Mike (Demon Barber) is not too busy we have pies and mashy pies. These pies are measured using Damian's 22" scope. Quality is always maintained.

And Finally, we all have a great time and return numerous times. Usually half the nights are brilliant with clear dark skies.

Some attendees are so satisfied that we do round trips of 800 to 900 miles.

All the Best.

Adrian

Hi Adrian, 

Thanks for the intel, sounds like an interesting few days and I'm looking forward to it. Just got to decide what astro kit to bring besides the Lagavulin.

Regards,

Mark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rockystar said:

Starting to worry that I'm going to get ostracized..... I'm not a whiskey fan :help:

I do like pie though. 

We will go easy on you ?

You will however, have to fight off Damian to get at the pies. Nobody else gets a look in ?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Uplooker said:

You will however, have to fight off Damian to get at the pies. Nobody else gets a look in ?

Boy O boy ! 

Pot callin t kettle me thinks ?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Physopto said:

Boy O boy ! 

Pot callin t kettle me thinks ?

Lost for three years but I'm sure this is my year :thumbright:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Lee and Mark,

9 hours ago, Uplooker said:

We will go easy on you ?

You will however, have to fight off Damian to get at the pies. Nobody else gets a look in ?

It will be great to meet up with you.

Not being a whiskey drinker is not a sin as long as you can pour the stuff!!

It's not Damian we need to beat at the Pie Eating Competition, it's Ian he has won it too often......??????

Have a safe trip.

Adrian

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Mr Flibble said:

For everyone there on the first sunday night just have a look at the current forecast :thumbsup:

 

Its now looking good for Saturday Sunday and Monday but its going to be very cold -2 degrees

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Hope is a good one for you all. Saturday, Sunday and Monday look like the best nights at present. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well all going well and with some luck thrown in I hope to arrive on Thursday and leave on Sunday morning (all weather permitting .... dont mind the cold or  frost but pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze none of the wet stuff) , will be slumming it in the van... playing with tents and especially drying them out is not my idea of fun....looking forward to it, the last visit had great skies on the last night.(as usual..)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quick update.  Sandra and I have just been outside for a quick look at the sky using our mk1 eyeballs and she said she had never seen so many stars.

It is dry but a little windy and very cold.

A promising start so tomorrow will unpack the scope and get set up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By Demon Barber
      Hello All, i`m pleased to announce the 2019 Spring Galloway Gathering,to be held at the award winning campsite that has been our home for nine years,http://www.drumroamin.co.uk/index.htm
      The Dates of which are  Wednesday 27th February 2019------- Monday 4th March 2019
      The campsite is run by Lesley and Ralph Shell,who go over and above to make the Galloway star parties the Premier Star Camps  north of the border.
      As usual all bookings and reservations to go direct to Lesley at the campsite,any queries can be emailed to me at SGL.
      You can if you fancy a longer stay come at the weekend before, there is usually a few astronomers in attendance.
      This year is our tenth anniversary,and i will try and post dates and details at the weekend coming for the Autumn Galloway Star Camp.
      Looking forward to meeting newcomers and seasoned veterans,clear skies are on order ?
      Regards
      Mike
      Any errors are all my own. 
    • By Demon Barber
      Hello All,it falls to me to announce next years  Galloway Star Camp to be held at Drumroamin , campsite from Wednesday 10th February through to Monday the 15th February 2016 it will follow the successful format that has made it Scotland`s Premier Star Camp. 
      All bookings to be made directly with the campsite,link here:http://www.drumroamin.co.uk/ the site`s owners Lesley and Ralph Shell will make you very welcome and make the booking straightforward.
      The prices are held at this year`s ,check with Lesley any questions you may have about pricing. 
      Those of you who make the  trip north of the border will not be disappointed, the location is very good and the site itself is immaculate and dark adapted for the duration of the star camp.
      If anyone would like to make it a longer stay you can book from Mon 8th February ,unfortunately the site is closed from the previous week re-opening on the Monday.
      Please check previous SGL  Astro Events listing`s to acquaint yourselves with the comments and photo`s of Scotland's Premier Star Camp. 
      Please contact me if you have any questions
      I look forward to meeting everyone in February
      Regards
      Mike
    • By AndyExton
      Details have now been released for the 15th annual "Starfest" starcamp organised by Scarborough & Ryedale Astronomical Society. The 3 day event takes place in Adderstone Field, Dalby Forest, North Yorkshire between Friday 14th and Sunday 16th August. Astronomers from across the UK attend this event to take advantage of the dark skies in the North York Moors National Park and the forest has recently been awarded "Milky Way class" of the Dark Sky Discovery status.

      For those who have not attended Dalby previously, please note the facilities are basic! Its all about the quality of the skies.
       
      Guest speakers for the weekend will be announced in due course as they are confirmed.
      More information and a booking form can be downloaded from the Scarborough & Ryedale AS website (http://www.scarborough-ryedale-as.org.uk/saras/starfest/starfest-2015/). 
       
      The society can also be found on Facebook and Twitter.  To avoid confusion with other events using the name Starfest, we have opted for an offical hashtag for this years event of #DalbyStarfest15.
    • By Demon Barber
      Hello All,after the sucess of Galloway Autumn ,i am pleased to announce The Galloway Gathering 2015.
      The Star Camp will take place from  Thursday 19th Feb 2015---- Monday 23rd Feb and will follow the same format.
      All bookings to be arranged direct with the Campsite.See  http://www.drumroamin.co.uk/ link for details please
      A pie and pea supper has been suggested as an icebreaker,and why not?       .
      If folks want to stay longer before/after i am sure Lesley will try to accomodate you.
      Please book early as there have been so many enquiries.
      Any questions just ask away.
      Regards
      Mike.
      p.s. Autumn dates to follow.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.