Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Reducing power consumption with mobile imaging rig

Hello

I image remotely away from light pollution and unfortunately a 240v power supply, So my power consumption is quite high if im out all night imaging. I need to power a netbook, atik camera, mount and 2 dew heaters. I use a leisure battery for everything but the mount but even after afew hours sometimes I have camera issues due to a voltage drop. Are there any small individual batteries I could use to power the dew heaters by themselves separately as they prob draw the most power? as this would lighten the load on my main battery?  

Really the only option is another battery. However it may be an idea to leave the present main one for the dew heaters and then you might be able to use a smaller one for the remainder. All depends on the loading on each half, but I guess the bigger battery needs to be on the dew heaters.

Do you need 2 dew heaters all the time. Could one be turned off after say 30 minutes?

This sounds like one of those times where a set up like a camper van is needed where the leisure battery get charged from the vehical and is available as required, needs a charging circuit fitted then the leisure battery fitted in the vehical - boot/trunk of a car.

You might need to manage your power more efficiently, which means not having the netbook on constant charge (as that will be the biggest constant draw). Unplug it from the battery, so it runs on its own battery - and then only plug it in once it reaches about 10% power. If your netbook battery is in good condition you should be able to get 2 hours chunks out of it between recharges.

May be better to get a less power hungry laptop, as Rob said it's the main user of power.

I bought a 13" netbook with SSD which can run all night on it's own battery with the screen off once up and running.

Dave

8 hours ago, Davey-T said:

May be better to get a less power hungry laptop, as Rob said it's the main user of power.

I bought a 13" netbook with SSD which can run all night on it's own battery with the screen off once up and running.

Dave

That is what I did. My netbook will run for a good 6 hours before needing to be recharged...if you keep it covered in cold weather it will last just about as long. I use an externally powered USB hub so the netbook itself isn't supplying any power via the USB ports to any of the attached devices.

Also check what power requirements you really need to keep dew at bay, it is difficult to get right but I get the impression that a lot of people run their OTAs too hot but I could be wrong.

I'd also do as suggested, run the camera off it's own battery (the better one) so that it will keep the imaging running longer...you may be able to get more time under the stars even if your dew heaters aren't working optimally, not so with the camera.

Thanks for the reply's and suggestions guys, I do own a campervan with a leisure battery but I don't want to run this down as it supply's other items in the van.

the battery is kind of tucked away inside a cupboard and not easily accessable, but I could potentially put clip on supply leads to the terminals and run them out the door of the van to supply the camera or netbook etc.  What about using a couple of these for the dew heaters should last all night?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rechargeable-Li-ion-Battery-6800mAh-Charger/dp/B00BWW9WRM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1504558142&sr=8-2&keywords=12v+lithium+ion+battery

Archived