Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Problems with mini PC at the pier....

Hi All.

I bought a quad core mini PC a while back to have at my pier, controlled vis teamviewer...so that I would not need the long USB cables which had caused me issues in past.

I have now got an EQ6 mount which I am still learning to use, and as of yet not used in anger, just for testing purposes. When all connected up and ready to go, i turn all on, and start to slew and after a few seconds the computer turns off, also this happens when the PC and mount are plugged into the same 15 amp power supply...but even when I put the PC on its own power supply the PC still just switches off for no apparent reason other than being used, ie, camera connected or EQMOD connected either via BT or EQMOD cable, so there seems no apparent pattern to this....any ideas...?? 

I have even just had the mount connected via BT module (so no wires) mount and PC on different power supply’s, and still after a few mins the PC will just switch off for no reason, and sometimes won’t turn back on until the power supply jack plug is removed and left for a minute or so, then plugged back in and then it will switch back on.....is it maybe overheating..??

It also will switch off every time I either plug, or unplug USB cables from the PC, especially the EQMOD cable..

or is there an allternative to a PC at the pier and long USB cables..??

Thanks in advance for any help.. :)

Hi Lightbucket

Probably a faulty power supply in your PC.

Alternatively:

I have my PC in the warmroom, with a second monitor in the dome.

Occasionally I power up but forget to switch on the powered hub in the dome.

When I switch it on the dome monitor display disappears momentarily.

I think this is due to floating earths, the equipment at the end of the USB's are putting volts onto the PC.

I expect those who power their equipment from a single bench power supply don't have this problem.

Michael

17 minutes ago, michael8554 said:

Hi Lightbucket

Probably a faulty power supply in your PC.

Alternatively:

I have my PC in the warmroom, with a second monitor in the dome.

Occasionally I power up but forget to switch on the powered hub in the dome.

When I switch it on the dome monitor display disappears momentarily.

I think this is due to floating earths, the equipment at the end of the USB's are putting volts onto the PC.

I expect those who power their equipment from a single bench power supply don't have this problem.

Michael

Mine is all powered from a single 15 amp bench power supply... :)

There are several possibilities here. I can only offer a few pointers, given that I do not have sight of all of the equipment.

1/ Mains power supplies may, or may not, have a connection from the 0V (or negative) output to the mains earth. You can easily check this by checking for continuity between the earth pin on the 13A mains plug to the 0V connection on the power supply output. Usually, it is a good idea to have the 0V connected to mains earth. Note usually, not necessarily always.

2/ Computers, data adapters and monitors often have a 0V to mains earth or cable braid connection that is inside the equipment and cannot be modified.

When you understand the earthing (or lack of) in all of the items you are using, then you can look at what changes may be needed.

3/ USB ports (and more) are susceptible to static discharge. Beware when plugging in! Take anti static handling precautions.

4/ Network connected equipment (CAT5, CAT6) often has small transformers built into the back of the sockets to provide electrical isolation between connected equipment.
However, this is no always the case and you need to look carefully at the equipment specification. Or start prodding the connectors with a test meter.

5/ Make sure all of your power supplies are plugged into mains outlets that are near together. Not separated by many yards (or metres) of mains wiring. Whether permanent or temporary.

Just a few starters on what is a very big subject. Hope it helps, David.

Lightbucket,

Just a couple of other thoughts to add to the above.  Have you set up this mini PC's screen/power options for itself?  e.g.  If you leave the PC alone and don't touch it or make any commands of it, is its default screen saver / power options set to always stay on no matter what is or isn't happening.  Is it going into Standby mode or Sleep mode due to its settings or lack thereof?

I'm not familiar with this item in that I don't know what it is. Do you have a link for where you got it from?  Is it running a version of Windows or Linux?

You're saying there that you have it on a bench PSU and that is for all your kit at 15 Amps, however what voltage?  Don't forget, when you plug in a USB, not only is there all of what Carbon Brush said, but most USB's will also draw 5v from the PC/Laptop as well (depending if it needs power as well of course).

Rgds,

Chris  

Is it possible the PC doesn't like the 13.8V. Mine's a fanless mini PC and I adjusted the common power supply down to about 12.6V as I was concerned that it might overheat. It takes about 400mA when doing nothing but goes up to around 1A when running what it needs for imaging. Working 1.8V above the 12V is was designed for, it has to dissipate an extra 1.8W of heat. Plugging any USB device in, the current goes up a bit more so may be tipping it over the edge.

An easy way to drop the 13.8V to around 12V is to put two rectifier diodes in series with the supply to the PC. Rectifier diodes drop around 1V as opposed to signal diodes which drop around 0.6V.

Alan

It’s an unbranded one, with quad core j1900 processor, 8gb RAM, 240gb Crucial SSD, 2xUSB 3.0,  4xUSB 2.0, serial port, HDMI port, card reader, WIFI, BT,  Network socket, it’s very neat, 9” x 5” x 1” 

But don’t matter what it is if I can’t het it to work properly.... :(:(

5 minutes ago, symmetal said:

Oh right, so you're mini PC runs off 19V similar to notebooks. What model mini PC is it?

Alan

I see you live in a beautiful part of the country, we currently have our house up for sale and are trying to retire to North Cornwall, just can’t sell it.. :(

The output of the 12V-19V converter (is it the type for running notebooks in cars) may well be floating with no ground reference. Plugging in a USB lead will probably give it a ground reference of sorts. This may or may not cause problems but you could try connecting the '0V' going to the PC to a proper 'ground' in your setup using a reasonably thick wire. You don't really want cable screens or 0V signal wires carrying ground currents.

This may have nothing to do with your problem but I'm running out of ideas at the moment. :icon_scratch:

Hope you get more luck selling your house. Lovely dark skies here but be prepared for lots of cloud. :clouds1:

42 minutes ago, symmetal said:

The output of the 12V-19V converter (is it the type for running notebooks in cars) may well be floating with no ground reference. Plugging in a USB lead will probably give it a ground reference of sorts. This may or may not cause problems but you could try connecting the '0V' going to the PC to a proper 'ground' in your setup using a reasonably thick wire. You don't really want cable screens or 0V signal wires carrying ground currents.

This may have nothing to do with your problem but I'm running out of ideas at the moment. :icon_scratch:

Hope you get more luck selling your house. Lovely dark skies here but be prepared for lots of cloud. :clouds1:

This makes sense to me, thanks very much, may be the reason it works fine on the wall plug mains charger that came with the PC

and yes it is the type that runs laptops from a car 12v socket.

Archived