Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Which eyepiece do you REALLY use most?

timwetherell

My most used ep is the 24mm Panoptic in native mode and also coupled with a Baader 2.25 Barlow. Absolutely fabulous and lightweight too, I now prefer to use lightweight 1.25" eyepieces rather than the heavy cumbersome 2" eyepieces.

Avtar

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've not done any analysis but if I did it would not surprise me if the 21mm and 8mm Ethos proved to be my most used eyepieces in my 12" F/5.3 dobsonian. I've spent whole sessions with just tthe 21mm Ethos in the focusser but the 8mm is a great additional tool if I want a closer look at a galaxy or if planetary nebulae and globular clusters are on the menu.

On 08/09/2017 at 08:42, timwetherell said:

Mmmm, I know just how you feel! In the South West we've haven't really had one good moonless, cloudless night all summer :( And I fear this is becoming the new "normal"

Looking back over my 1977 notebooks I was observing on 27/8/77 28/9/77 3/9/77 4/9/77 5/9/77 7/9/77 11/9/77 ... well you get the picture. 

Which part of Somerset are you in timwetherell? Where I live the skies were clear but astronomical twilight got in the way. Early August was the last time I have had any viewing worth looking at, moon apart.

On 16/09/2017 at 09:50, iPeace said:

Scope-dependent, of course.  :happy11:

That is very pertinent in respect to focal length (mostly). TV Genesis 500mm use 10 or 20, dob 1500mm use 32 or 17, C8 2000mm use 55, 35 or 20.  So of all near 20 and low 30. 

On 07/09/2017 at 08:55, timwetherell said:

Which eyepiece do you REALLY use most?

The thread seems to have drifted to "which eyepiece do you use the most in each of your scopes", which isn't the question the OP asked (with the emphasis on "REALLY").

My most used eyepiece is probably the TV Panoptic 24mm.

8 hours ago, DRT said:

The thread seems to have drifted to "which eyepiece do you use the most in each of your scopes", which isn't the question the OP asked (with the emphasis on "REALLY").

Without a doubt for me, a pair of 24mm Pans, in whichever scope I use.

10 hours ago, DRT said:

You must have very good weather in last couple of weeks, congratulations.

10 hours ago, DRT said:

It might PROBABLY  be the 24mm Pan Derek, but which one is it REALLY? ;) 

Strangely, thinking about this again, the eyepiece(s) I really use most are my pair of 25mm Zeiss 'orthos' combined with an AP Barcon and various extension tubes in the Herschel Wedge/Tak. This gives me roughly between x100 and x200 with nice eye relief and razor sharp views.

Last night I used lots of different eyepieces with my 12" dob. Everything from the 21mm Ethos to the 2mm setting (:shocked:) of my 2-4mm Nagler zoom. The reason was that I was observing a very wide range of object types that evening from the 3+ degree wide Veil Nebula to Neptunes tiny moon.

With the recent weather here, I'd think myself lucky to be able to use any eyepiece at all! But with a fabulous clear night last Thursday it was once again the 31 Nagler. Though my stats on this are all based on my deep sky observations, planets are a very different story. But since the Aussies have kidnapped Jupiter and Saturn, deep sky is what's on the menu for a while :)

Archived