Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help needed with W10 Remote Desktop

Skipper Billy

I am toying with the idea of having a remote PC in the obsy controlled by a pc in the house.

Not decided yet whether to use the existing CAT6 cable that runs from obsy to house or to do it wirelessly.

I am having a play with two options - Teamviewer and Windows Remote Desktop Protocol

Teamviewer works but I cannot for the life of me get RDP to work.

I have entered the IP address of the computer I want to control but every time my 'credentials' fail - I am not clear on whether its my log in details for the master pc or the log in details for the slave pc - I am sure I have tried every combination but a box flashes up to fast to read then it tells me my credentials have failed.

Any ideas ?? Might I need to do something to the router ??

I believe RDP is superior to Teamviewer plus I dont like being beaten !!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is your W10 PC pro?  It needs to be pro for RDP to work.

To add to this, you will need to open the RDP port on your router (3389 or 3390 IIRC) and forward it to the host PC.  I would suggest making the host a fixed IP outside the DHCP range so it doesn't change.

Final edit.  As you already have CAT6, that wins hands down every time over wifi for RDP.

25 minutes ago, Skipper Billy said:

I am toying with the idea of having a remote PC in the obsy controlled by a pc in the house.

Not decided yet whether to use the existing CAT6 cable that runs from obsy to house or to do it wirelessly.

I am having a play with two options - Teamviewer and Windows Remote Desktop Protocol

Teamviewer works but I cannot for the life of me get RDP to work.

I have entered the IP address of the computer I want to control but every time my 'credentials' fail - I am not clear on whether its my log in details for the master pc or the log in details for the slave pc - I am sure I have tried every combination but a box flashes up to fast to read then it tells me my credentials have failed.

Any ideas ?? Might I need to do something to the router ??

I believe RDP is superior to Teamviewer plus I dont like being beaten !!

Can you run a viideo capture of screen? ;)

i’ll go Kill one of my remote machines and grab some images of what to expect.

30 minutes ago, RayD said:

Is your W10 PC pro?  It needs to be pro for RDP to work.

To add to this, you will need to open the RDP port on your router (3389 or 3390 IIRC) and forward it to the host PC.  I would suggest making the host a fixed IP outside the DHCP range so it doesn't change.

Final edit.  As you already have CAT6, that wins hands down every time over wifi for RDP.

Yes - both machines are running W10 pro.

I have had a look in the router via its IP and its a BT homehub - in port forwarding it gives a list of programmes and I ahve chosen Windows Remote desktop and my master PC but there is no option to choose which port to forward to ??

Both machines talk nicely to the router ie they receive internet and can both stream to the TV.

2 minutes ago, Frank the Troll said:

Try Radmin, its simple, and well used among IT support peeps, myself included

Thanks I will look into it - the attractive option with RDP is that I believe it supports multiple screens (which I use in the house) - Teamviewer doesnt seem to support that - does Radmin ?? Its a deal breaker for me as I have PHD2 on one screen and everything else on the other.

Just now, Skipper Billy said:

Yes - both machines are running W10 pro.

I have had a look in the router via its IP and its a BT homehub - in port forwarding it gives a list of programmes and I ahve chosen Windows Remote desktop and my master PC but there is no option to choose which port to forward to ??

Both machines talk nicely to the router ie they receive internet and can both stream to the TV.

Ok having Pro is good.  The Client is free and available on all machines, including Mac and iPad etc. but the server machine has to be Pro.

You need to make sure the server machine (in the obsy) is open to remote access.  I'll log on to mine and take few screen shots of the server machine.

I would definitely set the server as a fixed IP, say 192.168.1.151 (or something outside the DHCP range of your router), and then forward port 3389 to this IP address.

6 minutes ago, RayD said:

I would definitely set the server as a fixed IP, say 192.168.1.151 (or something outside the DHCP range of your router), and then forward port 3389 to this IP address.

Thats the bit I am struggling with - I am out of my depth at that point onwards!

Hi,  

if both your pc's are connected to the same router then you don't have connectivity problems. This is how my study and obs pc's work. Since you say that it is rejecting your credentials then rdp must have connected. Have you set the obs pc to allow remote desktop connections? 

Goto settings/remote desktop and select "enable remote desktop" = on (on the obs pc)

Click on "select users that can remotely access this pc"

Enter the name  of the objs computer user that you want to allow. Usually that is the one you normally log in with. Administrators are always allowed. Non-admins have to be given permission.

that should do it.

Make sure you connect to the objs computer with this user.

regards

7 minutes ago, richardejm said:

Hi,  

if both your pc's are connected to the same router then you don't have connectivity problems. This is how my study and obs pc's work. Since you say that it is rejecting your credentials then rdp must have connected. Have you set the obs pc to allow remote desktop connections? 

Goto settings/remote desktop and select "enable remote desktop" = on (on the obs pc)

Click on "select users that can remotely access this pc"

Enter the name  of the objs computer user that you want to allow. Usually that is the one you normally log in with. Administrators are always allowed. Non-admins have to be given permission.

that should do it.

Make sure you connect to the objs computer with this user.

Thanks Richard

The obs pc is set to allow remote connections

I think the problem is selecting users - when I try to add a user on the slave machine the only location showing is the slave machine and it wont accept the name of the master machine.

Should I be doing this on the master machine ??

Thanks in advance

Nope - you are configuring the rdp server on the obs machine which will only allow in users that it knows about. When you connect, you enter the  name and pw of a user on the objs computer. Windows on the objs machine then authenticates it - because it knows its own users but not anyone elses. If it recognises the incoming user as one of its own and that user is allowed to connect then it works.

If you think about it, that's the way it has to be otherwise any tom dick and harry could connect from anywhere!

Billy,

Your username and password that you enter in to the RDP window in the house PC, needs to be the name and password that you are using at the Obs PC.

If as you say above that the Obs PC has been configured to allow RDP (and you can confirm that by also looking in the Advanced settings of Windows firewall (RDP Ports enabled) then you should be good to go.

Rgds, Chris  

59 minutes ago, Skipper Billy said:

I have had a dig around in the advances setting of the router and found this csreen - this is scary stuff!

Any ideas what to type in the boxes ?? 

screen.jpg

No need to do anything there - unless you want to access your computers when away from the house.

4 minutes ago, Skipper Billy said:

OK - I will try that - so I enter the user name and password I used to log on to the obsy pc into the credentials box on the house pc ?

Let me take a couple of hours tomorrow to put some thing together.

what pc / swill be at the observatory

what device/os will you be using to control things in the house

Do you expect to be controlling any thing from a hotel, or from your phone or something?

Archived