SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Galloway Spring Gathering 2018

4 hours ago, hadyn42 said:

Hello Mike

Thanks for the message.  Christina and I are keeping well thanks, we hope you are keeping well and warm too?

Not heard anything from Adrian for ages, not seen any posts from him either. I tried ringing him Christmas time, but no answer. I don't even know has he signed up the GSP this month either?

Take care, hope to see you in just over two weeks time.

Best regards,

Christina and Hadyn - IOM

Hi Haydn,

I might be confused between Spring and Autumn but I thought Aidrian said he would be attending

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

I booked to attend this in Feb 2017 but storm Doris had different ideas, then the heavy rain caused the site to be closed last November so hopefully 3rd time lucky.

I need to finalise what days to attend - Please will someone confirm the main days?

Also I'm partial to a single malt so may bring a bottle along if others are interested.

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Guys

Sorry to say I had to cancel Galloway Spring Starcamp today as caravan transformer is fried, have a reconditioned unit on way but van will need a bit of creative rewiring.

Unfortunately can't make the Galloway Autumn Starcamp either due to dates coinciding with other commitments but wish everyone a great time! ;-)

I will however be at Kielder, just bringing MPV so hope to see some of you there! :-)

Mike

Hi Mark,yes the weather can be be a real pain,but we have got good weather on order, the event runs from the Monday to Sunday and a lot of people choose to attend for the duration,there will be folk  who come earlier and stay later so don`t worry everyday is a main day!!!!!!!!!!

As for your predilection for a single malt you will be in good company,there is usually too many to choose from,so bring your fav tipple  :icon_biggrin:.

Looking forward to meeting you,

Regards

Mike

Hi Mike what a bummer, you will be missed,how about selling your scope,oops not really a solution,hope you get it sorted,and for a sensible cost.

I  take it you and yours are keeping well? Keep checking for posts  Mike and with any luck there will be plenty of photo`s for you to peruse.

Hope to catch up with you later in the year.

Regards

Mike

Hi Mike

Thanks, yes all well here ...same with you I hope.

Very frustrating situation as I was really looking forward to Galloway, a repair project for the lighter nights for me then! :-(

Catch up soon as we get back on the road.

Mike

On 02/03/2018 at 20:00, Uplooker said:

Hi Haydn,

I might be confused between Spring and Autumn but I thought Aidrian said he would be attending

Ian

Hi Ian and Hadyn,

Ian is correct, the last time we were in touch I told him that I was planning on attending the Spring 2018 Star Party.

I have booked Saturday 17th March 2018, St Patrick's Day....... until Monday 26th March.

Hope the weather improves otherwise we will be able to make very large snowmen.

Have a safe trip.

Cheers

Adrian

17 hours ago, Demon Barber said:

Hi Mark,yes the weather can be be a real pain,but we have got good weather on order, the event runs from the Monday to Sunday and a lot of people choose to attend for the duration,there will be folk  who come earlier and stay later so don`t worry everyday is a main day!!!!!!!!!!

As for your predilection for a single malt you will be in good company,there is usually too many to choose from,so bring your fav tipple  :icon_biggrin:.

Looking forward to meeting you,

Regards

Mike

Mike,

Thanks for the update and I will decide nearer the time which days to attend - either Fri, Sat, Sun or Sat, Sun, Mon most likely. Best Regards, Mark

Hi Mark,

Hope you can attend, Things that will help you enjoy the event.

1) Jaffa Cakes are the main currency, they get you well liked!

2) None of us are partial to malt wHiskey, we are just addicted to it!

3) Tuesday morning around 10:00am the Butcher attends the site, he has lovely meat and eggs etc.....

4) Again, on Tuesday morning around 10:30am the Fishmonger visits the site, she does very nice cod fillets, bigger than supermarket offerings, plus mixed fish chunks which can use to make a great fish pie.

5) Items 3 & 4 are a little more expensive than the supermarkets but the quality to date has been first class.

6) There is a very good butcher shop in Newton Stewart in the middle of the High Street, they do good pies and proper sausages!

7) If Mike (Demon Barber) is not too busy we have pies and mashy pies. These pies are measured using Damian's 22" scope. Quality is always maintained.

And Finally, we all have a great time and return numerous times. Usually half the nights are brilliant with clear dark skies.

Some attendees are so satisfied that we do round trips of 800 to 900 miles.

All the Best.

Adrian

4 hours ago, Adrian Condon said:

If Mike (Demon Barber) is not too busy we have pies and mashy pies. These pies are measured using Damian's 22" scope. Quality is always maintained.

1/ What the heck is a "mashy pie" ?

2/ Pies  are not measured using Damian's 22"scope ! They ..... Are measured using his "Dual purpose pie measuring device". Please get your facts correct. It took him years of hard graft  ?

Unfortunately the modifications are still ongoing for the measurement of "gravey viscosity". Some one is slacking methinks ! 

:evil4:

Derek

10 minutes ago, Physopto said:

1/ What the heck is a "mashy pie" ?

2/ Pies  are not measured using Damian's 22"scope ! They ..... Are measured using his "Dual purpose pie measuring device". Please get your facts correct. It took him years of hard graft  ?

Unfortunately the modifications are still ongoing for the measurement of "gravey viscosity". Some one is slacking methinks ! 

:evil4:

Derek

Sadly the shields gazette won't be there to report (o.k. exaggerate) on the pie munching competition, but all pies will be measured to the strictest of dimensional tolerances after the calibrations have been carried out.

Beaten for three years but training hard :icon_biggrin:

On ‎06‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 18:31, Adrian Condon said:

Hi Mark,

Hope you can attend, Things that will help you enjoy the event.

1) Jaffa Cakes are the main currency, they get you well liked!

2) None of us are partial to malt wHiskey, we are just addicted to it!

3) Tuesday morning around 10:00am the Butcher attends the site, he has lovely meat and eggs etc.....

4) Again, on Tuesday morning around 10:30am the Fishmonger visits the site, she does very nice cod fillets, bigger than supermarket offerings, plus mixed fish chunks which can use to make a great fish pie.

5) Items 3 & 4 are a little more expensive than the supermarkets but the quality to date has been first class.

6) There is a very good butcher shop in Newton Stewart in the middle of the High Street, they do good pies and proper sausages!

7) If Mike (Demon Barber) is not too busy we have pies and mashy pies. These pies are measured using Damian's 22" scope. Quality is always maintained.

And Finally, we all have a great time and return numerous times. Usually half the nights are brilliant with clear dark skies.

Some attendees are so satisfied that we do round trips of 800 to 900 miles.

All the Best.

Adrian

Hi Adrian, 

Thanks for the intel, sounds like an interesting few days and I'm looking forward to it. Just got to decide what astro kit to bring besides the Lagavulin.

Regards,

Mark

1 hour ago, rockystar said:

Starting to worry that I'm going to get ostracized..... I'm not a whiskey fan :help:

I do like pie though. 

We will go easy on you ?

You will however, have to fight off Damian to get at the pies. Nobody else gets a look in ?

Hi Lee and Mark,

9 hours ago, Uplooker said:

We will go easy on you ?

You will however, have to fight off Damian to get at the pies. Nobody else gets a look in ?

It will be great to meet up with you.

Not being a whiskey drinker is not a sin as long as you can pour the stuff!!

It's not Damian we need to beat at the Pie Eating Competition, it's Ian he has won it too often......??????

Have a safe trip.

Adrian

11 hours ago, Mr Flibble said:

For everyone there on the first sunday night just have a look at the current forecast :thumbsup:

Its now looking good for Saturday Sunday and Monday but its going to be very cold -2 degrees

Well all going well and with some luck thrown in I hope to arrive on Thursday and leave on Sunday morning (all weather permitting .... dont mind the cold or  frost but pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze none of the wet stuff) , will be slumming it in the van... playing with tents and especially drying them out is not my idea of fun....looking forward to it, the last visit had great skies on the last night.(as usual..)

Quick update.  Sandra and I have just been outside for a quick look at the sky using our mk1 eyeballs and she said she had never seen so many stars.

It is dry but a little windy and very cold.

A promising start so tomorrow will unpack the scope and get set up.

Archived