SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

adding more images

alcol620

A simple question that I am unsure of the answer.

I took 20 of images of M31 a few weeks ago, calibrated them and integrated them into an image (say image A). If I take more images of M31, same setting, and calibrate them, can I register them and integrate these addition images directly with Image A or do I integrate them with the original 20 calibrated images?

Thanks for your help.

18 minutes ago, alcol620 said:

A simple question that I am unsure of the answer.

I took 20 of images of M31 a few weeks ago, calibrated them and integrated them into an image (say image A). If I take more images of M31, same setting, and calibrate them, can I register them and integrate these addition images directly with Image A or do I integrate them with the original 20 calibrated images?

Thanks for your help.

Stack all the images together which will make a better, less noisy image A

If you have removed the camera from the scope between sessions, and your camera is uncooled, I would suggest this procedure:

Calibrate frames A with flats and darks A, and bias

Calibrate frames B with flats and darks B, and bias

Stack frames A and B into one new image.

If you haven't removed the camera between sessions, you can reuse flats. If your camera is cooled, you can reuse darks.

Thanks folks

I have had a go at combining two sets of images using Pixinsight, I registered the images firstly against an image from the set taken last year with an Atik 383 camera on a ED80 scope and secondly against an image from a recent set taken with an ASI1600 mono camera on a TSAPO60 scope. Each registered set was integrated and the two images are shown. Obviously a significant difference in FOV of the 2 images, but it does show as you said, that images of different set ups can be registered and stacked, albeit, stacking images against the wide field registration does lead to a brighter area in the centre of the image where the extra data is intergrated

Any ideas on how you would get rid of this, I have tried a quick histogramtransformation and curves but the bright area does not blend in. Perhaps with differing field of view you can only overlay the wider field onto the smaller??

Comments welcome

pixinsight stacking images elephant.JPG

Archived