Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First binoculars viewing

Ger

Hi all

Just getting back into looking up to the skies after the summer, I notice that the skies were clear tonight and as I'm keen to take in Saturn for the first time with the telescope I decide to get started on enjoying this time of year, however due houses, trees and light pollution looking south was a bit of a problem.

So I decided to take out my cheap binoculars, I got a good few of the moon and easily picked out some of my old favourite craters. I had a go at Saturn by hanging out of the upstairs window, now this was difficult for obvious reasons and in still not sure if I managed to get some sort of glimpse at its ring or if it was my mind play games with me.

I then grabbed a chair and sat in my North facing back garden and had perfect skies. With stellarium in one hand and the binoculars in the other i was picking of the constellations.

Quick question.. how long with Saturn remain visible in the evening skies? I'm heading off for my first dark site visit at the end of next month and was hoping to take a look when I bring my telescope

Thanks

Ger 

11 hours ago, Ger said:

how long with Saturn remain visible in the evening skies? I'm heading off for my first dark site visit at the end of next month and was hoping to take a look when I bring my telescope

It will be setting very early then but darkness will set in earlier too so it might just about be possible. You don't need especially dark skies for Saturn but given the location in the sky but you do need a clear sight to the horizon. I would be inclined to look for somewhere local with a good south west view now rather than wait.

As you asked this on Sept 1st and said "end of next month" that means end of October. Correct or end of Sept??

In the last week or ten days of October Saturn will be just 10 Degrees above the horizon according to Stellarium as the evening sets in, not dark but dusk, around 18:00 to 19:00. So will not be easy, the atmosphere is likely to deteriorate what you can see also when that low.

One thing I have found is what looks low in Stellarium seems higher in the real world.

1 hour ago, ronin said:

As you asked this on Sept 1st and said "end of next month" that means end of October. Correct or end of Sept??

In the last week or ten days of October Saturn will be just 10 Degrees above the horizon according to Stellarium as the evening sets in, not dark but dusk, around 18:00 to 19:00. So will not be easy, the atmosphere is likely to deteriorate what you can see also when that low.

One thing I have found is what looks low in Stellarium seems higher in the real world.

Thanks ronin, you are correct I am looking towards the end of October, I will try and take in Saturn before then and select my targets for my trip in October 

Archived