Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Pier project **completed**

Hadron

Hello there. I've being planning a roll off roof observatory for a couple of years now but due to life getting in the way it's never happened. New additions to the family, house renovations, work and long term health issues mean that I'm getting less and less opportunity (and inclination) to drag the scope, mount etc out and get it all set up. This has got me thinking as to whether there is a quick fix that would give me a quick easy and painless way to set up without the permanence of a concreted in pier and obsy. I've come to the conclusion that the answer is a semi portable but heavy duty and seriously heavy weight pier that can free stand on the lawn. The idea is to make it adjustable height with wide adjustable feet that are in turn pinned in to the ground. The pier will be made in sections to be bolted together in situ (not ideal I know but a back injury means the only way I can do it is to split the weight a bit) and hopefully will provide me with a stable, setup that keeps polar alignment until I get the chance to construct an all singing, all dancing roll off roof jobbie :icon_biggrin: Today, after work, I had the chance to make a start on the attachment plate for the heq5. I noticed a 60mm spacer at the local agricultural dealership that I was able to adapt with the addition of an off cut of 100mm en8 bar left over from another job. The result isn't the prettiest ever but it does the job admirably and with a bit of elbow grease should become a little more aesthetically pleasing. Next step is to start on the pier itself :icon_biggrin:

IMG_1702.JPG

IMG_1705.JPG

IMG_1707.JPG

IMG_1708.JPG

Thanks, I can't wait to get set up a bit more permanently. Just being able to nip out for the odd hour or so when I happen to have time without knocking my back up should equate to a lot more Astro time :hello2: 

Today after work I had a few minutes spare to do a little more to the pier, this time to the mid section so I got the two off cuts of box welded together to make a more useable length and also to attach the bracket for the "feet". It's not a lot but progress is progress and ideally I want to get as much as possible done as I've got a hospital stay coming up next week which obviously will put the project on hold somewhat :clouds2:

Thanks for looking James :icon_biggrin:

IMG_1722.JPG

IMG_1721.JPG

IMG_1723.PNG

I used a little bit of shed time tonight to get the last bits of fabrication completed so my pier is now purely in need of a little bit of tidying up and finishing off followed by a lick of paint. As you can see it's very basic but hopefully functional as it's, with any luck, just a stop gap measure until I can get a more permanent offering concreted in and in time a roll off roof obsy to boot :icon_biggrin:

IMG_1735.JPG

IMG_1736.JPG

Wahhey.. I managed to finish my little temp pier tonight before my incarceration at the hand of the NHS starts :hello2:  I've had a trial set up in the garden and from this it seems ok (maybe a little tall but if this is a hindrance it's easily rectifiable). Obviously the proof of the pudding will be in the eating but I'm hopeful this will make a real difference to my observing and fledgling ap aspirations :icon_biggrin:

IMG_1748.JPG

IMG_1752.JPG

IMG_1754.JPG

Archived