SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Allen socket screw advice

If it's a tripod it will most like be 1/4 UNC so the M6 ones won't work.  Try the M6 when they come, but whilst the size is similar, you may find the thread is too fine and they won't screw in fully.

I've probably got a few spare 1/4 bolts kicking around so try the M6, and if they don't work and you get stuck finding one I can always pop one in the post to you.

Agree it looks like 1/4 UNC or 1/4 BSW (both fit camera tripod mounts, they are deliberately made a bit sloppy as both standards are used but share the same pitch of 20tpi).

M6 has a pitch of 1mm so an M6 screw would have 10 threads in 10mm, that screw has 10 in about 12-13mm (i.e. 1/2 inch) which is right for 20tpi.

Lots of camera mount screws on eBay, these are UK:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Neewer-2-Pack-1-4-Mounting-Screw-0-39-10mm-Shaft-for-Camera-Tripod-Monopod-/311329209094?hash=item487caabb06:g:6aMAAOSwZKBZNlwy

Sorry Astrosurf, it looks like I gave you bad information. :blush: 1/4" UNC is much more likely given the thread pitch. :sad2: In that case the one in your picture is 5/8" long. I can send you some 3/8" or 1/2" long 1/4" UNC stainless steel that I have by way as an apology if that's OK.

I'll keep quiet in future.:hiding:

Alan

9 hours ago, symmetal said:

Don't do that, all advice is useful.  

It's a very easy mistake to make as we in the UK are so used to working in metric.  Of course much of the equipment we use is from the USA, who still work mostly in old money.

18 hours ago, RayD said:

If it's a tripod it will most like be 1/4 UNC so the M6 ones won't work.  Try the M6 when they come, but whilst the size is similar, you may find the thread is too fine and they won't screw in fully.

I've probably got a few spare 1/4 bolts kicking around so try the M6, and if they don't work and you get stuck finding one I can always pop one in the post to you.

Thank you!

12 hours ago, symmetal said:

Sorry Astrosurf, it looks like I gave you bad information. :blush: 1/4" UNC is much more likely given the thread pitch. :sad2: In that case the one in your picture is 5/8" long. I can send you some 3/8" or 1/2" long 1/4" UNC stainless steel that I have by way as an apology if that's OK.

Alan

Don't worry Alan! They're sure to come in handy for all the bits and bobs I need. :)

Thanks Astrosurf :smile: The M6 are commonly used in European Astro gear so they won't be wasted.

Here's a pic of some that I have. Just say the word and I can post a couple off to you. :wink2:

IMG_1918.thumb.jpg.fdeb0de1ea20168b6ee2a4d2d4055b43.jpg

If you want bigger quantities here are some links to Amazon and ebay for the 1/2" length. They are slightly cheaper on Amazon

Amazon (£1.90 for 5)

ebay (£1.85 for 4)

Alan

Archived