sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

I've been toying with te idea of getting the skymax 127 for a while, and I've noticed the picture has changed now to one with a rather unsightly green dovetail.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/maksutov/skywatcher-skymax-127-ota.html

After seeing this video, I noticed that the older one says Schoot glass on the side, and came with 2" diagonal.

The newer version seems to have a 1.25" diagonal now and doesn't have the label on the side.

Can anyone confirm this? Would it not using Schott glass anymore have an impact on quality?

Edited by Shaun_Astro

The early ED refractors didn't have the Schott emblem on them, but the glass still came from Schott. I wouldn't worry in the slightest about the Mak not having the emblem on the tube as its almost certainly still Schott glass. Even if SkyWatcher now use another glass manufacturer, the optical quality of the glass itself is bound to be of very high quality. It's the optical engineers not Schott that turn the glass into the amazingly good Maksutov Cassegrain. 

I've used many Mak Casses but can't remember any that came with a 2" diagonal. And as far as the green dovetail goes, I think its probably a new colour scheme that SkyWatcher are introducing. The new AZ5 has a green ring on the altitude axis, so may be its going to be a theme across the board?!

I wouldn't worry about the optics, I'm sure they will be excellent! Worst case scinareo, you can simply return the scope if it isn't up to the same high standard, but I'm sure it will be! :happy11:

• Like 1

The 127 Skymax is a very capable scope, i have never heard of it being sold with 2" diagonal, though skywatcher do list it on the international website, this scope was designed to work well with 1.25 EP`s

• Like 1
  • 3 years later...

I just got a Skymax 180 and also didn’t have the Schott logo like my Skymax 150 has. I emailed skywatcher and they told me they no longer put the logo on their scopes but still use Schott glass. I wouldn’t worry about it. My 150 was an amazing scope and can’t wait to try the 180! I just need it to stop raining! It’s been raining for a week!

My understanding is that the Schott logo was a time-limited marketing deal between Skywatcher and Schott that has now run out. They still use the same glass (changing it would require major optical redesign), they just don’t advertise it. 

I agree the green is unsightly. I got a Russian Intes instead - that thing is SUPPOSED to be unsightly, it is part of the charm!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Astrofriend
      Hi all,
      I wrote earlier about a Star Party here in Sweden, now I have been on a second one this year, the MAK or Mariestad Star Party.
      I took some photos from the party and wrote some text to it for all people that couldn't visit the party, you can see them here:
      http://www.astrofriend.eu/travel/sweden/mariestad-star-party-2018/mariestad-star-party-2018.html
      There is also some photos from the travel to the party and back home.
      I hope some of you can visit Sweden in the future.
      BR
      Lars
    • By Dazzyt66
      Just cos I'm interested...
      We know Maks are great at planets and lunar. Lets showcase any images that are NOT planets or lunar. Has to be done through a Mak. Any camera setup. Any mount setup.
      My two first tries are single frames of Dumbbell and Ring nebular from a couple of years ago. Once the clouds clear I intend to try some proper stacked DSO imaging... so this thread is to give me inspiration of the art of the possible...

• By therion82
      Hello there! If someone has a 127 mak, in great condition (and reasonable price), that doesn't use/want anymore, (and he's/she's willing to post to Europe, at buyer's cost) can surely drop me a message!
      thanks!!!
    • By misfit
      Here is my little Mak with 3d printed finder/focusser bracket, along with nice red sky-watcher logo 

• By BRUN
      I bought this at the start of the year with some xmas cash i had, and its been great, but recently ive had back issues from the gym, and my neighbour has installed a load of lights in their garden, meaning i now need something a bit lighter and more portable so i can go elsewhere to observe.
      It is a used scope obviously but as far as i know its in good condition, all the GoTo system works, ive never messed with any screws for collimation etc as i dont know how to do it lol, the previous owner assured me the mirror has never been cleaned or touched, and its been kept in my garage under a telescope cover, the middle cover, the EP cover, and the elasticated end cover are all with it.
      The previous owner has fitted wheels to the base which does make it moveable, but i thought that by pushing it up the street it might affect collimation so ive only ever pushed it a few feet and then lifted it out of my garage. Also fitted is a counterweight, I found this really helps. It will also come with a light shroud, pretty sure its the Astrozap one, and the original EP's. 
      As far as im aware it was the previous owner who added the GoTo handset to this scope, im pretty sure it didnt come with it from new, it had a smaller controller with no display which will also come with it, it all works fine ive never had a problem with it, the only small issues ive had were all user error as this is my first scope, wrong date and time etc
      Being reasonably new to astronomy im not quite sure what to price this at, and it would be collection only im afraid, from St Helens, Merseyside. I still have the original boxes if required but obviously the base is built up so wouldnt go back in the box.
      Pics to follow soon
      Looking on eBay i can see two 250 dobs priced at £400+, neither are the flextube or have GoTo
      Price reduced to £500 as id like a quick sale, ive bought a new scope now and need to the money for a few bits for that before i go away on holiday

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.