Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_celestial_motion.thumb.jpg.a9e9349c45f96ed7928eb32f1baf76ed.jpg

steve_bham

New mount required a new case!

So I've just upgraded my mount from the Nexstar SLT to the Skywatcher discovery mount and was hoping it would have fitted in my existing case set up.

As I have to always travel to get to an observing site I didn't want to carry multiple cases etc so managed to get it down to a tripod, case and small rucksack.

my existing case holds the mount, telescope, 7 eyepieces, diagonal, 4 filters, Rigel quick finder, hand controller, vibration pads, compass, red torch, planisphere, cleaning cloth, blower and a star atlas! 

Unfortunately the discovery mount is a bit deeper and the case won't close ?

Didnt really want to buy a new case but decided to go for the Geoptik Elephant Hermetic Waterproof Case For 8" SCT Tubes.

ill post some pics once I've swapped it all over!

IMG_1473.JPG

Edited by steve_bham
Spelling
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Alan White said:

How about a post of the new case as a before and after?

Yes no problem it's being delivered Saturday so I show it before I butcher it! and an after shot with it populated with my equipment.

its slightly larger so should have a tiny bit more space for bits and bobs.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Alan White said:

What do you think of your 127 Mak?
Is it your only scope?

I love it, for me it's an ideal scope to be able to transport always get pin sharpe images. It does have a few limitations i.e you won't get wide field views, but to solve that I'm going to get a 120mm short tube refractor. (I did have one before but sold it when I wasn't doing any astronomy!). But I would always keep the Mak 

Think I'll be keeping an eye on this thread! I've just got a mak 127 to go along with my ST102. I got a cheap but sturdy tool box that fits the ST and polystyrene packing blocks in perfectly. However the mak doesn't have a safe home yet. Poor little mak is feeling left out and needs a safe place soon. You've given me inspiration to maybe invest in a larger case that both scopes could potentially fit in!

Btw - what model/size is your current case?

Edited by davyludo

5 hours ago, davyludo said:

Think I'll be keeping an eye on this thread! I've just got a mak 127 to go along with my ST102. I got a cheap but sturdy tool box that fits the ST and polystyrene packing blocks in perfectly. However the mak doesn't have a safe home yet. Poor little mak is feeling left out and needs a safe place soon. You've given me inspiration to maybe invest in a larger case that both scopes could potentially fit in!

Btw - what model/size is your current case?

It's a vanguard case the outside sizes are 600x390x210mm

• Like 1

Had the Geoptik case delivered today really nice case! Says it's a hermetic case and not to heavy.

below are some pictures before I started to butcher it:

IMG_1491.JPG

IMG_1490.JPG

• Like 1

And the after shot with all the cutouts removed to fit my gear:

IMG_1493.JPG

Edited by steve_bham
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

Nothing like playing with a new case :icon_biggrin:

Alan

Just need to work out the best way to glue the foam together as they are three sections deep

Edited by steve_bham

4 minutes ago, steve_bham said:

Just need to work out the best way to glue the foam together as they are three sections deep

I used to line some cases with sticky backed green felt or spare flocking material but these were not of the foam variety so not sure how well it would stick.

Alan

• Like 1

17 hours ago, steve_bham said:

UHU POR glue tends to be safe on foam (NOT the regular UHU) we use it on polystyrene RC planes and i fully agree on your previous comment, the 127 Maksutov is a cracking scope

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nightfisher said:

UHU POR glue tends to be safe on foam (NOT the regular UHU) we use it on polystyrene RC planes and i fully agree on your previous comment, the 127 Maksutov is a cracking scope

Thanks for info on glue, just googled it and looks perfect, I'll get some and give it a try.