Narrowband

Astrofest 2018

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are usually tickets available still most speakers are confirmed so you should be ok till most of the speakers are announced.  However, if a 'celebrity' such as Brian Cox is giving a talk, that session could be sold out very quickly.  I would suggest you keep an eye on their website from the end of the year, as speakers are probably announced there first before being published in the mag - so you can get in quickly if you wish.

On 04/09/2017 at 10:10, michaelmorris said:

A real problem with Astrofest is that the full list of speakers and topics is often not released until 3 or 4 weeks before the event.  Why on earth the organisers can't get this sorted earlier is beyond me and is constant source of annoyance.

Same thoughts. I used to plan what Session would interest me the most and go at that time. Saturday afternoon would frequently be most popular but if I wanted to go on a Friday I would like to be able to plan in advance and book a day off work etc. but this does not seem to be the case in recent years.

• 3 months later...

I see it is 2 days this time round, wasn't last year 3 days? In a way better as they can have a bit higher concentration of good subjects per session. Last year it seemed to be one reasonable topic per session, with the others in more of a support or fill in role.

Speakers given seem mainly solar and cosmology from the present list, not sure who else may appear and from what field.

Getting to the stage where I would go for the browsing the retailers offerings, not the talks - they don't grip me much, however even getting in to look round is up around the £8 mark if I recall from last year. Puts me off for what is a browse round for an hour or so.

Will have to think.

• 3 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Phil Fargaze said:

I`ve just noticed that the conference details have been updated with the speakers and the subjects they will be speaking about. Times and running order still to be finalised.

How you're supposed to book a sessions of talks when you don't know who will be speaking about what, when is beyond me. :dontknow: It seems to get worse every year.   With the seemingly increasingly chaotic organisation of this event, the ever increasing price and the diminishing number of dealers that attend I think I'm going to give it a miss this year. 

1 hour ago, michaelmorris said:

How your supposed to book a sessions of talks when you don't know who will be speaking about what, when is beyond me. :dontknow: It seems to get worse every year.   With the seemingly increasingly chaotic organisation of this event, the ever increasing price and the diminishing number of dealers that attend I think I'm going to give it a miss this year. 

Yes - last time I looked there were very few dealers. Maybe I can go along this year without a credit card.....

I agree with you all. They could do with sorting themselves out.

And like you say, there were not so many dealers last year. I don't know why.

The talks are always good mind.

And to grumble a bit more i've just seen a 2 pass conference ticket has gone up to £40 !!

I'm sure it was 20 something last year....?

I always like to see Alan Chapmans talk, and mostly he does the Friday.

But sods law hes doing Saturday this year.

I will probably make the trip on the Friday though ; i've been every year since 2005.

And theres always something on the shopping list isn't there......?

Apart from the rising cost some dealers are fed up with having to cart expensive gear around to reach their spot, unlike the I.A.S at Stoneleigh where they can drive up to their pitch to unload.

I gave up dragging into London by train long ago even thought it's a short journey from here, I rather spend a couple of hours driving to Coventry :D

Dave

I must admit I went last year and it didn't inspire me to rush back again this year, even though I can get there very easily by train or motorbike.

I think if I'm doing nothing on the Saturday and it is nice weather I may pop along, but I won't be booking time off for it.

I think it was more the venue that didn't do it for me rather then the event or dealer displays.

8 minutes ago, RayD said:

I must admit I went last year and it didn't inspire me to rush back again this year, even though I can get there very easily by train or motorbike.

I think if I'm doing nothing on the Saturday and it is nice weather I may pop along, but I won't be booking time off for it.

I think it was more the venue that didn't do it for me rather then the event or dealer displays.

hahahaha i must admit, the venue choice was rather poor last time especially upstairs. I felt like i was in a council building trying to sort out my benefits. 

I only went because a friend wanted to buy some t-rings to fit his camera and i knew a few vendors who were displaying.

I might pop along again, but only for a bargain if i fancy having something which i'm still struggling to find out what.

I am sure when I first used to go to Astrofest that you could just book and pay for the lectures that interested you giving you time to look around the exhibition as well.  I object to having to pay for a whole session of lectures if only 1 or 2 interest me.

So I don't tend to go to the lectures, and generally use the day as a social event meeting up with old friends, meeting people from forums who I have only "spoken to" on the computer.  

It's also nice to speak to retailers face to face, and although I was well behaved last time I went, I do normally spent some money.

I didn't go last year as I was still recovering from my fracture, so if any-one on here recognises me from my Avatar, do introduce yourself.  Will probably go on Friday.  

Carole 

Archived