Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SGPro Autofocus help needed

Lee_P

Hi all,

I'm trying to run through the AutoFocus set-up guide in the SGP User Manual (http://mainsequencesoftware.com/content/Sequence Generator Pro.pdf). I'm down to the bottom of page 131. I can use the fine and coarse buttons to control the focus, but the message "Hitec DC Focus -- Error communicating with device" keeps popping up. The current position number for Focus Control doesn't change.

Any ideas how to fix this..? As the number isn't changing, I can't perform the next step.

Thanks!

- Lee

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, Lee_P said:

Hi all,

I'm trying to run through the AutoFocus set-up guide in the SGP User Manual (http://mainsequencesoftware.com/content/Sequence Generator Pro.pdf). I'm down to the bottom of page 131. I can use the fine and coarse buttons to control the focus, but the message "Hitec DC Focus -- Error communicating with device" keeps popping up. The current position number for Focus Control doesn't change.

Any ideas how to fix this..? As the number isn't changing, I can't perform the next step.

Thanks!

- Lee

SGP use the hitec dc focus program for it work . so I start with do it light up in Sgp. i use this unit in SGP so I  get there in the end .are you useing the right drivers from EQMOD

Hi Lee.

I've had problems in the past with using the HitecDC unit with communication errors and the software hanging. In the end I decided to replace the 'standard' usb cable with a higher quality one containing ferrite cores at both ends. Since making this change I've not had any communication errors at all between the PC (Intel NUC) and the Hitec control unit. HTH.

Adrian

FullSizeRender 14.jpg

Thanks for the replies. I've just tried it again (albeit during the day) and this time the Focus Control number did change. Maybe the system just needed a reboot. I've got the latest drivers, so if it hangs again I reckon I'll try a new cable.

Thanks again!

- Lee

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I think I've got autofocus working now... The User Guide says I should be sure to save the settings to my profile. I'm sure I'm being dumb, but I can't see which button to click to make that happen. Can anyone advise?

50 minutes ago, Lee_P said:

Thanks! Another quick question, if I may... I've checked the box to "autofocus on filter change", but it doesn't seem to actually be doing that. Any idea what I've missed?

It will when the filter change is part of a sequence.  It won't if you're just changing a filter.

That's very odd then.  Those settings look about right, although if you are focusing with each filter, I believe SGP needs to have the filer integration populated under the "for filters" button.  If you haven't done this it won't know how long to expose for each filter.  You can go with 6-8 seconds or so for each of the LRGB ones, and perhaps 15 seconds or so if you have NB.

That's how I had it set up, actually. Maybe I just need to try it again on the next clear night. My pattern for SGP is bang my head against it for a night in frustration, then find it seems to work properly next time!

Filter setup.JPG

1 minute ago, Lee_P said:

That's how I had it set up, actually. Maybe I just need to try it again on the next clear night. My pattern for SGP is bang my head against it for a night in frustration, then find it seems to work properly next time!

Filter setup.JPG

Yes it came seem a little like that sometimes, but with the settings you have there, if you start a sequence it won't focus until you move to the next filter.  If you tick auto focus before sequence start, it will do a focus on all filters. I tend to do it the way you have it as I focus manually and then auto-focus on the first filter anyway, so don't need to do it again.

Give it another try, when it does work it really is excellent.  Watching the automated meridian flip always amazes me.  Brilliant.

26 minutes ago, Lee_P said:

I dream of that day! Currently I'm plucking up the courage to investigate Plate Solving. Can you advise on whether PinPoint or PlateSolve2 works best? 

Plate solving is actually very easy indeed once you have your head around it.  I was daunted when I first did it, but once you understand how it works, you use it naturally, and another good thing about SGP is it makes plate solving very easy.

I personally use PinPoint and find it great, but I know many use PlateSolve2 and report that it works great also.  I believe PlateSolve2 is free, which PinPoint isn't, so that is a very big selling factor for it, so I would say try that as it's free and see how you get on.

10 minutes ago, RayD said:

Plate solving is actually very easy indeed once you have your head around it. 

It's the getting my head around it that I'm worried about..! Thanks for the tip, I'll try PlateSolve2 first.

3 minutes ago, Lee_P said:

It's the getting my head around it that I'm worried about..!

Don't be honestly. It sounds far more complicated than it actually is, and the menus and sub-menus (right click) options in SGP make it a doddle.

I think most people have issues with actually downloading and installing the catalogues, and that can be a bit tedious, but you only need to do it once, and then you're off. 

9 hours ago, Lee_P said:

Another clear night, more SGP issues! I'm still struggling with AutoFocus. It doesn't seem to be getting the stars sharp enough. The graph below doesn't look right, does it..?

AutoFocus.JPG

That looks like your step size is too small.  How did you come about your 30 steps and 9 points?  Is it default?  There is a section in the manual which shows you how to come to what size they should be, but that aside don't be afraid to try high figures.

By way of example, on my TS80 with a Pegasus focuser I run at 100 steps with 9 points, but on my Esprit with a Lakeside I run at 30 steps with 7 points.

Looking at that graph you could try 100 and work from there, but that's what it looks like.

As has been suggested the step size could be incorrect.

Looking at the graph there doesn't seem to be much change in HFR at all. Are you sure that you start the focusing routine from an already pretty good focus position? The SGP routine requires that you are already pretty near the focus otherwise it will fail. It will go past your current focus position and work its way backwards to the best focus point and beyond to (hopefully) produce a nice V curve. If the initial focus position is too far in or out it will never reach it. Have you set a focus point for this filter in the filter dialog?

Well I've figured out what the issue is: the focusser isn't working! Even though it says it's connected, the motor doesn't seem to move. This is also the case if I press the physical buttons on the Hitec unit.

The handset that comes with the motor doesn't spark it into life, either.

Any ideas what I should try to fix this?

Update: I took the focus motor off and then reattached it. Now it works again! Maybe something had worked itself loose. Hopefully this info will be of use if anyone else comes across this problem.

• 1 year later...
On 20/09/2017 at 07:55, RayD said:

but on my Esprit with a Lakeside I run at 30 steps with 7 points.

Very useful info. I also have an Esprit (80ED) and a Lakeside. I've just started using SGP with auto-focus and it was working great....

....Until last night, when I lost all my subs after the flip. I think SGP did the plate solving in Lum and then failed to find the V bottom for OIII straight after. Of course, once lost, the autofocus routine is destined to perpetual failure until manual intervention ;)

I was only using 9 points of 10 steps. I'll try 7 or 9 steps of 30 tonight. I save the focuser position in the filename of the sub so I can check the difference between Lum and the (previously) good OIII when I get home from work. :)

Out of interest, what have you got the backlash set to? 200 works for me, although I suspect 100 would still be adequate. 

59 minutes ago, Pompey Monkey said:

Very useful info. I also have an Esprit (80ED) and a Lakeside. I've just started using SGP with auto-focus and it was working great....

....Until last night, when I lost all my subs after the flip. I think SGP did the plate solving in Lum and then failed to find the V bottom for OIII straight after. Of course, once lost, the autofocus routine is destined to perpetual failure until manual intervention ;)

I was only using 9 points of 10 steps. I'll try 7 or 9 steps of 30 tonight. I save the focuser position in the filename of the sub so I can check the difference between Lum and the (previously) good OIII when I get home from work. :)

Out of interest, what have you got the backlash set to? 200 works for me, although I suspect 100 would still be adequate. 

That's odd.  Do you pause your guiding during the flip as that can cause issues here?  Also I suppose if your NB filter is a totally different type to you Lum, then this also could be a problem.  In the latter case I suspect you would need to work out and apply your filter offsets so you focus in LUM and SGP then just applies the correct offset for the imaging filter.  It takes a while to set up but can help in these instances.

I can't remember exactly but I think it is only about 40 or 50 odd steps.  The backlash on the Lakeside I've found to be pretty low, but it won't do any harm to go bigger, so long as you can confirm it is taking out the play.  I did mine with a long cable tie around the focus knob so I could see it moving easily, and then added some.

1 hour ago, RayD said:

That's odd.  Do you pause your guiding during the flip as that can cause issues here?  Also I suppose if your NB filter is a totally different type to you Lum, then this also could be a problem.  In the latter case I suspect you would need to work out and apply your filter offsets so you focus in LUM and SGP then just applies the correct offset for the imaging filter.  It takes a while to set up but can help in these instances.

I can't remember exactly but I think it is only about 40 or 50 odd steps.  The backlash on the Lakeside I've found to be pretty low, but it won't do any harm to go bigger, so long as you can confirm it is taking out the play.  I did mine with a long cable tie around the focus knob so I could see it moving easily, and then added some.

I've just run a sequence of auto-focusing: the entire spread of solutions was 28 steps for all my filters (LRGB Baader, Ha, OIII and SII, 3 nm Chromas).

It seems that if the run starts too close to the bottom of the curve, i.e. what would give the classic "hockey stick" profile, then the data fitting algorithm that the software uses doe not recognise the "V".

It then does its best to please and moves the focuser out in order to find the correct profile. Unfortunately, it goes too far, with insufficient overlap of the previous sequence to relocate the inflexion point on the curve. It then tries another move out before retrying and after that there is, of course, no hope of recovery.

Longer exposures and finding just the right step size (12) seems to help, but one swallow etc....

I think I'll message the devs to request widening the the search range rather than just shifting it to the right.

Sure, it might take longer to auto focus that way, but at least it won't shouldn't bomb out! :)

Archived