Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_christmas_presents.thumb.jpg.587637e0d01baf4b6d21b73610610bbb.jpg

Barry-Wilson

Crescent Nebula and Soap Bubble

A relatively short integration for this bi-colour HOO Crescent and Soap Bubble. I have heard imagers remark how difficult this target is to process and achieve a harmonious balance across the frame with its differing elements:- I couldn't agree more :laughing4:.  It's a tricky one and not too sure if I've over-cooked this image and not been sympathetic with the data.

I have found that the Tak FSQ106 really does love to cool down in the first couple of hours of an evening and in the first few 1800s subs the focus would drift as a result.  I have SGP refocus every 0.7 degrees C and the temp was dropping over 1 degree C in half-hour.  Ho hum.  Memo to self: must open up the roof to give scope chance to equilibriate in August.

The data was gathered in the last few days of August, finishing the processing on the 1st September.

Details:

• FSQ106 at F5
  • Mount GM1000HPS
  • QSI683wsg8 with Astrodon 5nm NB filters
  • 6 x 1800s Ha; 6 x 1800s OIII; total 6 hrs integration (some subs rejected for focus drift)
  • SGP for capture and PI for processing

CS to all! & thanks for looking.

HOO_Blend_Final.thumb.jpg.eb10454c10b3614a46fba76e4cc5bc06.jpg

Edited by Barry-Wilson
  • Like 13

Great work Barry.  I'd say you nailed it.

Very nice! Great composition too! Perhaps you could add some more data so you could hold back a tad with the noise reduction?

The focus temperature instability is indeed a weak spot (the only?) in the fsq-106ED. I've owned a TeleVue np101is petzval telescope (you could call it the American fsq) and it had the same issue. I heard the older blue fsq models are much less critical to temperature focus shift.

Pieter

Wonderful, so deep, you've done a fabulous job with the OIII within the Crescent

Just now, MartinB said:

Wonderful, so deep, you've done a fabulous job with the OIII within the Crescent

Thanks Martin.

it's all bean said so i'l just say it is a pleasure to look at great image Barry