SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Stanton Stone Circle at night

I like the idea of the juxtaposition of the ancient with the even more ancient.  The Nine Ladies stone circle on Stanton more is one of many bronze age relics in the Peak District.  Quite apart from cloud it is quite difficult to photograph even at night because of assorted New Agers who like to use the site to absorb the energy of the lay lines and commune with their inner selves.  It is quite a spooky site in the middle of the night.

I was surprised by the intensity of the light pollution, the sky was mag 4-5 which limited the Milky Way a good deal.  I used a CLS clip filter for many but ditched all these because too much colour was lost when removing the cast.  I wonder if anyone has successful experience using LP filters for landscape night time photography?

Stanton Stone Circle.jpg

Stanton Stone Circle-5.jpg

Stanton Stone Circle-6.jpg

Stanton Stone Circle-12.jpg

I love the pictures - quite a spooky spot...

I gave up using light pollution filters on my wide field images - by the time I'd processed out the consequences I realised it was taking more time than trying to reduce the LP a little through processing..

James

It rather appears the stones reach up and meet the Milky Way - or the Milky Way appears to reach down to the stones.

We have similar stone-structures over here - not far from my location. Me thinks I've just found an interesting study to conduct.

Thanks for the inspiring images!

Dave

On 9/5/2017 at 12:58, michaelmorris said:

Have you tried the Hutech IDAS range of light pollution filters? Expensive, but they produce far less colour cast than the CLS filters.

Michael, I remember you telling me about the existance of an IDAS DSLR filter.  I use one for deep sky but will check out the IDAS for this sort of work

13 hours ago, Daniel-K said:

i don't use LP filters on my wide field Astro shots i find I'm able to get rid of the LP with adjusting the WB in camera before i start shooting. Normally about 4000K  then tweak the rest in LR like this..

IMG-20170905-WA0001.jpg

Daniel, do you find that adjusting in camera is better than processing afterwards?  How does the camera do a better job than using something like LR?  Looking at the above picutures, your first image has far more contrast than I was able to achieve.  Do you know the magnitude of the sky for this shot?

Archived