Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Light Pollution Filters

Bramisheu

Hi all

I have bought a Canon 600D and would like to get peoples opinions on Light Pollution Filters.  I have an Astronomik CLS but its for my EOS-M which i sold (waste of money as ill never use it now)i will probably sell this to at least get some £ back.  I never really tried it out so not sure what its like, however, ive been looking at the Astronomik CLS CCD as my 600D is getting modified.  But ive also seen a 2" skywatcher one for £26 that would fit in my adapter.  Are these filters, you get what you pay for? Or are they similar but different build quality?

Many Thanks

Bram

In my experience you get what you pay for. When I imaged with a modded 600d I started out with the astronomik cls ccd which worked well but the colour balance was quite abit off. Nothing that can't be fixed in processing. 

I then got an idas p2 lps filter which I still use today. It does the job very well and the colour balance isn't too bad either. 

Neither will work against the new led lights though. 

Also, as you already have the Astronomik filter you might aswell try it before you think about selling.

3 hours ago, Bramisheu said:

Hi all

I have bought a Canon 600D and would like to get peoples opinions on Light Pollution Filters.  I have an Astronomik CLS but its for my EOS-M which i sold (waste of money as ill never use it now)i will probably sell this to at least get some £ back.  I never really tried it out so not sure what its like, however, ive been looking at the Astronomik CLS CCD as my 600D is getting modified.  But ive also seen a 2" skywatcher one for £26 that would fit in my adapter.  Are these filters, you get what you pay for? Or are they similar but different build quality?

Many Thanks

Bram

WhIch OTA are you using?

have you a corrector fitted; field flattener/coma corrector ?

may help reduce options.

how bad is you sky LP?

It is a clip in filter, but the EOS-M filter is a different size to the EOS filter.

Im using a SW 130pds with nothing else fitted, my LP isn't too bad around my local area, however, for the nights im watching the kids id like to image in the back garden, which has a couple of street lights near by.

Thx

Bram

• 3 weeks later...

I could not get any decent length exposures in my garden due to the street light so I got the SW 2" £26 jobby and I pretty pleased to be honest I then went down the narrowband route but have recently got some new gear and I'm using my DLSR again and the SW LP filter. I didn't have the option of a clip filter because I'm using a Nikon.

Archived