SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Synscan App - function list ?

MikeODay

Does anyone have a link to a user manual for the new Synscan App?

I currently use the hand controller to set up my scope and then use SkySafari to control it via a SkyFi module.  If I can replace the hand controller with the new wifi module and App then I can setup and control the mount while sitting inside my roll-away shed.  Before I order the new Skywatcher wifi module, I want to find out to what extent the app is a full implementation/emulation of the hand controller.  

In particular, from the screen shots and the greyed out buttons on the app, I cannot tell if it is missing any of the functions I use on the hand controller.  Some of the important ones I need are:

- Park to custom position
- Auto Home ( including calibration )
- Pointing Accuracy Enhancement
- Periodic Error Correction

Does anyone with the App know if it is a full implementation of the hand controller?

Cheers

Mike

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 05/09/2017 at 18:30, happy-kat said:

That's a nice bit of kit that's not available here. I bet that would work with my Virtuoso mount too. 

On 05/09/2017 at 20:35, nightfisher said:

Interesting, may be a word with @FLO to see if it is coming our way

I imagine it will get there eventually - I can't see why it would only come down here .,..

13 hours ago, happy-kat said:

The app is free to install to take a look at it might help a little.

@Stu perhaps you might be able to help here I think you've just bought the az gti that uses the app and might be familiar with an syscan handset?

Yes thanks for that, I downloaded the app but because it is not connected to the scope/wifi module the buttons are greyed-out so I can not see what options they bring up.

On 04/09/2017 at 01:35, mike005 said:

In particular, from the screen shots and the greyed out buttons on the app, I cannot tell if it is missing any of the functions I use on the hand controller.  Some of the important ones I need are:

- Park to custom position
- Auto Home ( including calibration )
- Pointing Accuracy Enhancement
- Periodic Error Correction

From what I have seen so far Mike, it is not a full implementation. I have not found the options above for instance, and I find the database quite limited too.

Generally it functions very well for what I suspect is the intended purpose or grab and go quick setup with the AZGTi rather than a fully functioning system.

21 minutes ago, Stu said:

From what I have seen so far Mike, it is not a full implementation. I have not found the options above for instance, and I find the database quite limited too.

Generally it functions very well for what I suspect is the intended purpose or grab and go quick setup with the AZGTi rather than a fully functioning system.

Thanks Stu.  I think I'll wait then and see if they enhance it in the future.

Cheers

Mike

You can test without a Telescope connected as following by enabling the Telescope Emulator:

Step 1:
Tap “Setting” in SynScan App’s home screen.
Scroll to the bottom of the “Setting” screen.
Tap the blank area just above “Help” for 10 times.
Tap the “Hide Panel” button to show the extra lines.
Tap the “Connect Settings”
Tap “Emulator” to activate embedded telescope emulator.
Tap “UDP” to disable telescope emulator and return to operate real telescope.

Step 2:
Return to SynScan App’s home screen.
Tap the “Connect” button on the top of the screen, then choose “AZ mode” or “EQ Mode”
Now you can experience SynScan App without a real telescope. 

I odered the Synscan WiFi, it seems in the moment only "exclusive" available to some retailers in Europe and one in Australia. I expect to hold it in my hands by next week.

For the app itself, its still not final (v0.95) and still some functionality missing

It offers Brightest Star Alignment with 3 stars + 4 planets (Jupiter, Saturn, Venus and Mercury):dontknow:and North Level Alignment (when switch to South it is still called North Alignment, but the alignment stars are suitable for South).

What worked great so far in Emulator mode is using SkySafari with it, but a real test is still missing.

Cheers

Tom

• 8 months later...

Hi Guys

I have the Synscan Wi-Fi module

When connect, automatically detects my EQ5 mount

Have found a few bugs in it

First bug, if select 2 star alignment, like the other night, been in the southern hemisphere wanted to use Sirius and Canopus, when selected Sirius, the APP automatically went to second star option

The APP gave me 4 stars of its choosing, and was not able to select Canopus as my second star

Went back to one star alignment, and selected Sirius

The last 2 commands to save, is right and up to compensate for backlash

Did not matter how many times I tried, could not get to save

AutoHome function

When tried using that, wanted Dec Offset (deg)

Did not matter what figure I entered, kept getting an error message

In the end gave up, and manually returned to home using the control keys on the APP

Can find very little info online with respect to the Skywatcher Synscan Wi-Fi adapter

Not sure have to set the AutoHome function, on initial power-up, to give the APP a reference point

Except for that, the Wi-Fi unit works great

Automatically sets your GPS location, time and date from my Android phone

Available from multiple retailers in Australia, and my local astronomy retailer gave discount also as been a member of an astronomy club

Solar Mode

Have used in solar mode, and works well on my EQ5 mount, with my solar scope

Has a built in security option in solar mode

When select Observe Sun, get a warning message about solar viewing

Then gives a mathematical question

Example  123 + 345=?

Tap on ?, and phone keypad comes up, and type your answer

Then using hand controller align the sun

Last saturday night with my club, we had a day/night workshop

I did a rough one star alignment for solar viewing, using Aldebaran, as was close to the sun, and then fine tuned from there

The only problem was, over a period of time, the sun did drift out of alignment, slightly, due to using Aldebaran for alignment

Hope been of assistance

John

42 minutes ago, cletrac1922 said:

Hi Guys

I have the Synscan Wi-Fi module

When connect, automatically detects my EQ5 mount

Have found a few bugs in it

First bug, if select 2 star alignment, like the other night, been in the southern hemisphere wanted to use Sirius and Canopus, when selected Sirius, the APP automatically went to second star option

The APP gave me 4 stars of its choosing, and was not able to select Canopus as my second star

Went back to one star alignment, and selected Sirius

The last 2 commands to save, is right and up to compensate for backlash

Did not matter how many times I tried, could not get to save

AutoHome function

When tried using that, wanted Dec Offset (deg)

Did not matter what figure I entered, kept getting an error message

In the end gave up, and manually returned to home using the control keys on the APP

Can find very little info online with respect to the Skywatcher Synscan Wi-Fi adapter

Not sure have to set the AutoHome function, on initial power-up, to give the APP a reference point

Except for that, the Wi-Fi unit works great

Automatically sets your GPS location, time and date from my Android phone

Available from multiple retailers in Australia, and my local astronomy retailer gave discount also as been a member of an astronomy club

Solar Mode

Have used in solar mode, and works well on my EQ5 mount, with my solar scope

Has a built in security option in solar mode

When select Observe Sun, get a warning message about solar viewing

Then gives a mathematical question

Example  123 + 345=?

Tap on ?, and phone keypad comes up, and type your answer

Then using hand controller align the sun

Last saturday night with my club, we had a day/night workshop

I did a rough one star alignment for solar viewing, using Aldebaran, as was close to the sun, and then fine tuned from there

The only problem was, over a period of time, the sun did drift out of alignment, slightly, due to using Aldebaran for alignment

Hope been of assistance

John

Have you tried sending your findings with mount details,App versions and  screen prints to SW - I have found a number of problems with the Windows APP and they have solved most of them quickly (3/4 days). 

On ‎08‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 21:01, stash_old said:

I have been using app@skywatchertelescope.net 

I used support@skywatcher.com  last week, and as yet not receive a response back

What I found on the week-end, playing around with the APP a bit more

To return scope and mount to home position, use hibernate not AutoHome function

Still trying to find out what AutoHome used for

Cheers

John

Received the attached from Skywatcher overnight

Answers a lot of things

AutoHome is for a mount that has built-in home position sensors on both axes. Currently, only our EQ8 mount is equipped with such sensors,.

AutoHome helps to setup the mount to a determined home position accurately from any position.

Regards

SynScan App Team

Want to try and see if also works with Celestron SkyPortal APP

According to help in the APP, can be used for EQ mount users

Info located under Quick Start 

Scope Setup Help

Track RA Only (EQ mounts only)

When EQ alignment is complete, SkyPortal will track in both RA and Dec to keep your object centered in the field of view, even if the mount is not perfectly polar aligned

• 2 months later...
On 11/09/2017 at 07:40, tom886 said:

You can test without a Telescope connected as following by enabling the Telescope Emulator:

Step 1:
Tap “Setting” in SynScan App’s home screen.
Scroll to the bottom of the “Setting” screen.
Tap the blank area just above “Help” for 10 times.
Tap the “Hide Panel” button to show the extra lines.
Tap the “Connect Settings”
Tap “Emulator” to activate embedded telescope emulator.
Tap “UDP” to disable telescope emulator and return to operate real telescope.

Step 2:
Return to SynScan App’s home screen.
Tap the “Connect” button on the top of the screen, then choose “AZ mode” or “EQ Mode”
Now you can experience SynScan App without a real telescope. 

I odered the Synscan WiFi, it seems in the moment only "exclusive" available to some retailers in Europe and one in Australia. I expect to hold it in my hands by next week.

For the app itself, its still not final (v0.95) and still some functionality missing

It offers Brightest Star Alignment with 3 stars + 4 planets (Jupiter, Saturn, Venus and Mercury):dontknow:and North Level Alignment (when switch to South it is still called North Alignment, but the alignment stars are suitable for South).

What worked great so far in Emulator mode is using SkySafari with it, but a real test is still missing.

Cheers

Tom

Only been using the app for a few days, but I love it :)  Very easy to calibrate my new Skywatcher Skymax 127mm AZ-GTI Mak 

Archived