Narrowband

Choosing between the larger LightQuests: 16x70 upwards

Chinapig

Hi folks

I've had a pair of Helios Apollo 15x70s for a while, and still enjoy them a lot.  Learnt more about what's where in the sky through the Apollos that I've ever done through a scope.  I'm getting older, with a slightly dodgy back, which has just resulted in the sale of my dream telescope mount (AZ-EQ6).  So recently I've been taking out a binocular for observing far more often than I have a scope.  Which brings me to the quandary: I'd like a bit "more" than the Apollos offer my eyesight, particularly eye relief and "eye comfort".  I wear specs, and suffer from a fair bit of astigmatism, and find I have to keep the specs on to get a sharp image.

Earlier this year, I bought a pair of APM ED 10x50s, for a long once-in-a-lifetime trip to Oz and NZ.  They didn't disappoint at all.  Sharp image, across almost the entire field of view, and my eyes love them.  So having spoilt myself a tad with that view, I'm now looking at doing the same but in a 16x70 format, or maybe a bit larger again, such as 16x80.  I notice that the lower powered version of the new LightQuest "x80" model - the 16x80 - is no heavier than my Apollo 15x70s, and apparently offers decent eye relief, while the LightQuest 16x70 is approx half a kilo lighter than my Apollos.  There is a temptation to go bigger still, up to the LightQuest 20x100, but then weight and mounting method probably all start to get a bit too much.

If you're still reading this ramble, and have any comments on the choice betwen the LightQuest 16x70, 20x80, or even 20x100, I'd appreciate your input, even if it's only to help clarify my own thinking!

I've read Steve Tonkin's excellent reviews of these binoculars (many thanks!), and they have certainly fuelled my interest in going this route.  And yes, I have considered spending more on ED glass in a larger format, but I'm not sure the extra budget would really be worth it.

Thanks for reading!

Cheers all

Simon

1 hour ago, Chinapig said:

And yes, I have considered spending more on ED glass in a larger format, but I'm not sure the extra budget would really be worth it.

If my memory serves me well (no guarantee!) @Damo636 upgraded from his Lunt Magnesium 16x70 to the APM ED version. He may be able to advise.

I wear specs and with some binoculars I can't get the full field of view with the specs on. There's an easy solution to this, which is to file down some spare specs lenses and insert them into the binocular eyecups. I've done this on several bins and it works like a charm.

On 05/09/2017 at 17:19, Merlin said:

I wear specs and with some binoculars I can't get the full field of view with the specs on. There's an easy solution to this, which is to file down some spare specs lenses and insert them into the binocular eyecups. I've done this on several bins and it works like a charm.

That's a very neat idea - thanks for the tip!

Archived