sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

Skywatcher Discovery Tubular Steel tripod

I bought this recently as a likely platform for a grab and go setup. It came from Astroboot as an as new, opened box item from a Discovery Telescope setup.

However, my plans have changed so I don't need it now. It's in pretty much as new condition and is a nice solid tripod. It's a bit smaller than the EQ5 tripod (which is why I originally bought it), but its nicely made with top leg sections approx 1.25" diameter, and bottom  a ones approx 1" diameter.

The steel plate on the top is intended for the Discovery goto mount head, so to use it with another head such as an EQ5 you would need to source a suitable bolt. It comes with the original central securing bolt and accessory tray (all metal, no plastic). The legs extend and all in all it's a nice little tripod, ideal for a 70-80mm refractor or shorter 100mm too I think (the link here shows it with a 6" reflector on top). http://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/review/telescopes/sky-watcher-star-discovery-150p-go-reflector

I have the original box for shipping and am taking a loss as it cost me £18 odd to ship it over from Astroboot EU!

Price £45 to include UK shipping.

First refusal to SGL members before listing elsewhere:icon_biggrin:

Thanks for looking

Dave

Astroboot Discovery tripod.jpg

Edited by F15Rules
Photo added

F15 rules, could you post a photo of the current connection to a telescope please?  I've come to the conclusion that my camera tripod doesn't hold my baby frac rigidly enough and have been keeping an eye out for a suitable replacement - the telescope attaches via a standard DSLR camera screw - could that be deployed on your tripod?

Hi JOC,

I'll post you a picture when I get home from work.

There are actually 3 securing threads for the goto discovery mount, but the central bolt hole for the accessory tray securing bolt is threaded, not sure which thread it is, I'll try to measure it for you.

regards

Dave

2 minutes ago, davyludo said:

Hmmmm.... I wonder if this would be a suitable replacement for the tripod that comes with the AZ5/ AZ GTi....

I'm not sure it would Davy, at least not without another bolt, see my first reply to JOC who was first to contact me, I'll post close up pictures later :icon_biggrin:

Dave

Thanks - the little frac. has the female screw fitting, so what I'm looking for is a tripod with a male screw that attaches to the female thread on the OTA.  It is exactly the same thread as on a standard camera base.  Looking at your picture above I assume those aren't three upwardly pointing screws, but are instead three mounting base points.  In which case I doubt it would do the trick - please advise.   If a standard female screw thread camera will attach then I think it would work otherwise I shall have to pass.

Apparently the thread on a camera is 1/4-20 UNC (Unified Inch screw thread, Course pitch.),  and by all accounts it is possible to buy a male to male converter - so if there is a centre thread size this might be interesting.

Hi Joc, (and Davy:-))

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. See photos below with close ups of the tripod top withthe three bolts (which you could remove) and the central hole, which is threaded..

As it is currently though, the accessory tray bolt just threads up into the metal tripod top but doesn't go any further (the threaded section doesn't allow it to thread right through, as it's not long enough. That's clearly because the original goto mount would fix to the tripod via the 3 bolts shown.

The threaded bolt measures 12mm on my calipers, see photos... that's measuring the outside of the thread, not including the threaded recess depth, if you see what I mean.

I hope that's of some use in helping you decide. 

I think you could also remove the stock metal tripod top and replace it with another one, perhaps from an Eq2 or 3 mount?

All the best

Dave

IMG_20170904_195201868.jpg

IMG_20170904_170741720.jpg

IMG_20170904_195312622.jpg

IMG_20170904_170738216.jpg

IMG_20170904_170646645.jpg

IMG_20170904_170631800_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170904_170637332.jpg

Hi Dave

Many thanks for all the extra info.  I think the thread sizes will be incompatible so I'll pass, but hopefully the information will help any other prospective purchaser make up their minds.

Hi, I have the star discovery tripod as well and I am also trying to figure out any possible connection to 3/8 thread.Is it an m12 bolt and some kind of adapter I need then?From your photos seems that it is 12mm.

It is indeed a nice solid tripod and not that heavy.

8 hours ago, Paanur said:

Hi, I have the star discovery tripod as well and I am also trying to figure out any possible connection to 3/8 thread.Is it an m12 bolt and some kind of adapter I need then?From your photos seems that it is 12mm.

It is indeed a nice solid tripod and not that heavy.

I would imagine if you got a 3/8 bolt and a couple of large diameter washers, then you could just take the M12 out and put new bolt in. Yes the bolt would be smaller than the hole, but once screwed into whatever head you're using, it would probably be fine. 

Dave, unfortunately I've spent a fortune on telescope bits over the last month or 2 and I just can't justify spending more money at the moment. We're about to move flat, so I fear if I rock up with another new item... I may be looking for a flat of my own! :tongue2:

@JOC the simple way to convert this into a 1/4" or 3/8" thread is by buying one of these... https://www.berlebach.de/?bereich=details&id=123&sprache=english with the EQ6 M12 fitting and the top thread of your choice...

Put a short stub of M12 threaded rod into the thread on the tripod and screw the adapter onto that. That creates a level base with either a 1/4" or 3/8" photo thread for you to mount the telescope, mount or camera on...

• Like 1

That's nice although it costs a bit.But I imagine an az5 pillar on it and I think it would make a nice tall setup for a refractor(why in the world bundle az5 with a light photo tripod!).I am not sure about the vibrations though at 1.7m height or even more!I guess I have to find out trying it.

On 05/09/2017 at 16:32, Stargazer McCabe said:

@JOC the simple way to convert this into a 1/4" or 3/8" thread is by buying one of these... https://www.berlebach.de/?bereich=details&id=123&sprache=english with the EQ6 M12 fitting and the top thread of your choice...

Put a short stub of M12 threaded rod into the thread on the tripod and screw the adapter onto that. That creates a level base with either a 1/4" or 3/8" photo thread for you to mount the telescope, mount or camera on...

On 05/09/2017 at 17:28, Paanur said:

That's nice although it costs a bit.But I imagine an az5 pillar on it and I think it would make a nice tall setup for a refractor(why in the world bundle az5 with a light photo tripod!).I am not sure about the vibrations though at 1.7m height or even more!I guess I have to find out trying it.

One of these would be a cheaper way of converting this tripod to fit a 3/8ths thread: https://www.berlebach.de/?bereich=details&id=518&sprache=english

I posted a link to this a couple of weeks ago in FLO's AZ GTi  thread and I think they are planning to stock these bolts.